-   -   Question about Bluetooth (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/415474-question-about-bluetooth.html)

JD 08-19-2010 10:51 PM

Question about Bluetooth

Hi,
If I boot up while the usb bluetooth is plugged in,
I do not see the bluetooth icon on the bar (Gnome desktop).
But if I unplug it and replug it back in, the icon
appears and then I can use the laptop mouse pad
to click it and connect to the bluetooth mouse.

Is this the expected or normal behaviour?

Sam Varshavchik 08-19-2010 11:03 PM

Question about Bluetooth

JD writes:

Hi,
If I boot up while the usb bluetooth is plugged in,
I do not see the bluetooth icon on the bar (Gnome desktop).
But if I unplug it and replug it back in, the icon
appears and then I can use the laptop mouse pad
to click it and connect to the bluetooth mouse.

Is this the expected or normal behaviour?

No. My bluetooth stick is always plugged in. Comes up just fine.

jack craig 08-19-2010 11:05 PM

Question about Bluetooth

On 08/19/2010 03:51 PM, JD wrote:
> Hi,
> If I boot up while the usb bluetooth is plugged in,
> I do not see the bluetooth icon on the bar (Gnome desktop).
> But if I unplug it and replug it back in, the icon
> appears and then I can use the laptop mouse pad
> to click it and connect to the bluetooth mouse.
>
> Is this the expected or normal behaviour?

try a right click on the icon, i just turned mine off by clicking that icon.

its reasonable you can click to to turn it on ...

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

jack craig 08-19-2010 11:10 PM

Question about Bluetooth

On 08/19/2010 03:51 PM, JD wrote:
> Hi,
> If I boot up while the usb bluetooth is plugged in,
> I do not see the bluetooth icon on the bar (Gnome desktop).
> But if I unplug it and replug it back in, the icon
> appears and then I can use the laptop mouse pad
> to click it and connect to the bluetooth mouse.
>
> Is this the expected or normal behaviour?

try system->preferences->bluetooth good luck, ...

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

JD 08-19-2010 11:13 PM

Question about Bluetooth

On 08/19/2010 04:05 PM, jack craig wrote:

> On 08/19/2010 03:51 PM, JD wrote:
>> Hi,
>> If I boot up while the usb bluetooth is plugged in,
>> I do not see the bluetooth icon on the bar (Gnome desktop).
>> But if I unplug it and replug it back in, the icon
>> appears and then I can use the laptop mouse pad
>> to click it and connect to the bluetooth mouse.
>>
>> Is this the expected or normal behaviour?
>>

> try a right click on the icon, i just turned mine off by clicking that icon.
>
> its reasonable you can click to to turn it on ...

You did not get the gist of my question.

"Darr" 08-20-2010 03:31 AM

Question about Bluetooth

On Thursday, 19 August, 2010 @22:51 zulu, JD scribed:

> Is this the expected or normal behaviour?

Which bluetooth manager are you using?

I recall at least 2 - bluez and blueman.

JD 08-20-2010 04:38 AM

Question about Bluetooth

On 08/19/2010 08:31 PM, Darr wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 August, 2010 @22:51 zulu, JD scribed:
>
>> Is this the expected or normal behaviour?
> Which bluetooth manager are you using?
>
> I recall at least 2 - bluez and blueman.
$ ps -ef | grep blue
root 1200 1 0 18:30 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/bluetoothd --udev
jd 1441 1230 0 18:31 ? 00:00:00 bluetooth-applet

It is the gnome applet that does not show up after I log in.
I have to unplug the bluetooth and plug it back in in order
for gnome to pop the icon on the bar. So, this is either a
problem with hal daemon or it is problem with gnome itself.

"Darr" 08-20-2010 03:22 PM

Question about Bluetooth

On Friday, 20 August, 2010 @04:38 zulu, JD scribed:

> $ ps -ef | grep blue
> root 1200 1 0 18:30 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/bluetoothd
> --udev
> jd 1441 1230 0 18:31 ? 00:00:00
> bluetooth-applet
> It is the gnome applet that does not show up after I log in.

Just to clarify, had you already unplugged/plugged-in the bt adapter before
grep'ing that output?