Old 01-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Dick Holland

Default Linux Linksys Kiss 1600 PC-Link

To close a very old thread, I've now found a perl PC-Link equivalent
called KiSSnTel at http://skunkworks.net.au It works beautifully on my
Fedora 8.

Thanks to all who set me searching!

--
Dick Holland

Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 08:32 +0000, Dick Holland wrote:
> To close a very old thread

No, you haven't. You've replied to ANOTHER thread, hijacking that one.

Your message is not tied to its original thread in any way. I, and many
others, will NOT find it when looking for a resolution to that thread.
that thread.

NB: Threads are not "threaded" by the text written in the subject line.
They're threaded by the message headers that say *this* message is
"in-reply-to" the "message-id" of the message that it's *actually* in
reply to, and a "references" header that lists the other messages in the
same thread.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Dick Holland

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 22:34 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 08:32 +0000, Dick Holland wrote:
> > To close a very old thread
>
> No, you haven't. You've replied to ANOTHER thread, hijacking that one.
>
> Your message is not tied to its original thread in any way. I, and many
> others, will NOT find it when looking for a resolution to that thread.
> that thread.
>
> NB: Threads are not "threaded" by the text written in the subject line.
> They're threaded by the message headers that say *this* message is
> "in-reply-to" the "message-id" of the message that it's *actually* in
> reply to, and a "references" header that lists the other messages in the
> same thread.
>
> --
> [tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

My goodness, Tim, you certainly need to be taught some manners, don't
you?

I was trying to thank the people who had helped me before (needless to
say that you weren't one of them) and let them them know that I have
found a solution.

To those who helped me, thank you again.

--
Dick Holland

Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM
max

Dick Holland wrote:

No, you haven't. You've replied to ANOTHER thread, hijacking that one.

Your message is not tied to its original thread in any way. I, and many
others, will NOT find it when looking for a resolution to that thread.
that thread.

NB: Threads are not "threaded" by the text written in the subject line.
They're threaded by the message headers that say *this* message is
"in-reply-to" the "message-id" of the message that it's *actually* in
reply to, and a "references" header that lists the other messages in the
same thread.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

My goodness, Tim, you certainly need to be taught some manners, don't
you?

He might need a lesson in manners but apparently so do you, since he is
100% correct that you hijacked a thread and mixed this thread in with
another unrelated thread.

I was trying to thank the people who had helped me before (needless to
say that you weren't one of them) and let them them know that I have
found a solution.

A proper thank you would have been sent back to the original thread. The
people who helped you there might not even look through this thread. Do
you imagine that every person that subscribes to the Fedora List reads
every thread in its entirety?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 15:05 +0000, Dick Holland wrote:
> My goodness, Tim, you certainly need to be taught some manners, don't
> you?

The one without the manners was you, I was *correcting* you. When
correcting someone who's not used their manners, it's the first person
who was at fault. You're the one that needs to learn manners, and needs
to learn to accept being corrected, and not try to fob off your own
mistakes onto someone else.

> I was trying to thank the people who had helped me before (needless to
> say that you weren't one of them) and let them them know that I have
> found a solution.
>
> To those who helped me, thank you again.

And, as I pointed out, you've filed your message in the wrong place.
You might as well have scrawled it on chalk on the pavement, instead,
for all the good it will do.

It won't be attached to the thread it belongs to. So nobody with
threaded e-mail, or those perusing the archive on the thread on the web,
will see it where it needs to be seen.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.