Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Stuart Sears

Default File Transfer: Connect Fedora to Windows machine via ethernet without a router?

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Thanks, Stuart. I like the idea about a DHCP server on the Linux box
>> and ftp. Then _anything_ can connect to it.
>
> Be careful with running your own DHCP server... If you ever accidentally
> plug it into someone else's network, expect to be thrown out and asked
> never to come back.

+1

But the trick of course is ensuring that it is off by default. (unless
you specifically turn dhcpd on using chkconfig or an equivalent it will
be disabled by default).

Stuart

Old 01-20-2008, 07:39 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

Being picky on the meaning of the word "installing" to a Windows machine, you
may try putty. It works via ssh, but *does not* require to be _installed_ on
a Windows machine. You just need to copy it to some directory and run it. No
install wizards, no changing registry, nothing regarded to installing. After
you're done, simply delete it.

:-)
Marko

It also runs fine from a USB memory drive. No need to install
anything on the computer. I like that option because I can have my
ssh key on the drive as well, and take it with me. (Pass phrase
protected key.)

Mikkel