Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Reik Red

Default init and pulseaudio

Why would the command

/etc/init.d/pulseaudio start

work, whereas the command

service pulseaudio start

produces an X11 error "XOpenDisplay() failed" as seen below?

I'm baffled. Granted, I hacked /etc/init.d/pulseaudio myself, but
how could it produce such different results?

Reik

PS: the reason I want to have pulseaudio as a service is that I don't
use gnome or kde, and hence have no simple way of starting pulseaudio
automatically when a session starts.

==============================
(root) 111 > /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start
Starting PulseAudio Daemon: pulseaudio.

(root) 112 > W: main.c: Warning: home directory of user 'pulse' is not '/var/run/pulse', ignoring.
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0

(root) 112 > /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop
Stopping PulseAudio Daemon: pulseaudio.

(root) 113 > service pulseaudio start
Starting PulseAudio Daemon: pulseaudio.

(root) 114 > W: main.c: Warning: home directory of user 'pulse' is not '/var/run/pulse', ignoring.
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
NOTE: HERE IS THE NEW ERROR
E: x11wrap.c: XOpenDisplay() failed
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-x11-publish" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: failed to initialize daemon.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 AM
"Chris Rouch"

On 1/20/08, Reik Red <reikred@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would the command
>
> /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start
>
> work, whereas the command
>
> service pulseaudio start
>
> produces an X11 error "XOpenDisplay() failed" as seen below?

I would guess that in the first case you have write access to the
display and in the second you don't. In any case, if you run
pulseaudio as a service you want to disable x11. The simplest way to
do this is to remove the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm.

Regards,

Chris

Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:29 +0100, Chris Rouch wrote:
> On 1/20/08, Reik Red <reikred@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why would the command
> >
> > /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start
> >
> > work, whereas the command
> >
> > service pulseaudio start
> >
> > produces an X11 error "XOpenDisplay() failed" as seen below?
>
> I would guess that in the first case you have write access to the
> display and in the second you don't. In any case, if you run
> pulseaudio as a service you want to disable x11. The simplest way to
> do this is to remove the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

I seem to stay confused. /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start and
service pulseaudio start
are equivalent.

What do you mean by disabling x11. Do you think that the OP was running
these commands at run level 3?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
"Chris Rouch"

On 2/7/08, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:29 +0100, Chris Rouch wrote:
> > On 1/20/08, Reik Red <reikred@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why would the command
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start
> > >
> > > work, whereas the command
> > >
> > > service pulseaudio start
> > >
> > > produces an X11 error "XOpenDisplay() failed" as seen below?
> >
> > I would guess that in the first case you have write access to the
> > display and in the second you don't. In any case, if you run
> > pulseaudio as a service you want to disable x11. The simplest way to
> > do this is to remove the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> I seem to stay confused. /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start and
> service pulseaudio start
> are equivalent.
>
> What do you mean by disabling x11. Do you think that the OP was running
> these commands at run level 3?

No idea, but when a service is started at boot time, it has no X
display to talk to regardless of the run level. Only when you log into
the X display does it become available, by which time it is too late.

Chris