Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM
"Henrik Frisk"

Default X-apps UI font is too big after installing FC8

Hi,

I just upgraded my system from FC5 to FC8 (fresh install). Though it looks fantastic and works great so far, I have a small issue with the UI font of some (X)applications. The UI font in emacs, gv, scribus, xdvi, xpdf etc is too big. It's obviously a missing font or similar, but I can't seem to get around it. Any help would be appreciated.

Henrik

Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Todd Zullinger

Henrik Frisk wrote:
> I just upgraded my system from FC5 to FC8 (fresh install). Though it
> looks fantastic and works great so far, I have a small issue with
> the UI font of some (X)applications. The UI font in emacs, gv,
> scribus, xdvi, xpdf etc is too big. It's obviously a missing font or
> similar, but I can't seem to get around it. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Check the DPI setting. It used to be hardcoded at 96 DPI in Gnome,
but with the current upstream release it is now determined from your
monotor size (and/or some other data). Open System -> Preferences ->
Look and Feel -> Appearance. Then, on the Fonts tab, select the
Details button and check/adjust the resolution and see if that helps.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
"Henrik Frisk"

2008/1/21 Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com>:

Henrik Frisk wrote:
> I just upgraded my system from FC5 to FC8 (fresh install). Though it
> looks fantastic and works great so far, I have a small issue with
> the UI font of some (X)applications. The UI font in emacs, gv,

> scribus, xdvi, xpdf etc is too big. It's obviously a missing font or
> similar, but I can't seem to get around it. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Check the DPI setting. *It used to be hardcoded at 96 DPI in Gnome,

but with the current upstream release it is now determined from your
monotor size (and/or some other data). *Open System -> Preferences ->
Look and Feel -> Appearance. *Then, on the Fonts tab, select the

Details button and check/adjust the resolution and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I've been there but as far as I can tell, this affects the font size of the Desktop UI . My issue is only with* some applications. I'm not a GUI wizard, but I think that applications that use its own, or gnome's GUI widgets for dialogs etc look good, whereas apps that rely on xorg have to large font sizes (tab description overflow the size of the tab etc.). I may be completely wrong about this though. Bottom line is ooffice and firefox looks good, gv looks bad (actually, not bad, just big). The emacs UI I resolved by setting the default font to the terminus font but I have to have to do that for all apps for which this is an issue.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Todd Zullinger

Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I've been there but as far as I can tell, this
> affects the font size of the Desktop UI . My issue is only with some
> applications. I'm not a GUI wizard, but I think that applications
> that use its own, or gnome's GUI widgets for dialogs etc look good,
> whereas apps that rely on xorg have to large font sizes (tab
> description overflow the size of the tab etc.). I may be completely
> wrong about this though. Bottom line is ooffice and firefox looks
> good, gv looks bad (actually, not bad, just big). The emacs UI I
> resolved by setting the default font to the terminus font but I have
> to have to do that for all apps for which this is an issue.

Ahh, ok. Perhaps it's just a matter of installing xorg-x11-xfs and
having that run? I believe that it was disabled by default in F8. I
haven't used any apps that still use the ancient X font setup instead
of fontconfig though, so I don't really know what the best solution
for making fonts work for those apps is these days.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
"Paul Johnson"

i have this problem with huge fonts, but only sometimes, apparently at
random. if i restart, all is well. then, after a day or two--poof!
Huge text in firefox.

if you find a reason, please post in this thread

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science