Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Default Pulseaudio error on HP Probook 4515s

Hi,

This is an smaller problem around pulseaudio. I couldn't explain why is so, but I think this is an PA bug. Currently the playback works every way but, recording not. When I try to use Empathy jabber voice call option to my partner, then rings out with voice, but after pick up - for an shiny brief moment - the mic works, after that no more - and pops out an error that "couldn't link source" (maybe the thread makes itsef suicide, perhaps?). After that I have made an second try - I have attached an USB soundcard - what is widely usable on many linux (it uses Cystal Sound chipset). The result was disappointing - here the mic worked as should, but I heard no voice in my headphone, nor even at my speakers.

Anybody could confirm this is an bug? Is there a known solution?

PS: If needed, I'm ready to debug.

Thanks,

Zoltan
--
PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 AM
Rick Sewill

On 08/19/2010 01:08 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an smaller problem around pulseaudio. I couldn't explain why is
> so, but I think this is an PA bug. Currently the playback works every
> way but, recording not. When I try to use Empathy jabber voice call
> option to my partner, then rings out with voice, but after pick up - for
> an shiny brief moment - the mic works, after that no more - and pops out
> an error that "couldn't link source" (maybe the thread makes itsef
> suicide, perhaps?). After that I have made an second try - I have
> attached an USB soundcard - what is widely usable on many linux (it uses
> Cystal Sound chipset). The result was disappointing - here the mic
> worked as should, but I heard no voice in my headphone, nor even at my
> speakers.
> Anybody could confirm this is an bug? Is there a known solution?
>
> PS: If needed, I'm ready to debug.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zoltan
>
> --
> PGP: 06853DF7

Usually, when I say things about Pulse Audio, others gently correct me.

Sounds like you have two separate problems...without the USB sound card,
your microphone stops working.

With the USB sound card, your speakers/headphones stop working.

I think you need to debug each problem separately.

Do you have pavucontrol installed?
rpm -q -i pavucontrol -- yum install pavucontrol

I'd check what pavucontrol tells you about the volume settings for your
input devices and output devices. Please make sure nothing is muted.

When you add the USB sound card, I'd expect separate controls for the
second sound card.

I only have one sound card...I'd expect Pulse Audio to supply a way to
select the sink (speaker/headphone) and the source (microphone) to use
when you have multiple sound cards. I'm not sure how to select the
source or sink when one has multiple sound cards. Hopefully, others
will answer.

Before running empathy, does your microphone work when you do not have
the USB sound card? After running empathy, do you need to reboot to get
your microphone to work? If you look at the pavucontrol settings for
the microphone before starting empathy and compare those settings after
you start empathy, what changes?

Before running empathy, your speaker/headphones work when you have a
second sound card? After running empathy, do you need to reboot to have
your speaker/microphones work? What pavucontrol settings change for
your speaker/headphones?

I always look at http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup when I have
problems with Pulse Audio...nothing jumps out at me that may help you.
I'm curious what does Empathy think it's using for sound? Is it Alsa or
what?

Is there anything in /var/log/messages from pulseaudio when you run empathy?

Some bug reports suggest doing "pulseaudio -vvv". Normally, pulseaudio
is running as a user startup application (or so I think). Can one do
"kill pulseaudio"
"pulseaudio -vvv > somefile.txt"
and see if there are any useful pulseaudio messages.
I have no idea what pulseaudio -vvv produces...it may be lots of output.
pulseaudio -vvv may have so many messages audio quality will be bad.

My best guess, if the pavucontrols look correct after running empathy,
but the microphone or speakers/headphones stop working, I'd suspect
Pulse Audio or Alsa or both. If the volume controls are being changed,
I'd wonder what empathy is doing.

I haven't tried empathy yet...I should.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

On 08/19/2010 01:08 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:

> Hi,

> This is an smaller problem around pulseaudio. I couldn't explain why is

> so, but I think this is an PA bug. Currently the playback works every

> way but, recording not. When I try to use Empathy jabber voice call

> option to my partner, then rings out with voice, but after pick up - for

> an shiny brief moment - the mic works, after that no more - and pops out

> an error that "couldn't link source" (maybe the thread makes itsef

> suicide, perhaps?). After that I have made an second try - I have

> attached an USB soundcard - what is widely usable on many linux (it uses

> Cystal Sound chipset). The result was disappointing - here the mic

> worked as should, but I heard no voice in my headphone, nor even at my

> speakers.

> Anybody could confirm this is an bug? Is there a known solution?

> PS: If needed, I'm ready to debug.

> Thanks,

> Zoltan

> --

> PGP: Â*06853DF7

Usually, when I say things about Pulse Audio, others gently correct me.

