Old 01-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Claude Jones

Default Off Topic: can anyone recommend a USB KVM

though not a strictly Fedora question, I hope the accumulated knowledge-base
here can point me at a solution

Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and keyboards, both as inputs
and outputs? One that actually works? I've tried a StarTech that seemed to
offer the features, but, had a disclaimer in the docs which arrived with it
which said it may not, and it indeed would not... I don't want one of the
ones that accepts PS2 mice and keyboards for various reasons.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:18:29AM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and keyboards, both
> as inputs and outputs? One that actually works?

Raritan makes small 2- and 4-port switches; I've got a combo PS2/USB 4-port
running in my office (being able to accept both means I can just drop
client machines in to work on 'em, whether they're older or newer.)

HOWEVER--I've only had about 75% success with this company. While I've
never had a problem with my heterogeneous setup here, sometimes the
switch at some client sites will lock up and have to be totally unplugged
(power supply _and_ all cables) to reset. Raritan has pretty much just
shipped replacement switches when I've complained.

I've had much worse luck with Belkin, StarTech, and a few others; so-so
luck with TrippLite's 2-port switch.
--
Dave Ihnat
President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
"Dick Seabrook"

though not a strictly Fedora question, I hope the accumulated knowledge-base
here can point me at a solution

Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and keyboards, both as inputs
and outputs? One that actually works? I've tried a StarTech that seemed to

offer the features, but, had a disclaimer in the docs which arrived with it
which said it may not, and it indeed would not... I don't want one of the
ones that accepts PS2 mice and keyboards for various reasons.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

I'm using a 2-port CablesToGo at home with a USB mouse and a PS2
keyboard, Fedora 8/FC6 -- seems to work fine.
I've got a 4-port CTG at work switching WinXP/FC6 that works fine

as long as I remember to switch "Auto-follow" back on after power
failures.* I don't use any of 'em from software, only push buttons.
Dick S.

--
Dick Seabrook ~ Anne Arundel Community College

http://enterprise.aacc.edu/~rhs ~ Speed the Net!

Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Claude Jones

On Saturday January 19 2008 11:46:52 am Dick Seabrook wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 10:18 AM, Claude Jones <cjones@levitjames.com>
wrote:
> > though not a strictly Fedora question, I hope the
> > accumulated knowledge-base
> > here can point me at a solution
> >
> > Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and
> > keyboards, both as inputs
> > and outputs? One that actually works? I've tried a StarTech
> > that seemed to offer the features, but, had a disclaimer in
> > the docs which arrived with it
> > which said it may not, and it indeed would not... I don't
> > want one of the ones that accepts PS2 mice and keyboards for
> > various reasons. --
> > Claude Jones
> > Brunswick, MD, USA
> >
> > --
>
> I'm using a 2-port CablesToGo at home with a USB mouse and a
> PS2 keyboard, Fedora 8/FC6 -- seems to work fine.
> I've got a 4-port CTG at work switching WinXP/FC6 that works
> fine as long as I remember to switch "Auto-follow" back on
> after power failures. I don't use any of 'em from software,
> only push buttons. Dick S.

Thanks for the replies, folks. What I need though is all-USB...
We have an Avocent that does that, but, it has an acknowledged
bug that regularly triggers a flood of keystrokes when you
switch to a different machine and depending on what window is
the focus when you switch, can cause strange things to happen.

To reiterate, we are looking for a KVM that accepts USB keyboard
and mouse, and that connects keyboard and mouse via USB to each
computer. AND, most importantly, that actually works! ;-)

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 10:18 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> though not a strictly Fedora question, I hope the accumulated knowledge-base
> here can point me at a solution
>
> Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and keyboards, both as inputs
> and outputs? One that actually works? I've tried a StarTech that seemed to
> offer the features, but, had a disclaimer in the docs which arrived with it
> which said it may not, and it indeed would not... I don't want one of the
> ones that accepts PS2 mice and keyboards for various reasons.

For home use, I have a Belkin Flip with two ports. It seems to work
fine for me (so far...). There are PS/2 and USB models available, with
or without sound switches.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 01-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Richard England

Claude Jones wrote:
though not a strictly Fedora question, I hope the accumulated knowledge-base
here can point me at a solution

Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and keyboards, both as inputs
and outputs? One that actually works? I've tried a StarTech that seemed to
offer the features, but, had a disclaimer in the docs which arrived with it
which said it may not, and it indeed would not... I don't want one of the
ones that accepts PS2 mice and keyboards for various reasons.

Don't know how many ports you need but I've been using both an IOGear
PS2 and an IOGear USB KVM (both 2 port) at two locations for about 4
years with no problems.

~~R

Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Mike Chambers

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 10:18 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> though not a strictly Fedora question, I hope the accumulated knowledge-base
> here can point me at a solution
>
> Does anyone know of a KVM that accepts USB mice and keyboards, both as inputs
> and outputs? One that actually works? I've tried a StarTech that seemed to
> offer the features, but, had a disclaimer in the docs which arrived with it
> which said it may not, and it indeed would not... I don't want one of the
> ones that accepts PS2 mice and keyboards for various reasons.

Wal-Mart here has a kvm switch now, and think it's usb if I read it
right, but don't quote me on that. Not sure but I think it only handles
2 computers.

If not that, try Best buy, circuit city, staples and the like, might
have what your looking for.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"

Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
John Summerfield

Mike Chambers wrote:

If not that, try Best buy, circuit city, staples and the like, might
have what your looking for.

I rather think Claude's looking for users' experience, not just a
catalogue of what's available.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Claude Jones

On Sat January 19 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
> I rather think Claude's looking for users' experience, not just a
> catalogue of what's available.

Yes, exactly. There are two all USB KVM's I've tried, and both were flaky, a
Startech and an Avocent. So far, I don't think anyone has addressed the
precise question, or at least, not with sufficient precision. Most USB based
KVM's require PS2 keyboard and mouse, and they connect to the client machines
via USB - those generally work, though, with caveats. I'm looking
specifically for a KVM that accepts USB keyboard and mouse, and connects to
clients via USB, AND WORKS -- that's the criteria. I'll check the IOGear
units, which I have had good results with, but, the ones I've used were PS2
inputs from the mouse and keyboard, and USB to clients. Since the respondent
who suggested IOGear didn't specify precisely what his units' specs were, I
still don't know whether he was addressing my specific question...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:16:07 -0500
Claude Jones <cjones@levitjames.com> wrote:

> I'll check the IOGear
> units, which I have had good results with

I recently installed an IOGear 4 port USB KVM
that also switches DVI video, not vga, and it
has shocked me by pretty much just working
perfectly out of the box (never had that experience
with any KVM before :-).

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1764
(I did a google product search to find a cheaper
price than the iogear stor :-).

The only glitch I've seen is that you have to switch
to a system while you are booting it, or the video
doesn't pick up the EDID info and falls back on something
like 800x600. Once the systems are up, I can freely
switch between them, and have never noticed any kind
of problem. Not even sure this could be considered
a glitch since most KVMs have the same problem.