Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Gene Heskett

Default totem question

Other than it has been a problem child in the past, how does one go about
making totem work with FF3?

Do I need to softlink its plugins directory to the /usr/lib/plugins where I
have everything else? Perhaps using the lndir command?

I ask because clicking on a .mov in FF3 causes an instant, clean exit of FF3.
And I do have all the libquicktime stuffs installed.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 08:26 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Other than it has been a problem child in the past, how does one go about
> making totem work with FF3?
>
> Do I need to softlink its plugins directory to the /usr/lib/plugins where I
> have everything else? Perhaps using the lndir command?
>
> I ask because clicking on a .mov in FF3 causes an instant, clean exit of FF3.
> And I do have all the libquicktime stuffs installed.
>
> --
In later versions of Fedora you just remove totem:
yum remove totem
and install totem-xine
yum install totem-xine

The executable is still called totem.

-

-

Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 21 January 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 08:26 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Other than it has been a problem child in the past, how does one go about
>> making totem work with FF3?
>>
>> Do I need to softlink its plugins directory to the /usr/lib/plugins where
>> I have everything else? Perhaps using the lndir command?
>>
>> I ask because clicking on a .mov in FF3 causes an instant, clean exit of
>> FF3. And I do have all the libquicktime stuffs installed.
>>
>> --
>
>In later versions of Fedora you just remove totem:
>yum remove totem
Worked
>and install totem-xine
>yum install totem-xine
Fails, no totem-xine package available for F8

>The executable is still called totem.

So I also removed the totem-plugin and totem-plparser with yumex. Then went
on down the list and installed the rest of the xine-* stuff except
the -devel.

Then I cleaned up the leftovers the remove didn't remove with mc, then moved
the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins that xine put in, to /usr/lib/plugins, blew away
the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory and made a link to /usr/lib/plugins
from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, something I shoulda done in any event.

I found that when using privoxy & squid, an F5 doesn't cause a reload to
update the aboutlugins page so one must exit and restart firefox to reload
that data.

Now firefox doesn't crash and burn instantly when I follow the last link on
the NASA page linked to from /. to:

<http://www.nasa.gov/mov/208323main_opnav_jan09_jan13.mov>

However, it says it is using mplayer-3.5.0, which is the first plugin in the
aboutlugins display that says it can do .mov's, so xine has nothing to do
with this crash, it was the totem plugin that was listed above it as being
able to do .mov's. Obviously it cannot or the default totem install was
broken.

And if the above link is a movie, its only 9 frames with a 1 second delay
between them. Takes about 10 seconds to 'Done'. It seems like there should
be more to it than that after all the hoopla about "hundreds of images"...

What are other users getting on this link?

One final question, /usr/lib/mozilla has a 'plugins-wrapped' directory with
what appears to be something like ndiswrapper sorts of things in it. I have
no idea where this came from but its quite recent, looks as if it may be
related to building and installing mplayer a couple of days ago:

[root@coyote lib]# cd mozilla/plugins-wrapped/
[root@coyote plugins-wrapped]# ls -l
total 552
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 2008-01-19 19:08
mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 2008-01-19 19:08
mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 2008-01-19 19:08
mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 2008-01-19 19:08
mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 2008-01-19 19:08
mplayerplug-in.xpt -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2008-01-15 21:50
npwrapper.so -> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npwrapper.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80584 2008-01-15 21:50
nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80584 2008-01-19 19:08
nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80584 2008-01-19 19:08
nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-qt.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80584 2008-01-19 19:08
nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-rm.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80584 2008-01-19 19:08
nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80584 2008-01-19 19:08
nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-wmp.so

And the links are all good.

And I have NDI if its involved here or not. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Monday 21 January 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:

In later versions of Fedora you just remove totem:
yum remove totem

Worked

and install totem-xine
yum install totem-xine

Fails, no totem-xine package available for F8

The totem-xine package is not in the standard Fedora repositories. I
know you can get it from Livna. I have not checked the other
repositories.

Mikkel

Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 21 January 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 21 January 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> In later versions of Fedora you just remove totem:
>>> yum remove totem
>>
>> Worked
>>
>>> and install totem-xine
>>> yum install totem-xine
>>
>> Fails, no totem-xine package available for F8
>
>The totem-xine package is not in the standard Fedora repositories. I
>know you can get it from Livna. I have not checked the other
>repositories.
>
>Mikkel

I had enough livna troubles to last me a while when I was running FC6. If I
have to move outside the auspices of the rpm packagers, then I've found I'm
far better off to just build the tarball and be done with it. Which is what
I did with mplayer itself, but not its plugin, which was available.

Thanks Mikkel.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Gene Heskett wrote:

I had enough livna troubles to last me a while when I was running FC6. If I
have to move outside the auspices of the rpm packagers, then I've found I'm
far better off to just build the tarball and be done with it. Which is what
I did with mplayer itself, but not its plugin, which was available.

Thanks Mikkel.

Rather then building directly from the source, you may want to
consider downloading the source RPM and building from that. That
way, you are still using the package manager. That way, it will
hopefully warn you when an update is going to break things.

