Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
suvayu ali

Default System time running fast

Hi Tanmoy,

On 29 September 2010 11:35, Tanmoy Chatterjee <bum.jee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To achieve this in Fedora (and probably will work for Ubuntu too) is to
>> open up system-config-date and under the "Time" tab check the box saying
>> "System clock uses UTC".
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH Suvayu. You have solved my problem. Sorry for
> being late to reply.

You are welcome.

>> I would also recommend turning ntpd on (a
>> check-box on "Date and Time" tab)
> I have not done this though. Is it necessary?

As I mentioned, its recommended but not necessary. With ntpd turned on
your clock will be kept synchronised with other time servers on the
internet. This is a good way to keep your system clock synchronised
without worrying about it.

> One thing I want to share with you and other users here - I have also
> been a subscriber to another user's mailing list - though I am not
> here for long - still the queries I have posted here got quick and
> perfect solution than elsewhere - it seems to me the users here are
> more knowledgeable than elsewhere.

I am a very new Fedora user/member of this list. But there are many
people on this list who have been here long before GNU/Linux came into
existence. So yes, I agree the collective wisdom of mailing lists like
this one can be phenomenal.

--
Suvayu

Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Tim

Tanmoy Chatterjee:
>> I have not done this though. Is it necessary?

suvayu ali:
> As I mentioned, its recommended but not necessary. With ntpd turned on
> your clock will be kept synchronised with other time servers on the
> internet. This is a good way to keep your system clock synchronised
> without worrying about it.

And, so long as your computer stays close to real time, NTP will keep it
exactly on real time, and you'll never have to set your clock again.

Only if the computer's clock get seriously out of step will NTP abandon
trying to keep it on time, automatically. Though, you can configure
things so that each boot up the clock is forced to real time, and NTP
then keeps it on time.

In a era where you're surrounded by equipment with clocks, it's nice to
have at least some of them take care of themselves. If you have several
computers, it's useful for fault finding if all their logs have
synchronised timestamps in their logs. And if you ever have to submit
something like a firewall log to someone to trace an attack, they're not
going to want it unless it's timestamps are precise. A NTP synchronised
clock will do the job for you.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Tanmoy Chatterjee

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Tanmoy Chatterjee:
>>> I have not done this though. Is it necessary?
>
> suvayu ali:
>> As I mentioned, its recommended but not necessary. With ntpd turned on
>> your clock will be kept synchronised with other time servers on the
>> internet. This is a good way to keep your system clock synchronised
>> without worrying about it.
>
> And, so long as your computer stays close to real time, NTP will keep it
> exactly on real time, and you'll never have to set your clock again.
>
> Only if the computer's clock get seriously out of step will NTP abandon
> trying to keep it on time, automatically. *Though, you can configure
> things so that each boot up the clock is forced to real time, and NTP
> then keeps it on time.
>
> In a era where you're surrounded by equipment with clocks, it's nice to
> have at least some of them take care of themselves. *If you have several
> computers, it's useful for fault finding if all their logs have
> synchronised timestamps in their logs. *And if you ever have to submit
> something like a firewall log to someone to trace an attack, they're not
> going to want it unless it's timestamps are precise. *A NTP synchronised
> clock will do the job for you.
Thank you very much. Things are clearer to me now.
Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Tanmoy Chatterjee

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:42 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tanmoy,
>
> On 29 September 2010 11:35, Tanmoy Chatterjee <bum.jee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To achieve this in Fedora (and probably will work for Ubuntu too) is to
>>> open up system-config-date and under the "Time" tab check the box saying
>>> "System clock uses UTC".
>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH Suvayu. You have solved my problem. Sorry for
>> being late to reply.
>
> You are welcome.
>
>>> I would also recommend turning ntpd on (a
>>> check-box on "Date and Time" tab)
>> I have not done this though. Is it necessary?
>
> As I mentioned, its recommended but not necessary. With ntpd turned on
> your clock will be kept synchronised with other time servers on the
> internet. This is a good way to keep your system clock synchronised
> without worrying about it.
Thanks - I will turn on the ntpd on my system now.