Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Mark

Default Where do i change the default DVD application?

Hey,

I just wanted to play a DVD in Fedora 8 and found that it (by default)
starts totem when you insert a dvd movie but i don't want totem for my
dvd! i want mplayer for it (installed and working) but i can't find
anything to set mplayer to the default for playing DVD movies.

i tried gnome-default-applications-properties but that doesn't have a
dvd option.
So where can i change the behavior that totem starts my dvd movies?

This really should be placed in a future gnome-default-applications-properties!
(gonna fill as feature request on the bugzilla of redhat).

Mark.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
David Boles

Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Mark

> Does
>
> System > Preferences > Preferred Applications > MultiMedia > 'pick one'
>
> help?

Nope doesn't help at all for dvd playing. that works on just video
files (ogg, avi, mpeg etc).

It's set on mplayer here.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Mark

Oke i found it. it's hidden in a strange location.
It's located in:

System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Removable devices and media
than in the Multimedia tab.

Now that name is by far suggestion that "preferred applications" can
be set in there.
Would be best if this gets merged with the other Preferred
Applications if you ask me.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
David Boles

Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:06 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Oke i found it. it's hidden in a strange location.
> It's located in:
>
> System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Removable devices and media
> than in the Multimedia tab.
>
> Now that name is by far suggestion that "preferred applications" can
> be set in there.
> Would be best if this gets merged with the other Preferred
> Applications if you ask me.

Misunderstanding on your behalf...

The removable media preferences come into action when dealing with
removable media. DVDs are removable media. You plug it in, there's an
action for that.

Default application preferences are for when you ask the system to do
open something. If you were to do some mouse clicking on a DVD, then
here would be an appropriate place to set the default application.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Mark

2008/1/20, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>:
> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:06 +0100, Mark wrote:
> > Oke i found it. it's hidden in a strange location.
> > It's located in:
> >
> > System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Removable devices and media
> > than in the Multimedia tab.
> >
> > Now that name is by far suggestion that "preferred applications" can
> > be set in there.
> > Would be best if this gets merged with the other Preferred
> > Applications if you ask me.
>
> Misunderstanding on your behalf...
>
> The removable media preferences come into action when dealing with
> removable media. DVDs are removable media. You plug it in, there's an
> action for that.
>
> Default application preferences are for when you ask the system to do
> open something. If you were to do some mouse clicking on a DVD, then
> here would be an appropriate place to set the default application.

Well. i don't see it as a misunderstanding on my behalf.. i didn't
made 2 applications to manage preferred applications.

Where would you expect it to be if you didn't know about Removable
devices and media. I would expect it to be in preferred applications.
Now that i know it's not in there i still expect it to be there. The
fact that there is a Removable devices and media is fine. but it
shouldn't have default application stuff in it! there is clearly
another application for that. The Removable devices and media should
just have (for video dvd): Checkbox "Run application when video dvd is
inserted?" (or something like it) and than preferred applications
should take over. In reality this will make Removable devices and
media pointless because it has so little options that they can be
better placed in preferred applications ^_^

Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 15:21 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Where would you expect it to be if you didn't know about Removable
> devices and media.

Blunt answer: We have menus, it allows us to look through them and see
what's on offer. It doesn't take too long to find these choices. And
if you're unfamiliar with a system, it does pay to look through them all
from time to time, and find out what they're for.

Having said that, I see room for improvement. The default applications
should set what program is the DVD player, amongst other default
applications you could set (music players, text editors, etc.). So that
anything that calls upon a DVD player, uses your preferred one. The
removeable media preferences should ask whether you want to play the DVD
video automatically, or not, with the first playing option being to use
your default player, *then* let you pick some other option, with another
parameter, if you wanted.

e.g. Auto-play on insertion might use a simple command that starts
playing full screen, and no further questions asked. Double-clicking or
right-click to play a DVD might bring up a player with a GUI control
panel. For those people that do have different preferences for those
two different ways.

Personally, I'd turn auto-play-on-insert off, and pick a player that'd
be used when I deliberately want to play a disc. I don't usually play
DVDs on the computer, I do often copy them though. Auto players get in
the way of that.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Simon Andrews

Mark wrote:

open something. If you were to do some mouse clicking on a DVD, then
here would be an appropriate place to set the default application.

Well. i don't see it as a misunderstanding on my behalf.. i didn't
made 2 applications to manage preferred applications.

If it helps, this exact example came up on one of the devel lists last
week as a really ugly part of Gnome which was being actively worked on
for the next release. Preferred applications will hopefully be a lot
cleaner in the next version of Gnome.