Old 01-19-2008, 06:07 PM
"John K. Herreshoff"

Default Where to get Fedora 8 CDs

Hi. I've burned a dvd image for Fedora 8. My Tyan S2466 Motherboard and Sony
DRU-840A will not boot the dvd. They will, however, boot from a CD image.
The problem is probably the Tyan motherboard. Where do I get CD iso images
so I can boot and install Fedora 8... Or is there a way to take the dvd iso
image and split it into install disks for CDs? I can read the DVD in linux,
I just cannot boot from it ;-)

John.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
"John K. Herreshoff"

On Saturday 19 January 2008 14:11:01 pm Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 1:07 PM, John K. Herreshoff <jkherr@power-net.net> wrote:
> > Hi. I've burned a dvd image for Fedora 8. My Tyan S2466 Motherboard and
> > Sony DRU-840A will not boot the dvd. They will, however, boot from a CD
> > image. The problem is probably the Tyan motherboard. Where do I get CD
> > iso images so I can boot and install Fedora 8... Or is there a way to
> > take the dvd iso image and split it into install disks for CDs? I can
> > read the DVD in linux, I just cannot boot from it ;-)
> >
> > John.
>
> http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins
>
> --
> Fedora 7 : sipping some of that moonshine
> ( www.pembo13.com )

And that does what to get me Fedora 8 on CDs?

John.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Steven Stern

Old 01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Todd Zullinger

John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008 14:11:01 pm Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins
[...]
> And that does what to get me Fedora 8 on CDs?

If you read partway down the page referenced, you'll see:

Fedora 8 CD Sets

This is the jigdo for the Fedora 8 i386 and x86_64 CD sets.

Read More…

There have been a few scripts posted in the archives to split the dvd
image into cd's, but I don't have any links handy to give you.

Another way you might go would be to boot from either the boot.iso
image or the (soon-to-be-renamed) rescuecd.iso image. Then you could
do the install by pointing to the dvd.iso file sitting somewhere on
your network or hard drive (or just do a straight network install).

FWIW, with Fedora 9, CD iso sets will be produced again, AIUI.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Richard England

Steven Stern wrote:

It might be helpful to point out http://spins.fedoraunity.org/ which
gives some background on what is located at the fedoraunity site. It
does not contain the ISOs as sites have in the past, only a
process/technique for creating them.

~~R

Old 01-19-2008, 07:14 PM
William Estrada

John,

I installed from an ISO image on a USB hard drive. Very easily done.
Make sure the name is the same. The install process will ask you where
to find the Packages and you just select local hard drive.
You boot from the cd. I don't remember if you need to supply 'askmethod'
on the boot command line or not?

--
William Estrada
MrUmunhum@popdial.com

Message: 11 Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:07:06 -0500 From: "John K.
Herreshoff" <jkherr@power-net.net> Subject: Where to get Fedora 8 CDs
To: fedora-list@redhat.com Message-ID:
<200801191407.06301.jkherr@power-net.net> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"

Hi. I've burned a dvd image for Fedora 8. My Tyan S2466 Motherboard
and Sony DRU-840A will not boot the dvd. They will, however, boot
from a CD image. The problem is probably the Tyan motherboard. Where
do I get CD iso images so I can boot and install Fedora 8... Or is
there a way to take the dvd iso image and split it into install disks
for CDs? I can read the DVD in linux, I just cannot boot from it
;-)

John.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:20 PM
"John K. Herreshoff"

On Saturday 19 January 2008 15:08, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 January 2008 14:11:01 pm Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >> http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins
>
> [...]
>
> > And that does what to get me Fedora 8 on CDs?
>
> If you read partway down the page referenced, you'll see:
>
> Fedora 8 CD Sets
>
> This is the jigdo for the Fedora 8 i386 and x86_64 CD sets.
>
> Read More…
>
> There have been a few scripts posted in the archives to split the dvd
> image into cd's, but I don't have any links handy to give you.
>
> Another way you might go would be to boot from either the boot.iso
> image or the (soon-to-be-renamed) rescuecd.iso image. Then you could
> do the install by pointing to the dvd.iso file sitting somewhere on
> your network or hard drive (or just do a straight network install).
>
> FWIW, with Fedora 9, CD iso sets will be produced again, AIUI.

Thanks, Todd. I'll check it out with the tri-focals next time ;-)

John.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
"John K. Herreshoff"

On Saturday 19 January 2008 15:08:48 pm Todd Zullinger wrote:
> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 January 2008 14:11:01 pm Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >> http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins
>
> [...]
>
> > And that does what to get me Fedora 8 on CDs?
>
> If you read partway down the page referenced, you'll see:
>
> Fedora 8 CD Sets
>
> This is the jigdo for the Fedora 8 i386 and x86_64 CD sets.
>
> Read More…
>
> There have been a few scripts posted in the archives to split the dvd
> image into cd's, but I don't have any links handy to give you.
>
> Another way you might go would be to boot from either the boot.iso
> image or the (soon-to-be-renamed) rescuecd.iso image. Then you could
> do the install by pointing to the dvd.iso file sitting somewhere on
> your network or hard drive (or just do a straight network install).
>
> FWIW, with Fedora 9, CD iso sets will be produced again, AIUI.

Thanks to all who replied. jigdo-bin built and downloading isos right now :-)

John.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 PM
David Timms

John K. Herreshoff wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. jigdo-bin built and downloading isos right now :-)
For others: yum install pyjigdo to install both the base jigdo and the
pyjigdo text interface for it. A bit easier than compiling it yourself ;-)

DaveT.