Old 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Gary Stainburn

Default F13 <-> Samsung Galaxy S via USB

On Thursday 23 September 2010 00:23:33 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> writes:
> > If you look at the following extract from /var/log/messages, you can see
> > that it gets as far as seeing the two devices (Phone memory and Micro SD
> > card) but doesn't make them available. The Toshiba shown below is the
> > memory stick that works.
>
> Did you use the Android pull-down menu and tap "USB Connected
Select to
> copy files to/from your computer"? Without doing that the storage is
> still owned by Android. If you select that you get to unount the
> storage from the android phone and make it available to the
> usb-connected computer for mounting. The file system isn't dual-ported.
> Only one device can mount it at once.
>
> -wolfgang

Wolfgang

I haven't done this, and I can't find the menu option on the Galaxy.

I have found a number of posts saying to turn on USB debugging, and other
posts saying to not do that,

If I do this, it works fine, and it looks like as part of this it does release
the SD cards from Android. Unmounting from Linux then gives them back to
Android, which can then access them fine again.

I would like to be able to do this without having to use USB debugging, but
ultimately, I would like to know

1) why I need to do this in the first place. Surely choosing 'Mass Storage' on
the Galaxy should do this itself
2) Why it works first time under Windows without having to install anything,
as soon as I choose 'Mass Storage'.

--
Gary Stainburn

Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 12:27 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2010 00:23:33 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> writes:
> > > If you look at the following extract from /var/log/messages, you can see
> > > that it gets as far as seeing the two devices (Phone memory and Micro SD
> > > card) but doesn't make them available. The Toshiba shown below is the
> > > memory stick that works.
> >
> > Did you use the Android pull-down menu and tap "USB Connected
Select to
> > copy files to/from your computer"? Without doing that the storage is
> > still owned by Android. If you select that you get to unount the
> > storage from the android phone and make it available to the
> > usb-connected computer for mounting. The file system isn't dual-ported.
> > Only one device can mount it at once.
> >
> > -wolfgang
>
> Wolfgang
>
> I haven't done this, and I can't find the menu option on the Galaxy.
>
> I have found a number of posts saying to turn on USB debugging, and other
> posts saying to not do that,
>
> If I do this, it works fine, and it looks like as part of this it does release
> the SD cards from Android. Unmounting from Linux then gives them back to
> Android, which can then access them fine again.
>
> I would like to be able to do this without having to use USB debugging, but
> ultimately, I would like to know
>
> 1) why I need to do this in the first place. Surely choosing 'Mass Storage' on
> the Galaxy should do this itself
> 2) Why it works first time under Windows without having to install anything,
> as soon as I choose 'Mass Storage'.
----
one of the issues is that Samsung is behind the curve in Android
choosing to make all sorts of phones with all sorts of customizations
for every carrier under the sun but never quite worked out many of the
hardware issues with their phones. Consequently many things don't work
as expected on the Samsung phones that work fine with HTC and Motorola
phones. Eventually they will get their issues worked out.

In the meantime, if all you need to do to make it work is to leave USB
debugging turned on, that hardly seems to be worth making a fuss over -
just leave it turned on and wait for Samsung to come out with updates. I
noticed that they came up with updates for a couple of US carriers so
their GPS finally works - that's a big improvement already.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 04:01:43 am Gary Stainburn wrote:
> My laptop is dual boot with WinXP.
> In XP it works perfectly fine, but as Samsung Keis and as mass storage.
> I have completed a firmware update but it has made no difference.
>
> It still doesn't work, with the /var/log/messages entry still being the
> same as my first post
I dont have access to windows at all so i have no idea how it works there.
but my captivate ( at&t branded galaxy s) i select storage then i have to
slide down the notification bar select the "USB connected select to copy files
to/from your computer" then tell it yes mount. after that its automatically
mounted for me. when done i need to redo that procedure and tell it to
unmount. after ive unmounted from my laptop/desktop. I assume that you need
to do the same thing for whatever galaxy s variant it is that you have.

Dennis