I have done this for a lot of packages. The only drawback is that
when you go to update, you may have to remove the packages yourself
before you can update to the next release of Fedora. It helps if you
keep a record of the packages you build, both to help when you
upgrade, and so you know what you are going to have to build again.
Because I build RPMs as a user, I normally have the ones I build in
my home directory, so it is easy. If I want to use the same version,
I just rebuild the package from the source RPM, using the updated
libraries. If not, the old spec file is a good place to start if I
can not get a source RPM for the new version.

Mikkel

Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 21 January 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I had enough livna troubles to last me a while when I was running FC6. If
>> I have to move outside the auspices of the rpm packagers, then I've found
>> I'm far better off to just build the tarball and be done with it. Which
>> is what I did with mplayer itself, but not its plugin, which was
>> available.
>>
>> Thanks Mikkel.
>
>Rather then building directly from the source, you may want to
>consider downloading the source RPM and building from that. That
>way, you are still using the package manager. That way, it will
>hopefully warn you when an update is going to break things.
>
>I have done this for a lot of packages. The only drawback is that
>when you go to update, you may have to remove the packages yourself
>before you can update to the next release of Fedora. It helps if you
>keep a record of the packages you build, both to help when you
>upgrade, and so you know what you are going to have to build again.
>Because I build RPMs as a user, I normally have the ones I build in
>my home directory, so it is easy. If I want to use the same version,
>I just rebuild the package from the source RPM, using the updated
>libraries. If not, the old spec file is a good place to start if I
>can not get a source RPM for the new version.
>
>Mikkel

Unforch, I have yet to come onto a tutorial on writing spec files that
explains it in sufficient detail that _I_ can understand it. If I want an
rpm, I may use checkinstall, but its so bloody broken that by the time I get
a good rpm built with it, the spec file, and its dependency list are badly
broken. I built a gutenprint that ran my printer perfectly, but had to use
smarts ability to freeze a version in place else the updates from FC6
insisted on installing gimp-print-4.2.7, a 5 year old orphaned for the last 4
years package, over the top of it. My printer is an antique Epson C82, but
gimp-print-4.2.7 never heard of it other than as a generic.

Now if someone were to write a tutorial on spec file's, starting at the
McGuffy's Readers level, I MIGHT be able to do that. If it exists, I haven't
found it, and I have asked here for guidance several times.

Thanks Mikkel.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 13:03 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 21 January 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >> In later versions of Fedora you just remove totem:
> >> yum remove totem
> > Worked
> >> and install totem-xine
> >> yum install totem-xine
> > Fails, no totem-xine package available for F8
> >
> The totem-xine package is not in the standard Fedora repositories. I
> know you can get it from Livna. I have not checked the other
> repositories.
>
> Mikkel
I should have mentioned that it is in the livna repository.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 PM
David Boles

Gene Heskett wrote:
| On Monday 21 January 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
|> Gene Heskett wrote:
|>> I had enough livna troubles to last me a while when I was running FC6. If
|>> I have to move outside the auspices of the rpm packagers, then I've found
|>> I'm far better off to just build the tarball and be done with it. Which
|>> is what I did with mplayer itself, but not its plugin, which was
|>> available.
|>>
|>> Thanks Mikkel.
|> Rather then building directly from the source, you may want to
|> consider downloading the source RPM and building from that. That
|> way, you are still using the package manager. That way, it will
|> hopefully warn you when an update is going to break things.
|>
|> I have done this for a lot of packages. The only drawback is that
|> when you go to update, you may have to remove the packages yourself
|> before you can update to the next release of Fedora. It helps if you
|> keep a record of the packages you build, both to help when you
|> upgrade, and so you know what you are going to have to build again.
|> Because I build RPMs as a user, I normally have the ones I build in
|> my home directory, so it is easy. If I want to use the same version,
|> I just rebuild the package from the source RPM, using the updated
|> libraries. If not, the old spec file is a good place to start if I
|> can not get a source RPM for the new version.
|>
|> Mikkel
|
| Unforch, I have yet to come onto a tutorial on writing spec files that
| explains it in sufficient detail that _I_ can understand it. If I want an
| rpm, I may use checkinstall, but its so bloody broken that by the time I
get
| a good rpm built with it, the spec file, and its dependency list are badly
| broken. I built a gutenprint that ran my printer perfectly, but had to use
| smarts ability to freeze a version in place else the updates from FC6
| insisted on installing gimp-print-4.2.7, a 5 year old orphaned for the
last 4
| years package, over the top of it. My printer is an antique Epson C82, but
| gimp-print-4.2.7 never heard of it other than as a generic.
|
| Now if someone were to write a tutorial on spec file's, starting at the
| McGuffy's Readers level, I MIGHT be able to do that. If it exists, I
haven't
| found it, and I have asked here for guidance several times.
|
| Thanks Mikkel.

Does this help Gene?

Building Packages in Fedora
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide

- --

~ David

Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 21 January 2008, David Boles wrote:
[...]
>Does this help Gene?
>
>Building Packages in Fedora
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide

Looks like it might, printing 19 pages of it now, judgment reserved till I try
it. Yeah, I kill a lot of trees here.

Thanks David.

--
Cheers, Gene