Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Jim Cornette

Default X.org Keeps Dying Out Of The Blue

Kelly Miller wrote:

Jim Cornette wrote:
The /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old shows the information from the previous
GUI launch. It might show the failure. Which logs are you checking?
What Graphics Processor are you using?
Usually screensavers show random crashes. Are you running any 3D
programs or running random screensavers?

JIm
I'm checking messages, Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old. There are no
error messages in any of them (unless this counts: BOGUS LENGTH in write
keyboard desc, expected 5352, got 5356 , but the system keeps running,
so I don't think that's it). My card is a Radeon 9200SE+, IIRC it's
r280 (X.org loads the driver for the r200 line to provide 3D
acceleration), and no, it never happens when I'm running screensavers or
3D programs, only when I'm working with GUI-based programs (it happened
once with Smart, once with Firefox, and once with Gnome Mines, and there
are more that I can't remember).

Probably testing with the vesa driver for awhile to see if the failure
occurs or with the ati binary drivers from one of the various repos that
package them in rpm form are good testing options.

I did find a direct hit for the keyboard error on a gentoo list but was
unable to translate it since Polish was not one of the choices. The
server did appear to finish up with that message though.

Jim

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-639746.html?sid=736a8d4abc3a0dddd571722c07d88d9d

--
"You've got to think about tomorrow!"
"TOMORROW! I haven't even prepared for *yesterday* yet!"

Old 01-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Kelly Miller

Jim Cornette wrote:
Probably testing with the vesa driver for awhile to see if the failure
occurs or with the ati binary drivers from one of the various repos
that package them in rpm form are good testing options.

I did find a direct hit for the keyboard error on a gentoo list but
was unable to translate it since Polish was not one of the choices.
The server did appear to finish up with that message though.

Jim

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-639746.html?sid=736a8d4abc3a0dddd571722c07d88d9d

It still might be the mouse, then. I use a Logitech Cordless MX Duo,
through the USB port, and both devices pass info that way. My keyboard
works 100%, but my mouse has been acting oddly lately, and I do know
that the black screen usually occurs when I'm clicking on something.
The problem I was having with the mouse was related to clicking;
sometimes, the system acts like I was hammering on the button over and
over again, registering multiple clicks when I only performed one...

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Brian Mury

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 19:39 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> I'm not sure what the problem could be; all I know is that randomly,
> while I'm working on the desktop, my monitor goes dark and shows an
> "Input Not Supported" message.

This has been happening to me as well on F8. I just hadn't gotten around
to reporting it yet. FC1 through F7 were fine on this box, so it
definitely looks like something F8 specific.

I don't get the "Input Not Supported" message, but I suspect that is
simply due to a different monitor. What I do see is the screen goes
black, and the power LED on the monitor flickers every few seconds, the
same way it does when the monitor switches resolutions/refresh rates.

I can switch to a different console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 or whatever), then back
to my desktop (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and everything is fine, no need to reboot,
or restart X, or anything like that.

BTW, I also have a Radeon 9200 card (which you mentioned in a later
email). I am *not* using the ATI drivers.

I do see some interesting stuff in my Xorg.0.log, but there are no
timestamps in that log (why not???) which makes it hard to separate out
the different occurrences. I've appended a line to the file so I will
know where to look next time it happens.

Basically I get a whole bunch of stuff that looks like this (but without
timestamps I'm not sure where to start the copy & paste, not sure how
useful this is to anyone):

(II) RADEON(0): [RESUME] Attempting to re-init Radeon hardware.
(==) RADEON(0): Using AGP 8x
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] Mode 0x1f00420a [AGP 0x10de/0x01e0; Card
0x1002/0x5961]
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
(II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(II) Mouse0-usb-0000:00:02.0-2/input0: On
(II) evdev brain: Rescanning devices (5).
(II) Mouse0-usb-0000:00:02.0-2/input0: Off
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0x1fff0000
(II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0x27ff2000
finished PLL2
finished PLL1
Entering Restore TV
Restore TV PLL
Restore TVHV
Restore TV Restarts
Restore Timing Tables
Restore TV standard
Leaving Restore TV
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
init memmap
init common
init crtc1
init pll1
restore memmap
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0xd7ffd000
(II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0xe07fe000
restore common
restore crtc1
restore pll1
finished PLL1
restore dac
enable montype: 1
init memmap
init common
init crtc2
init pll2
restore memmap
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0xd7ffd000
(II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0xe07fe000
restore common
restore crtc2
restore pll2
restore memmap
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0xd7ffd000
(II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0xe07fe000
restore common
restore crtc2
restore pll2
finished PLL2
restore dac
enable montype: 1
(II) RADEON(0): [RESUME] Attempting to re-init Radeon hardware.
(==) RADEON(0): Using AGP 8x
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] Mode 0x1f00420a [AGP 0x10de/0x01e0; Card
0x1002/0x5961]
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
(II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(II) Mouse0-usb-0000:00:02.0-2/input0: On
(II) evdev brain: Rescanning devices (6).

Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Kelly Miller

Brian Mury wrote:

[...]

useful this is to anyone):<redacted>

Well, here's mine as well:

(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so

(II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0

(II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270

(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"

(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard

(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"

(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard

(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"

(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"

(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"

(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"

(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"

(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us+inet"

(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"

(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled

(WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...

(II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/input/mice"

(--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/input/mice"

(==) <default pointer>: Protocol: "Auto"

(**) Option "CorePointer"

(**) <default pointer>: Core Pointer

(==) <default pointer>: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50

(**) <default pointer>: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5

(**) <default pointer>: Buttons: 9

(**) <default pointer>: Sensitivity: 1

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "<default pointer>"
(type: MOUSE)

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)

(II) <default pointer>: Setting mouse protocol to "ExplorerPS/2"

(II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

BOGUS LENGTH in write keyboard desc, expected 5352, got 5356

(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

SetClientVersion: 0 9

SetGrabKeysState - disabled

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

disable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

enable montype: 1

SetGrabKeysState - enabled

[...]

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xf89ae000 at
0xb7fd7000

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Closed DRM master.