Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Chuck

Default Is FC8 stable enough for what I am doing...

I am mainly using FC8 as a LAMP development platform and also a
subversion repository.

Mainly these packages are being used:
db-4x
mysql 5.x
perl
apache 2.2 (custom rolled)
PHP 5.x (custom rolled)
libneon
apr (custom rolled)
apr-util (custom rolled)
autoconf
libtool
sqlite (custom rolled)
openssl (custom rolled)

Based on these packages can I rely on FC8 as a platform? I was using
RHEL5 but not having updates was getting frustrating and paying a
subscription fee for bug fixes doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for any help,
/cc

Old 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Chuck wrote:

I am mainly using FC8 as a LAMP development platform and also a
subversion repository.

Mainly these packages are being used:
db-4x
mysql 5.x
perl
apache 2.2 (custom rolled)
PHP 5.x (custom rolled)
libneon
apr (custom rolled)
apr-util (custom rolled)
autoconf
libtool
sqlite (custom rolled)
openssl (custom rolled)

Based on these packages can I rely on FC8 as a platform? I was using
RHEL5 but not having updates was getting frustrating and paying a
subscription fee for bug fixes doesn't sit well with me.

Use CentOS if you don't like to pay for a rhel subscription fee.
The lifespan of Fedora is really too short for server needs.
What updates were you not having that were frustrating? RHEL/CentOS are
not going to have the bleeding edge updates because those have a higher
chance of breaking things.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Chuck

On Jan 20, 2008 11:36 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
> > I am mainly using FC8 as a LAMP development platform and also a
> > subversion repository.
> >
> > Mainly these packages are being used:
> > db-4x
> > mysql 5.x
> > perl
> > apache 2.2 (custom rolled)
> > PHP 5.x (custom rolled)
> > libneon
> > apr (custom rolled)
> > apr-util (custom rolled)
> > autoconf
> > libtool
> > sqlite (custom rolled)
> > openssl (custom rolled)
> >
> > Based on these packages can I rely on FC8 as a platform? I was using
> > RHEL5 but not having updates was getting frustrating and paying a
> > subscription fee for bug fixes doesn't sit well with me.
> >
> Use CentOS if you don't like to pay for a rhel subscription fee.
> The lifespan of Fedora is really too short for server needs.
> What updates were you not having that were frustrating? RHEL/CentOS are
> not going to have the bleeding edge updates because those have a higher
> chance of breaking things.

So CentOS is just the RHEL series re-branded? (no tinkering of
packages and etc...)

I don't need bleeding edge updates but subversion has some picky
depedencies and I couldn't get all of them to compile cleanly on RHEL
4 and I ran into other misc issues on RHEL 5 but couldn't get the
updates I needed to fix 2 known bugs I ran into. (forget what they
were now, one was db4 related and one was related to the mysql client)
There is also a bug in openssl related to having a custom installed
version under /usr/local and the default rpm installed version.
Unfortunately for me I need both. (for some proprietary software I am
also running) I also need PHP to support Oracle so pretty much end up
having to build most things from source.

Thanks for the info/
/cc

Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:12:21 -0600
Chuck <chuck.carson@gmail.com> wrote:

> So CentOS is just the RHEL series re-branded? (no tinkering of
> packages and etc...)

That is exactly what it is. Centos goes to great lengths to maintain 100%
binary compatibility with the "upstream distribution".

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Robert L Cochran

Old 01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Chuck

On Jan 20, 2008 12:15 PM, Robert L Cochran <cochranb@speakeasy.net> wrote:

Sweet, downloading centos 5 now as we speak.

thanks for the info
/cc

Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Chuck wrote:

> Sweet, downloading centos 5 now as we speak.

there is a centos 5.1, or is that what you meant?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Les Mikesell

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

Sweet, downloading centos 5 now as we speak.

there is a centos 5.1, or is that what you meant?

His first 'yum update' will fix it if he gets the wrong one.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Chuck

On Jan 20, 2008 12:38 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> Sweet, downloading centos 5 now as we speak.
> >
> > there is a centos 5.1, or is that what you meant?
>
> His first 'yum update' will fix it if he gets the wrong one.
>
> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell@gmail.com

Oops 5.1 is what I meant.

Thx/CC

--
Chuck Carson - Sr. Software Engineer
Galileo Educational Solutions

Old 01-20-2008, 07:39 PM
John Summerfield

Chuck wrote:

I am mainly using FC8 as a LAMP development platform and also a
subversion repository.

Mainly these packages are being used:
db-4x
mysql 5.x
perl
apache 2.2 (custom rolled)
PHP 5.x (custom rolled)
libneon
apr (custom rolled)
apr-util (custom rolled)
autoconf
libtool
sqlite (custom rolled)
openssl (custom rolled)

Based on these packages can I rely on FC8 as a platform? I was using

If you want to target RHEL6, probably.

RHEL5 but not having updates was getting frustrating and paying a
subscription fee for bug fixes doesn't sit well with me.

Is there a problem with CentOS?

--

Cheers
John