Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Kelly Miller

Default X.org Keeps Dying Out Of The Blue

I'm not sure what the problem could be; all I know is that randomly,
while I'm working on the desktop, my monitor goes dark and shows an
"Input Not Supported" message. There's nothing in the logs, and
reinstalling does not help. This didn't happen before; it didn't start
when I installed F8, it started suddenly. I thought it might be my
mouse (which has been acting funny), but it continues to happen even if
I change what mouse I'm using. I'm about out of ideas for fixing it...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Jim Cornette

Kelly Miller wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem could be; all I know is that randomly,
while I'm working on the desktop, my monitor goes dark and shows an
"Input Not Supported" message. There's nothing in the logs, and
reinstalling does not help. This didn't happen before; it didn't start
when I installed F8, it started suddenly. I thought it might be my
mouse (which has been acting funny), but it continues to happen even if
I change what mouse I'm using. I'm about out of ideas for fixing it...

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old shows the information from the previous GUI
launch. It might show the failure. Which logs are you checking? What
Graphics Processor are you using?
Usually screensavers show random crashes. Are you running any 3D
programs or running random screensavers?

JIm

Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Kelly Miller

Jim Cornette wrote:
The /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old shows the information from the previous
GUI launch. It might show the failure. Which logs are you checking?
What Graphics Processor are you using?
Usually screensavers show random crashes. Are you running any 3D
programs or running random screensavers?

JIm
I'm checking messages, Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old. There are no
error messages in any of them (unless this counts: BOGUS LENGTH in write
keyboard desc, expected 5352, got 5356 , but the system keeps running,
so I don't think that's it). My card is a Radeon 9200SE+, IIRC it's
r280 (X.org loads the driver for the r200 line to provide 3D
acceleration), and no, it never happens when I'm running screensavers or
3D programs, only when I'm working with GUI-based programs (it happened
once with Smart, once with Firefox, and once with Gnome Mines, and there
are more that I can't remember).