Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM
"Sebastian H. Schmidt"

Default Grub Install on existing Partitioned Harddrive

Hello,

I want to install FC 8 on my Macbook Pro (SantaRosa) which is already
partitioned, and i`m not able to change it. Currently the existing
Partition Table Looks like this

[EFI][MAC-OS]{Free128MB}[MAC-Data]{Free128MB}[WINXP]

Since there is not enough space left on the harddrive i have to install
the Linux on a external drive, but thx to Apple it could not boot
completely from my external HD, so i had to put my /boot partition in
one of the Free 128 MB blocks. .. and thats where it gets messy.
Since this new Partition is not one of the first Four FC6/CentOS are
telling me that this installation is not possible. So 2 Weeks ago i
installed Ubuntu and it worked fine, i think because it installed the
GRUB bootloader into the MBR of the Windows Partition (because it
appears when i wanted to start it).
Now i have to install FC8x64 and doing that from the Live CD It
creates all the directories and necessary filemounts, but it seems that
it installed the bootloader somwhere it does not get recognised. And now
to the question, how do i install the the bootloader into the MBR of the
Windowspartition but refering to the grub files in the /boot partition.
Is this possible, does this might work ? ... if so .. how.
I had a look at the grub installation page but it is not clear for me
how this might work without crashing the whole machine.

grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda

does [--root-directory=/boot] means "you find your grub data in /boot" ?
does [/dev/hda] means "install the bootloader to /dev/hda" ?
does it might work if i use
grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda4 ?
because the windows partition is sda4 and i want the bootloader
installed there ?

thx very,very much for your help.

Sebastian

Old 01-20-2008, 06:48 PM
William Estrada

Sebastian,

If you already have Grub installed then you don't need to reinstall it
again. Just update your grub.conf or menu.list. The update should point
to your external disk.

This may help you: http://64.124.13.3/hacks/USB_Boot_using_GRUB.html
There are some other links at the bottom of the page.

Message: 10

--
William Estrada
MrUmunhum@popdial.com

Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 PM
"Sebastian H. Schmidt"

Hi William,

thx for your answer, the problem is that the grub loader is installed
but is not loaded, i guess because it is installed onto the MBR of the
5. Partition (my /boot partition) so i guess i have to manage to get it
installed onto my fourth partition (WINXP) doesnt i ?

thx

Sebastian