Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
"André Costa"

Default HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out of this one...

I plugged my brand new WD Passport Drive
[http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=364] on my F8
box, and it appeared just fine (I had done this before -- I had even
reformatted the partition with NTFS with Windows XP). I wanted to
remove the single 250G NTFS partition and create two smaller ones, and
reformat them as ext3 and HFS for my girlfriend's MacBook.

GParted identified the device just fine, and I had just deleted the
original partition and created two smaller ones (110G and 120G),
unformatted. When I hit the "apply changes" button, GParted told me it
could not see the device anymore. Indeed, it couldn't be seen
anywhere. The disk was not mounted anymore, and did not appear as a
device on GNOME's nautilus.

Here's what's on /var/log/messages, showing what was going on right
before it all went to hell:

Jan 19 12:19:37 localhost kernel: usb 2-3: new high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Jan 19 12:19:37 localhost kernel: usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jan 19 12:19:37 localhost kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Jan 19 12:19:37 localhost kernel: scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Jan 19 12:19:37 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new interface
driver usb-storage
Jan 19 12:19:37 localhost kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access WD
2500BEA External 1.04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 488397168 512-byte
hardware sectors (250059 MB)
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive
cache: write through
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 488397168 512-byte
hardware sectors (250059 MB)
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive
cache: write through
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sdb: sdb1
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost ntfs-3g[9802]: Version 1.1120
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost ntfs-3g[9802]: Mounted /dev/sdb1
(Read-Write, label "Backups", NTFS 3.1)
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost ntfs-3g[9802]: Cmdline options:
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,locale=en_US.UTF-8
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost ntfs-3g[9802]: Mount options:
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,silent,allow_other,non empty,relatime,fsname=/dev/sdb1,blkdev,blksize=4096
Jan 19 12:19:42 localhost hald: mounted /dev/sdb1 on behalf of uid 500

I umounted the device:

Jan 19 12:26:00 localhost ntfs-3g[9802]: Unmounting /dev/sdb1 (Backups)
Jan 19 12:26:00 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Jan 19 12:26:00 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Here's when I think it all went wrong:

Jan 19 12:28:48 localhost kernel: usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 2

Why's that? Timeout??!

After that, this is what happens when I try to reconnect the device:

Jan 19 12:40:23 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 2
Jan 19 12:40:23 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:24 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:24 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 3
Jan 19 12:40:24 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:24 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:24 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 4
Jan 19 12:40:25 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device not accepting
address 4, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:25 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 5
Jan 19 12:40:25 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device not accepting
address 5, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:35 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 6
Jan 19 12:40:35 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:35 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:35 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 7
Jan 19 12:40:36 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:36 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:36 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 8
Jan 19 12:40:36 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device not accepting
address 8, error -71
Jan 19 12:40:36 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 9
Jan 19 12:40:37 localhost kernel: usb 7-1: device not accepting
address 9, error -71

It just goes on and on and on... =/

Neither Linux, nor WinXP nor OSX 10.4 recognize the device any longer.

Please, please, please, someone tells me this can be fixed ={ Any
advice will be welcome.

TIA

Andre

Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
François Patte

Old 01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
"André Costa"

Hi François,

2008/1/19 François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr>:

> André Costa a écrit :
> > Any
> > advice will be welcome.
> >

> Change the usb cable.
>
> I had a lot of error like this with a bad cable:
>
> device descriptor read/64, error -71

But, given that it was working with this same cable and it stopped
working in the middle of a GParted session, I'm not sure it will work
(it's the cable that came with the device), but... as I said, I gotta
try everything.

> Don't know why you use gparted to format an external HD...

I didn't want to use GParted to format the drive, just to repartition
it (after all, this is GParted's purpose, isn't it?). I was going to
format the partitions (NTFS, HFS) on WinXP/OSX respectively.

Thks anyway for the suggestion, if nothing else works I will try
changing the cable. I still hope some other ideas will popup -- I
still can't see what I've done wrong that could have caused this,
there should be a way out.

Regards,

Andre

Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM
"Aldo Foot"

On Jan 19, 2008 9:56 AM, André Costa <blueser@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi François,

2008/1/19 François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr>:

> André Costa a écrit :
> > Any
> > advice will be welcome.
> >

> Change the usb cable.
>
> I had a lot of error like this with a bad cable:

> device descriptor read/64, error -71

But, given that it was working with this same cable and it stopped
working in the middle of a GParted session, I'm not sure it will work
(it's the cable that came with the device), but... as I said, I gotta

try everything.

Right about now is when I put my gloves on...
How about taking the HDD out of the USB enclosure and attach it directly
to a machine via IDE cable? Then partition or you could try all sorts of troubleshooting.

This CD has several HDD tools.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

good luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Karl Larsen

Aldo Foot wrote:

[...]

I have a USB X-835 USB 2.0 Hard Drivekit made by ADS Tecnologies Inc
but made in China. I have a 15 GB regular IDE hard drive in it and I can
do anything I want, to the hard drive right thru the USB port.

