Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Ben Kevan

Default VMWare as a networking alternative

On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:38:53 pm vamythguy wrote:
> I want to switch my laptop over to linux, but still plan to run an XP
> virtual host. My laptop has a broadcom wireless card which seems to be
> troublesome. It seems that the reverse config (windows host, linux guest)
> would allow the linux virtual to hit the net via nat through the windows
> master. Is the reverse possible, for the windows guest to provide net
> services to the linux master?

Try NAT networking. VMWare has a problem with the new kernels and wireless.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Ben Kevan wrote:
> On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:38:53 pm vamythguy wrote:
>> I want to switch my laptop over to linux, but still plan to run an XP
>> virtual host. My laptop has a broadcom wireless card which seems to be
>> troublesome. It seems that the reverse config (windows host, linux guest)
>> would allow the linux virtual to hit the net via nat through the windows
>> master. Is the reverse possible, for the windows guest to provide net
>> services to the linux master?
>
> Try NAT networking. VMWare has a problem with the new kernels and wireless.

I can't (yet) speak for the latest kernels. I have an XP VM running on
my FC6 laptop. It can access the "net" pretty well, and active
connections can be made to come back to it via a current outgoing
connection, but I've had trouble accessing it directly except from the
hosting laptop on its VM wetwork, even though routing is supposedly set
up correctly (ip_forward and subnet routes) on the other networked
machines. I'm not sure if the VMWare network is NATing on my laptop or not.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 AM
"Kam Leo"

On Jan 20, 2008 5:42 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Ben Kevan wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:38:53 pm vamythguy wrote:
> >> I want to switch my laptop over to linux, but still plan to run an XP
> >> virtual host. My laptop has a broadcom wireless card which seems to be
> >> troublesome. It seems that the reverse config (windows host, linux guest)
> >> would allow the linux virtual to hit the net via nat through the windows
> >> master. Is the reverse possible, for the windows guest to provide net
> >> services to the linux master?
> >
> > Try NAT networking. VMWare has a problem with the new kernels and wireless.
>
> I can't (yet) speak for the latest kernels. I have an XP VM running on
> my FC6 laptop. It can access the "net" pretty well, and active
> connections can be made to come back to it via a current outgoing
> connection, but I've had trouble accessing it directly except from the
> hosting laptop on its VM wetwork, even though routing is supposedly set
> up correctly (ip_forward and subnet routes) on the other networked
> machines. I'm not sure if the VMWare network is NATing on my laptop or not.
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings

Many VMware users run Fedora and other linux distributions as a guest
on Windows. Browse topics on VMware's user forums and get a feel for
the problems being encountered.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:32 AM
vamythguy

On Jan 20, 2008 9:24 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 20, 2008 5:42 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Ben Kevan wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:38:53 pm vamythguy wrote:

> >> I want to switch my laptop over to linux, but still plan to run an XP
> >> virtual host. *My laptop has a broadcom wireless card which seems to be
> >> troublesome. *It seems that the reverse config (windows host, linux guest)

> >> would allow the linux virtual to hit the net via nat through the windows
> >> master. *Is the reverse possible, for the windows guest to provide net
> >> services to the linux master?

> > Try NAT networking. VMWare has a problem with the new kernels and wireless.
>
> I can't (yet) speak for the latest kernels. *I have an XP VM running on
> my FC6 laptop. *It can access the "net" pretty well, and active

> connections can be made to come back to it via a current outgoing
> connection, but I've had trouble accessing it directly except from the
> hosting laptop on its VM wetwork, even though routing is supposedly set

> up correctly (ip_forward and subnet routes) on the other networked
> machines. *I'm not sure if the VMWare network is NATing on my laptop or not.
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings

Many VMware users run Fedora and other linux distributions as a guest
on Windows. Browse topics on VMware's user forums and get a feel for
the problems being encountered.

*
I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a linux host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux wireless issues.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

vamythguy wrote:
> I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a
> linux host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux
> wireless issues.

If I understand you correctly, you'd have to have linux *not* use the
wireless, and then provide that hardware as available to your VMWare
client in order for it to be able to use it.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 AM
vamythguy

On Jan 20, 2008 9:43 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

vamythguy wrote:
> I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a
> linux host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux
> wireless issues.

If I understand you correctly, you'd have to have linux *not* use the
wireless, and then provide that hardware as available to your VMWare
client in order for it to be able to use it.

