Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Les Mikesell

Default File Transfer: Connect Fedora to Windows machine via ethernet without a router?

Dotan Cohen wrote:

You can use a crossover cable to link the 2 machines.
You could then either
- statically fix the IP addressing on both boxes.
- run a dhcp server on the linux box and tell the windows machine to
pick up the information automatically (it may already be set up this way)

If you have the avahi package installed, you should use the 'zeroconf'
mechanism to fail to an ip address in the 169.x.x.x range that will work
with anything else using the same scheme (like windows boxes). but then
you have to check the IP addresses or use something like samba that has
its own name mapping scheme.

(although my preferred system would be winscp/sshd...)

I'll second that recomendation, although it needs DNS or you need to
know the IP address.

Thanks, Stuart. I like the idea about a DHCP server on the Linux box
and ftp. Then _anything_ can connect to it.

Be careful with running your own DHCP server... If you ever accidentally
plug it into someone else's network, expect to be thrown out and asked
never to come back.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com