Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Chuck

Default Samba Problems

Maybe I need some sleep or need to be hit in the head but the same
samba config I have used for years is not working on my freshly
installed FC 8 box. The same config was working yesterday when my
linux box was running RHEL 5.

Simply here is my smb.conf:
[global]

workgroup = EXAMPLE.COM
server string = billabong
netbios name = BILLABONG
interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.15.0/24
hosts allow = 127. 192.168.15.
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = user
passdb backend = smbpaswd
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
domain master = no
domain logons = no
local master = no
os level = 33
preferred master = no
wins support = no
wins proxy = no
dns proxy = no
load printers = no
cups options = raw

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
valid users = %S

[root]
comment = Billabong Root
path = /
public = no
browseable = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
valid users = root, someuser
write list = root, someuser
force user = root
create mask = 0660
directory mode = 0775

When connecting from my desktop (running vista) I can see the root and
homes share, but when I try and drill down into one of the folders it
says network path not found. I have tried using various permutations
of tdbsam and smbpasswd, with encrypt passwords - no/yes to no avail.
Once again let me state that this desktop was accessing the same samba
config under RHEL 5 yesterday w/o problems.

Samba log says:
[2008/01/20 08:59:22, 1] auth/auth_util.c:create_token_from_username(1104)
lookup_name_smbconf for root failed

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
/cc

Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 09:14 -0600, Chuck wrote:
> Maybe I need some sleep or need to be hit in the head but the same
> samba config I have used for years is not working on my freshly
> installed FC 8 box. The same config was working yesterday when my
> linux box was running RHEL 5.
>
> Simply here is my smb.conf:
> [global]
>
> workgroup = EXAMPLE.COM
> server string = billabong
> netbios name = BILLABONG
> interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.15.0/24
> hosts allow = 127. 192.168.15.
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> security = user
> passdb backend = smbpaswd
> encrypt passwords = yes
> smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> domain master = no
> domain logons = no
> local master = no
> os level = 33
> preferred master = no
> wins support = no
> wins proxy = no
> dns proxy = no
> load printers = no
> cups options = raw
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> writable = yes
> valid users = %S
>
> [root]
> comment = Billabong Root
> path = /
> public = no
> browseable = yes
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> valid users = root, someuser
> write list = root, someuser
> force user = root
> create mask = 0660
> directory mode = 0775
>
> When connecting from my desktop (running vista) I can see the root and
> homes share, but when I try and drill down into one of the folders it
> says network path not found. I have tried using various permutations
> of tdbsam and smbpasswd, with encrypt passwords - no/yes to no avail.
> Once again let me state that this desktop was accessing the same samba
> config under RHEL 5 yesterday w/o problems.
>
> Samba log says:
> [2008/01/20 08:59:22, 1] auth/auth_util.c:create_token_from_username(1104)
> lookup_name_smbconf for root failed
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
----
are you running selinux?

Craig

Old 01-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Chuck

On Jan 20, 2008 11:59 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 09:14 -0600, Chuck wrote:
> > Maybe I need some sleep or need to be hit in the head but the same
> > samba config I have used for years is not working on my freshly
> > installed FC 8 box. The same config was working yesterday when my
> > linux box was running RHEL 5.
> >
> > Simply here is my smb.conf:
> > [global]
> >
> > workgroup = EXAMPLE.COM
> > server string = billabong
> > netbios name = BILLABONG
> > interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.15.0/24
> > hosts allow = 127. 192.168.15.
> > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> > max log size = 50
> > security = user
> > passdb backend = smbpaswd
> > encrypt passwords = yes
> > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> > domain master = no
> > domain logons = no
> > local master = no
> > os level = 33
> > preferred master = no
> > wins support = no
> > wins proxy = no
> > dns proxy = no
> > load printers = no
> > cups options = raw
> >
> > [homes]
> > comment = Home Directories
> > browseable = no
> > writable = yes
> > valid users = %S
> >
> > [root]
> > comment = Billabong Root
> > path = /
> > public = no
> > browseable = yes
> > writable = yes
> > printable = no
> > valid users = root, someuser
> > write list = root, someuser
> > force user = root
> > create mask = 0660
> > directory mode = 0775
> >
> > When connecting from my desktop (running vista) I can see the root and
> > homes share, but when I try and drill down into one of the folders it
> > says network path not found. I have tried using various permutations
> > of tdbsam and smbpasswd, with encrypt passwords - no/yes to no avail.
> > Once again let me state that this desktop was accessing the same samba
> > config under RHEL 5 yesterday w/o problems.
> >
> > Samba log says:
> > [2008/01/20 08:59:22, 1] auth/auth_util.c:create_token_from_username(1104)
> > lookup_name_smbconf for root failed
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> ----
> are you running selinux?
>
> Craig

Nah not running se-linux but I found my problem. Somehow I got a
non-printable character in the smb.conf file on the line "force user =
root", so it wasnt really trying to force the root user but a non
existent user. (which is exactly what the damn log file was telling me
I just pulled my hair out before toggling non-printables on in my
editor and it was plain as day) I had copied my smb.conf to a vista pc
using cifs before reinstalling, then I cut and pasted it back, so it
got garbled somehow.