Good luck.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net

cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us

*
I know, it's out there.* But linux support for wireless is sketchy, and I hate all the XP and especially)*Vista overhead for a machine that mostly doesn't need it.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM
"Kam Leo"

2008/1/20 vamythguy <vamythguy@gmail.com>:

> On Jan 20, 2008 9:24 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 20, 2008 5:42 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>
> wrote:
> be
> guest)
> windows
> net

> wireless.
> > >
> > > I can't (yet) speak for the latest kernels. I have an XP VM running on
> > > my FC6 laptop. It can access the "net" pretty well, and active
> > > connections can be made to come back to it via a current outgoing
> > > connection, but I've had trouble accessing it directly except from the
> > > hosting laptop on its VM wetwork, even though routing is supposedly set
> > > up correctly (ip_forward and subnet routes) on the other networked
> > > machines. I'm not sure if the VMWare network is NATing on my laptop or
> not.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kevin J. Cummings
> >
> > Many VMware users run Fedora and other linux distributions as a guest
> > on Windows. Browse topics on VMware's user forums and get a feel for
> > the problems being encountered.
> >

> > --

> I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a linux
> host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux wireless
> issues.

It is not going to happen using VMware. The guest OS sees a virtual
hardware interface. Try another VM product.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
vamythguy

> > On Jan 20, 2008 5:42 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>
> wrote:

> be
> guest)

> windows
> net

> wireless.
> > >
> > > I can't (yet) speak for the latest kernels. *I have an XP VM running on

> > > my FC6 laptop. *It can access the "net" pretty well, and active
> > > connections can be made to come back to it via a current outgoing
> > > connection, but I've had trouble accessing it directly except from the

> > > hosting laptop on its VM wetwork, even though routing is supposedly set
> > > up correctly (ip_forward and subnet routes) on the other networked
> > > machines. *I'm not sure if the VMWare network is NATing on my laptop or

> not.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kevin J. Cummings
> >
> > Many VMware users run Fedora and other linux distributions as a guest
> > on Windows. Browse topics on VMware's user forums and get a feel for

> > the problems being encountered.
> >

> > --

> I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a linux

> host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux wireless
> issues.

It is not going to happen using VMware. The guest OS sees a virtual
hardware interface. Try another VM product.

*
Thought maybe I could give the guest os direct access, load some NAT or bridgeing sw on one of the two and be good.* Sounds like no.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Robert L Cochran

vamythguy wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008 9:43 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
> <mailto:cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>> wrote:
>
> vamythguy wrote:
> > I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a
> > linux host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux
> > wireless issues.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you'd have to have linux *not* use the
> wireless, and then provide that hardware as available to your VMWare
> client in order for it to be able to use it.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings
> kjchome@rcn.com <mailto:kjchome@rcn.com>
> cummings@kjchome.homeip.net <mailto:cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>
> cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> <mailto:cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us>
> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org
> <http://counter.li.org/>)

> I know, it's out there. But linux support for wireless is sketchy, and
> I hate all the XP and especially) Vista overhead for a machine that
> mostly doesn't need it.

Virtualization is a really complex topic. I don't really "see" the
overhead you refer to, or the goal you have in mind. I'm a VMWare user.
My main purpose in using VMWare is to just get work done in the guest
OS'es I have, rather than focus on how they use or share system
resources. Since I'm new to VMware I just follow their published
guidelines. Thankfully, VMWare does a huge amount of your thinking for
you and tries to provide all the resources you might want. It provides a
great deal of networking support. There is very extensive published
documentation on VMWare, and the VMWare forums are extremely active.
Perhaps these resources can offer you more insight?

Bob

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 AM
vamythguy

https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list>

> I know, it's out there. *But linux support for wireless is sketchy, and
> I hate all the XP and especially) Vista overhead for a machine that

> mostly doesn't need it.

Virtualization is a really complex topic. I don't really "see" the
overhead you refer to, or the goal you have in mind. I'm a VMWare user.

My main purpose in using VMWare is to just get work done in the guest
OS'es I have, rather than focus on how they use or share system
resources. Since I'm new to VMware I just follow their published
guidelines. Thankfully, VMWare does a huge amount of your thinking for

you and tries to provide all the resources you might want. It provides a
great deal of networking support. There is very extensive published
documentation on VMWare, and the VMWare forums are extremely active.

Perhaps these resources can offer you more insight?

Bob

*
I suspected from the beginning that I was hunting a white whale.* I didn't really want to waste forum resources, but thought maybe someone had a quick answer.* I think I'll explore a more automated approach to natively supporting my wireless card, under sepaerate cover.* Thanks for your input.