Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default using VNC to *control* a remote session

i just now noticed, in the files that come with the vnc-server
package, the "x0vncserver" program. "man x0vncserver":

"x0vncserver is a VNC server which continuously polls any X display,
allowing it to be controlled via VNC..."

ok, so does that give one the ability to control a remote session,
the way paul johnson was waxing nostalgic about earlier? i must
investigate further ...

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Les Mikesell

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

i just now noticed, in the files that come with the vnc-server
package, the "x0vncserver" program. "man x0vncserver":

"x0vncserver is a VNC server which continuously polls any X display,
allowing it to be controlled via VNC..."

ok, so does that give one the ability to control a remote session,
the way paul johnson was waxing nostalgic about earlier? i must
investigate further ...

There are any number of ways to 'control a remote session'. If you mean
specifically while it is also displayed on the main console, then the X
module is one way to do it. I think KDE and Gnome have desktop sharing
options too. I usually run the desktop I want to share under freenx and
always access it remotely since the performance is better than vnc - but
vnc is good enough it you just want to check some long-running program
occasionally.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i just now noticed, in the files that come with the vnc-server
> > package, the "x0vncserver" program. "man x0vncserver":
> >
> > "x0vncserver is a VNC server which continuously polls any X display,
> > allowing it to be controlled via VNC..."
> >
> > ok, so does that give one the ability to control a remote session,
> > the way paul johnson was waxing nostalgic about earlier? i must
> > investigate further ...
> >

> There are any number of ways to 'control a remote session'. If you
> mean specifically while it is also displayed on the main console,
> then the X module is one way to do it.

sorry, but by "X module," do you mean the aforementioned x0vncserver?

> I think KDE and Gnome have desktop sharing options too. I usually
> run the desktop I want to share under freenx and always access it
> remotely since the performance is better than vnc - but vnc is good
> enough it you just want to check some long-running program
> occasionally.

i realize there are options outside of VNC, i just wanted to keep that
wiki page VNC-specific. admittedly, though, i've never used freenx.
now you've piqued my interest ...

rday

p.s. i've already updated the VNC wiki page to discuss x0vncserver.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Les Mikesell

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

There are any number of ways to 'control a remote session'. If you
mean specifically while it is also displayed on the main console,
then the X module is one way to do it.

sorry, but by "X module," do you mean the aforementioned x0vncserver?

x0vncseerver is an old and obsolete way of doing the same thing:

http://www.realvnc.com/products/enterprise/4.2/x0.html

I haven't set this up since FC6, but I'd expect the vnc.so module to
still be included in any current xorg distribution.

I think KDE and Gnome have desktop sharing options too. I usually
run the desktop I want to share under freenx and always access it
remotely since the performance is better than vnc - but vnc is good
enough it you just want to check some long-running program
occasionally.

i realize there are options outside of VNC, i just wanted to keep that
wiki page VNC-specific. admittedly, though, i've never used freenx.
now you've piqued my interest ...

The kde (gnome?) options are vnc as well, just from the desktop side of
the X frame instead of the X side. With the vnc.so module it will work
with any window manager.

And freenx is well worth the trouble to set up if you do much remote work.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com