Do you for sure have a 2.0 USB in your computer?

Karl

Old 01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
John Summerfield

Karl Larsen wrote:

I have a USB X-835 USB 2.0 Hard Drivekit made by ADS Tecnologies Inc
but made in China. I have a 15 GB regular IDE hard drive in it and I can
do anything I want, to the hard drive right thru the USB port.

Do you for sure have a 2.0 USB in your computer?

Speed aside, they're interchangeable (though perhaps the older cables
might not be up to 2.0 spec).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 07:25 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> > I have a USB X-835 USB 2.0 Hard Drivekit made by ADS Tecnologies Inc
> > but made in China. I have a 15 GB regular IDE hard drive in it and I can
> > do anything I want, to the hard drive right thru the USB port.
> >
> > Do you for sure have a 2.0 USB in your computer?
>
> Speed aside, they're interchangeable (though perhaps the older cables
> might not be up to 2.0 spec).
----
I had the service manager from Edge Technologies (appeared to be
knowledgeable) tell me that all standard USB cables are suitable for USB
2.0

Craig

Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 PM
"André Costa"

Hi Aldo, thks for jumping in.

2008/1/19 Aldo Foot <lunixer@gmail.com>:

> On Jan 19, 2008 9:56 AM, André Costa <blueser@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi François,

> > > Change the usb cable.
> > >
> > > I had a lot of error like this with a bad cable:
> > >
> > > device descriptor read/64, error -71
> >
> > But, given that it was working with this same cable and it stopped
> > working in the middle of a GParted session, I'm not sure it will work
> > (it's the cable that came with the device), but... as I said, I gotta
> > try everything.
> >

> Right about now is when I put my gloves on...
> How about taking the HDD out of the USB enclosure and attach it directly
> to a machine via IDE cable? Then partition or you could try all sorts of
> troubleshooting.
>
> This CD has several HDD tools.
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>
> good luck.

Yeah, this will be my last resort, if I am sure the disk is considered
wasted I will try it. But first I'll try some other things -- even
contacting WD Support to see if they come up with something beyond the
usual "we don't support Linux, you're on your own" crap.

I've read some reports about the same error messages suggesting they
could be caused by insufficient power on the USB ports (looks like it
really fluctuates, and that external drives demand more power than
usual USB devices). Initially I wouldn't consider this an option on my
case, since the drive already worked on this same port I am trying now
before the failed GParted session. However, I don't know if the drive
is now in a weird state in which more power is needed...

WD sells a "power booster cable" for USD 9.99, but they only sell it
on the US =/ I'll try to buy a AC powered USB hub, this should ensure
all the power needed and get one variable out of the equation.

Thks for the suggestion, and for the link. Any more ideas are still welcome ;-)

Regards,

Andre

Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

André Costa wrote:

I've read some reports about the same error messages suggesting they
could be caused by insufficient power on the USB ports (looks like it
really fluctuates, and that external drives demand more power than
usual USB devices). Initially I wouldn't consider this an option on my
case, since the drive already worked on this same port I am trying now
before the failed GParted session. However, I don't know if the drive
is now in a weird state in which more power is needed...

WD sells a "power booster cable" for USD 9.99, but they only sell it
on the US =/ I'll try to buy a AC powered USB hub, this should ensure
all the power needed and get one variable out of the equation.

I have 2 2-1/2" USB drives that get their power from the USB bus.
They both draw more power then one USB connection will easily
supply. The computer end of the cable has 2 USB plugs, one that is
only a power connection. To make the drives work right, you have to
plug in the power-only plug first, wait 10 seconds for the drive to
spin up, and then plug in the data connection. If you plug them in
at the same time, or only use one plug, it will sometimes work, but
it will usually have problems.

One other thing to keep in mind - if the drive drew too much power,
the USB port may have shut down. I know some kernels enforce the
power limits, but I don't remember if the current kernels do. There
was debate about this, but I don't remember reading about the final
decision. Moving to another USB port may fix the problem. (I don't
remember how to reset the port.) This shotdown may also be BIOS
dependent. On my laptop, I get overcurrent warnings when waking up
under Windows sense updating the BIOS. I have not tested this under
Linux yet.

Mikkel

Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 AM
John Thompson

On 2008-01-19, André Costa <blueser@gmail.com> wrote:

> I plugged my brand new WD Passport Drive
> [http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=364] on my F8
> box, and it appeared just fine (I had done this before -- I had even
> reformatted the partition with NTFS with Windows XP). I wanted to
> remove the single 250G NTFS partition and create two smaller ones, and
> reformat them as ext3 and HFS for my girlfriend's MacBook.
>
> GParted identified the device just fine, and I had just deleted the
> original partition and created two smaller ones (110G and 120G),
> unformatted. When I hit the "apply changes" button, GParted told me it
> could not see the device anymore. Indeed, it couldn't be seen
> anywhere. The disk was not mounted anymore, and did not appear as a
> device on GNOME's nautilus.

What does fdisk say about the device? You can have fdisk write a new,
empty partition table to start fresh and then create your new
partitions..

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)