Thanks,
/cc

Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Anne Wilson

This laptop has stopped serving samba, and I can't see where the problem lies.
Here is the testparm output:

testparm
Processing section "[Anne-Public]"
Processing section "[anne-laptopDOWNLOADS]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[GWEBDEC]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
workgroup = LYDGATE.LAN
server string = Samba Server %v
map to guest = Bad User
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
preferred master = No
local master = No
domain master = No
hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.0.

[Anne-Public]
comment = Public in Anne's home
path = /home/anne/Public/
read only = No
create mask = 0770
force create mode = 0770
directory mask = 0775
force directory mode = 0770

[anne-laptopDOWNLOADS]
path = /home/anne/Downloads/
read only = No
directory mask = 0775
hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r ~ using client side
printer drivers
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
write list = @adm, root
inherit permissions = Yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
create mask = 0755
browseable = No

[GWEBDEC]
path = /home/anne/gwebdec/
read only = No
force create mode = 0770
directory mask = 0775

In /var/log/samba the machine logs are empty. smbd.log and nmbd.log are
empty. There is now an nmbd.log showing today's date, size 43KB which ends
with

[2008/05/30 07:34:19, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(697)
Netbios nameserver version 3.0.25b started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007

and a smbd.log which shows

[2008/05/30 07:34:18, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
smbd version 3.0.25b started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007

I can mount my main server box in fstab, indicating that the client is working
correctly. I've found several questions in google but no answers.

Anne

Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Mogens Kjaer

Anne Wilson wrote:

This laptop has stopped serving samba

Is there a firewall on this machine?

Mogens
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Old 06-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 30 May 2008 08:19:57 Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > This laptop has stopped serving samba
>
> Is there a firewall on this machine?

I thought not, but yesterday got a message about Interactive Firewall,
whatever that might be. The laptop in question is running Mandriva 2008.0.
I'll look into that today.

Anne

Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Paul

I'm trying to set up a simple LAN with a samba server on the linux box.

I am able to access windows shares from the linux side, but no matter what I
do, I haven't been able to get to a defined samba share from any machine,
including the linux box. The linux box appears in network neighborhood or
smb4k, and I've sometimes gotten the shares to display, but I always get met
by user/password dialog, that I can't get past.

Ultimately, I want to allow access from the windows side to samba by a single
windows user and deny access to others.

Does anyone have a sample smb.conf file that would require only minimal
modifications? Alternatively, can you point me to a simple HOWTO?
Thanks,
Paul

Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Karl Auer

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 07:59 -0400, Paul wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a simple LAN with a samba server on the linux box.
> [...]
> I've sometimes gotten the shares to display, but I always get met
> by user/password dialog, that I can't get past.

I assume you don't want to give access without a password.

> Ultimately, I want to allow access from the windows side to samba by a single
> windows user and deny access to others.

Make sure security is set to "user" in smb.conf:

security = user

Make sure that encrypted passwords are turned on in smb.conf:

encrypt passwords = true

Restart Samba (makes certain the changes are picked up).

Run smbpasswd as root on the samba machine to set up their password. In
this example, the user is "freddy":

sudo smbpassd -a freddy

You'll be prompted for the password. Note that "freddy" is the username
on the Samba machine, not on the Windows machine. It's marginally easier
on the user if the usernames are the same though. The password does not
have to be (and should not be) the user's password on their Windows
machine.

Basically that's all there is to it.

Regards, K.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Paul

On Sunday 03 August 2008 8:52:48 Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 07:59 -0400, Paul wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up a simple LAN with a samba server on the linux box.
> > [...]
> > I've sometimes gotten the shares to display, but I always get met
> > by user/password dialog, that I can't get past.
>
> I assume you don't want to give access without a password.
>
> > Ultimately, I want to allow access from the windows side to samba by a
> > single windows user and deny access to others.
>
> Make sure security is set to "user" in smb.conf:
>
> security = user
>
> Make sure that encrypted passwords are turned on in smb.conf:
>
> encrypt passwords = true
>
> Restart Samba (makes certain the changes are picked up).
>
> Run smbpasswd as root on the samba machine to set up their password. In
> this example, the user is "freddy":
>
> sudo smbpassd -a freddy
>
> You'll be prompted for the password. Note that "freddy" is the username
> on the Samba machine, not on the Windows machine. It's marginally easier
> on the user if the usernames are the same though. The password does not
> have to be (and should not be) the user's password on their Windows
> machine.
>
> Basically that's all there is to it.
>
> Regards, K.
Since I thought I had done this (but I'll verify), I must have created a
conflict elsewhere in smb.conf.

So you know of a minimal smb.conf file that I could start rebuilding from?

Paul

Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Karl Auer

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:20 -0400, Paul wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2008 8:52:48 Karl Auer wrote:
> Since I thought I had done this (but I'll verify), I must have created
> a conflict elsewhere in smb.conf.
> So you know of a minimal smb.conf file that I could start rebuilding
> from?

The default that comes with Ubuntu is well-commented and will work (or
close to it) out of the box with minimal effort. Otherwise, post yours -
just the global section with comments trimmed and the section relating
to the share you want for the windows user.

Regards, K.