Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default File Transfer: Connect Fedora to Windows machine via ethernet without a router?

Can one connect a laptop running Fedora directly to a Windows machine
and transfer files between them? In this particular case, the computer
that I'd like to connect to is Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but I'd
like to know how to connect to Windows computers in general.

As the windows computer is obviously not mine, I'd like to avoid
installing software on it if possible. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 20/01/2008, Stuart Sears <stuart@sjsears.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Can one connect a laptop running Fedora directly to a Windows machine
> > and transfer files between them? In this particular case, the computer
> > that I'd like to connect to is Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but I'd
> > like to know how to connect to Windows computers in general.
>
> Depends on what you mean by "connect".
> If you mean "set up so that the windows machine can drag and drop"
>
> You can use a crossover cable to link the 2 machines.
> You could then either
> - statically fix the IP addressing on both boxes.
> - run a dhcp server on the linux box and tell the windows machine to
> pick up the information automatically (it may already be set up this way)
>
> For transferring files you have a number of alternatives:
>
> samba - windows-style filesharing
> an ftp server on the linux box
>
> sshd on the linux box and winscp on the windows side.
> httpd and webDAV on the linux box
> (and a few others)
> or just do it the oldfashioned way with a USB disk
>
> > As the windows computer is obviously not mine, I'd like to avoid
> > installing software on it if possible. Thanks.
>
> then you probably want one of the first 2.
>
> You can access ftp sites in Windows/Internet Explorer
> If you have networking functioning properly and samba running on the
> linux machine, you should see your laptop in Network Neighborhood (sic)
>
> both should allow drag and drop if the linux side is correctly set up.
>

> vftpd is easier to set up than samba IMHO
>
> (although my preferred system would be winscp/sshd...)
>

> Stuart

Thanks, Stuart. I like the idea about a DHCP server on the Linux box
and ftp. Then _anything_ can connect to it.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 20 January 2008 18:21, Stuart Sears wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Can one connect a laptop running Fedora directly to a Windows machine
> > and transfer files between them? In this particular case, the computer
> > that I'd like to connect to is Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but I'd
> > like to know how to connect to Windows computers in general.

> For transferring files you have a number of alternatives:
>
> samba - windows-style filesharing
> an ftp server on the linux box
>
> sshd on the linux box and winscp on the windows side.
> httpd and webDAV on the linux box
> (and a few others)
> or just do it the oldfashioned way with a USB disk
>
> > As the windows computer is obviously not mine, I'd like to avoid
> > installing software on it if possible. Thanks.
>
> then you probably want one of the first 2.

Being picky on the meaning of the word "installing" to a Windows machine, you
may try putty. It works via ssh, but *does not* require to be _installed_ on
a Windows machine. You just need to copy it to some directory and run it. No
install wizards, no changing registry, nothing regarded to installing. After
you're done, simply delete it.

:-)
Marko

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 20/01/2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >
> > Being picky on the meaning of the word "installing" to a Windows machine, you
> > may try putty. It works via ssh, but *does not* require to be _installed_ on
> > a Windows machine. You just need to copy it to some directory and run it. No
> > install wizards, no changing registry, nothing regarded to installing. After
> > you're done, simply delete it.
> >
> > :-)
> > Marko
> >
> It also runs fine from a USB memory drive. No need to install
> anything on the computer. I like that option because I can have my
> ssh key on the drive as well, and take it with me. (Pass phrase
> protected key.)
>
> Mikkel

I do this as well, along with Portable Firefox and Portable OOo on the
same USB memory drive.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 20/01/2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> >> You can use a crossover cable to link the 2 machines.
> >> You could then either
> >> - statically fix the IP addressing on both boxes.
> >> - run a dhcp server on the linux box and tell the windows machine to
> >> pick up the information automatically (it may already be set up this way)
>
> If you have the avahi package installed, you should use the 'zeroconf'
> mechanism to fail to an ip address in the 169.x.x.x range that will work
> with anything else using the same scheme (like windows boxes). but then
> you have to check the IP addresses or use something like samba that has
> its own name mapping scheme.

I don't understand completely, but I have enough keywords to start
googling. Thanks.

> >> (although my preferred system would be winscp/sshd...)
>
> I'll second that recomendation, although it needs DNS or you need to
> know the IP address.

Knowing the IP address is not a problem as I have access to both
machines, no? I could simply check with ipconfig on the Fedora box,
no?

> > Thanks, Stuart. I like the idea about a DHCP server on the Linux box
> > and ftp. Then _anything_ can connect to it.
>
> Be careful with running your own DHCP server... If you ever accidentally
> plug it into someone else's network, expect to be thrown out and asked
> never to come back.

I'm on the university network every day, so this is important to know. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.