Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Michael Klinosky

Default dual boot Windows XP and Fedora 8

Jerry:

Is there anything on the web -- or does anyone know -- about a procedure
for setting up a dual boot of Windows XP and Fedora 8? I have XP running
on one of two hard drives and would like to install Fedora on the
second. Thanks for the help!

Here are the resources that I found when researching how to DB my Win2K
(NTFS) machine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_boot
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/How_to_Dual_boot_with_XP_2000_NT_and_install_linux _windows_whenever_You_want
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Booting_Windows_on_second_HD_with_Grub
http://geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/mini/Linux+WinNT-3.html
http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsresize
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/backup-mbr.readme
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/HOWTO_GRUB_BOOTLOADER_AND_TROUBLE_SHOOTER

I had Windows on 1 HD (used the whole drive). I put in another HD for
linux (as Primary / slave, or Secondary / master - can't recall). I
shrank the Windows partition to make room for /boot. I installed F7 on it.

When F8 was released, I fresh-installed it. I noticed that it created a
/boot1 - perhaps I did something 'wrong'?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Gerhard Magnus

Is there anything on the web -- or does anyone know -- about a procedure
for setting up a dual boot of Windows XP and Fedora 8? I have XP running
on one of two hard drives and would like to install Fedora on the
second. Thanks for the help!

You could start with the Fedora (and RHEL) docs.

You could also read the docs mentioned in my sig in order to help you
formulate better questions.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

I should have mentioned that I've already tried these obvious solutions.
And cheers to you too!

Jerry

Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Karl Larsen

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

Is there anything on the web -- or does anyone know -- about a procedure
for setting up a dual boot of Windows XP and Fedora 8? I have XP running
on one of two hard drives and would like to install Fedora on the
second. Thanks for the help!

Jerry

Hi if your windows is already loaded when the Fedora 8 loader gets to
setting up grub it will already know about windows and set that up too.
You should not need to do anything special.

Karl

Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>I should have mentioned that I've already tried these obvious solutions.
>And cheers to you too!
>
>Jerry

So do you have a specific problem or question? I have a two drive
computer with WinXP on the first and F8 on the second. I had no
install problems. You want to be careful to select the second drive
to install on so you don't destroy your Windows drive. Grub goes on
the first drive and the installer will query you about this but that
is what you want.

--

Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Jim Cornette

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

Is there anything on the web -- or does anyone know -- about a procedure
for setting up a dual boot of Windows XP and Fedora 8? I have XP running
on one of two hard drives and would like to install Fedora on the
second. Thanks for the help!

Jerry

The default for installing Fedora on computers with DOS or MS windows is
to add an entry in the bootloader called *other* and not touch the
existing windows partitions. You may need to manually select the
partition schemes if your second hard drive was formatted in ntfs or FAT
formats which is likely.
Usually you would want to setup a /boot partition of 100 MB, a swap
partition of roughly twice your memory, a /home partition for your user
stuff which would be fairly large and a / partition to handle everything
else.
You could also use the Windows disk utilities to unallocate the disk
space you want to use for Linux and allow the Fedora installer to
allocate the free space. It usually will make a 100 MB boot partition
and an LVM containing the swap partition it thinks is best and the rest
would be allocated to /.
You also can edit the name of other to something you prefer and select
whether you want Fedora or other to boot by default.
By default, you will see a vague screen for booting but if you pressed a
key a boot menu would unhide itself and show the other and Fedora choices.
Enjoy setting up a dual boot for Windows and Fedora. You should enjoy
the experience.

Jim

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Robert L Cochran

Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Abhishek Rane

Robert L Cochran wrote:

In the disk management of windows xp My computer>Right Click
>Manage>Disk Management -Delete a partiton(with non important data)
to create some free space and leave it as it is...
Then install fedora in fedora partitioning create the required
partitions from the now made free space

That's it..Grub takes care of the dual boot thing