Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Frank Cox

Default Fedora 8 slowness

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:13:14 -0500
Dick Seabrook <dick.seabrook@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else using F8 noticed a slowness to open the
> desktop during user login?

No.

> Maybe it's my imagination

Could be.

> but it seems to take a few seconds longer each time I bring up
> F8 and log in as a normal user.

Perhaps you're loading something on login that takes a few seconds to
initialize. Check your sessions list and see if that's what it is.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 12:16 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:13:14 -0500
> Dick Seabrook <dick.seabrook@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else using F8 noticed a slowness to open the
> > desktop during user login?
>
> No.
>
> > Maybe it's my imagination
>
> Could be.
>
> > but it seems to take a few seconds longer each time I bring up
> > F8 and log in as a normal user.
>
> Perhaps you're loading something on login that takes a few seconds to
> initialize. Check your sessions list and see if that's what it is.

Mine used to be as slow as pig-iron until I figured out that the
previous session was being saved and then restored upon the next login,
due to a setting in one little obscure check-box. That was back in FC5
or 6. But, I haven't seen it on by default since though. I'm sure I
pushed the red button not fully understanding what it would do. I have
my moments. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 20/01/2008, Dick Seabrook <dick.seabrook@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else using F8 noticed a slowness to open the
> desktop during user login? Maybe it's my imagination
> but it seems to take a few seconds longer each time I bring up
> F8 and log in as a normal user.

Yes, actually - on one and only one of my boxes (the most high spec
box), after entering username and passwd it seems to freeze on the GDM
screen for an unusual period of time. I haven't had a chance to debug
further though.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
"Dick Seabrook"

On Jan 20, 2008 7:03 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 12:16 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:13:14 -0500
> Dick Seabrook <dick.seabrook@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone else using F8 noticed a slowness to open the
> > desktop during user login?
>
> No.
>
> > *Maybe it's my imagination
>
> Could be.
>

> > but it seems to take a few seconds longer each time I bring up
> > F8 and log in as a normal user.
>
> Perhaps you're loading something on login that takes a few seconds to
> initialize. *Check your sessions list and see if that's what it is.

Mine used to be as slow as pig-iron until I figured out that the
previous session was being saved and then restored upon the next login,
due to a setting in one little obscure check-box. That was back in FC5

or 6. But, I haven't seen it on by default since though. I'm sure I
pushed the red button not fully understanding what it would do. I have
my moments. Ric

That was it!!* Sessions was set to "Default last session" and I

changed it to Gnome and made that the default and now it's
positively zippy!* Thanks!
Dick S.
--
Dick Seabrook ~ Anne Arundel Community College

http://enterprise.aacc.edu/~rhs ~ Speed the Net!