Sounds like you have two separate problems...without the USB sound card,

your microphone stops working.

With the USB sound card, your speakers/headphones stop working.

I think you need to debug each problem separately.

Do you have pavucontrol installed?

rpm -q -i pavucontrol -- yum install pavucontrol

Yes. The whole PA set.
Â*

I'd check what pavucontrol tells you about the volume settings for your

input devices and output devices. Â*Please make sure nothing is muted.

Checked twice. Nothing is turned off.
Â*
When you add the USB sound card, I'd expect separate controls for the

second sound card.

I only have one sound card...I'd expect Pulse Audio to supply a way to

select the sink (speaker/headphone) and the source (microphone) to use

when you have multiple sound cards. Â*I'm not sure how to select the

source or sink when one has multiple sound cards. Â*Hopefully, others

will answer.

Before running empathy, does your microphone work when you do not have

the USB sound card?
There is no sign, to there is some activity on monitors. For the stereo analog device monitoring - it's pulsing as should, but for mic - it's only seems for me nothing happens.

Â* Â*After running empathy, do you need to reboot to get

your microphone to work? Â*
No.
Â*If you look at the pavucontrol settings for

the microphone before starting empathy and compare those settings after

you start empathy, what changes?

Nothing. I could control the volume up to 4x to the default, but nothing changes. If I call my partner through empathy, then, I could hear him, but I couldn't answer - he says he only hears from me garbage noice, or snatches.

Â*

Before running empathy, your speaker/headphones work when you have a

second sound card?
When the second usb card is inserted, and switching to the output, and input - strangely the situation flips. There is totally silence from speakers, but mic works. The problem gets harder, when I say that I have also an integrated mic next to the built-in cam, and there is no any control/adjust it/switch between the headphone mic and the built-in one.

Â* After running empathy, do you need to reboot to have

your speaker/microphones work?
Sometimes Empathy Voip part immediatelly brokes, when the call is received - or sent and picked up. Sometimes when I call - then doesn't get's broken, just works without my mic. But when gets broken, yes - I need to restart the whole machine, or kill the whole empathy - to release from freeze.

Â* Â*What pavucontrol settings change for

your speaker/headphones?

I always look at http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup when I have

problems with Pulse Audio...nothing jumps out at me that may help you.

I'm curious what does Empathy think it's using for sound? Â*Is it Alsa or

what?

It's alsa, with the control of PA - I think. I have installed earler alsa and oss compatibility, Jack, and ESD too - sometimes earlier this repaired the PA. But this time not. Also I know perfectSetup, I always begin here - when problems appearing around PA.

Â*
Is there anything in /var/log/messages from pulseaudio when you run empathy?

Some bug reports suggest doing "pulseaudio -vvv". Â*Normally, pulseaudio

is running as a user startup application (or so I think). Â*Can one do

"kill pulseaudio"

"pulseaudio -vvv > somefile.txt"

and see if there are any useful pulseaudio messages.

I have no idea what pulseaudio -vvv produces...it may be lots of output.

pulseaudio -vvv may have so many messages audio quality will be bad.

Here is the output from pulseaudio -vvv:
[zoltan@localhost ~]$ pulseaudio -vvv

I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) meghiúsult: A művelet nem engedélyezett
I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) meghiúsult: A művelet nem engedélyezett
D: core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.

D: core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: main.c: PulseAudio 0.9.21
D: main.c: Ă–sszeĂ©pĂ*tĹ‘ számĂ*tĂłgĂ©p: i386-redhat-linux-gnu
D: main.c: Ă–sszeĂ©pĂ*tĂ©si CFLAGS jelzĹ‘k: -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i686 -mtune=atom -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -Wall -W -Wextra -pipe -Wno-long-long -Winline -Wvla -Wno-overlength-strings -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wformat-nonliteral -Wold-style-definition -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option

D: main.c: Kiszolgáló: Linux i686 2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 23 17:27:40 UTC 2010
D: main.c: 2 CPU található a rendszerben.
I: main.c: Oldalméret: 4096 bájt
D: main.c: Ă–sszeĂ©pĂ*tĂ©s Valgrind támogatással: Nem

D: main.c: Futás Valgrind üzemmódban: no
D: main.c: Running in VM: no
D: main.c: Optimalizált összeĂ©pĂ*tĂ©s: Igen
D: main.c: Minden Ă©rvĂ©nyesĂ*tĂ©s engedĂ©lyezve.
I: main.c: SzámĂ*tĂłgĂ©p-azonosĂ*tĂł: 87b15e3e2ba84de6c2bb975f00000010.

I: main.c: Munkamenet-azonosĂ*tĂł: 87b15e3e2ba84de6c2bb975f00000010-1282313019.361607-323207233.
I: main.c: A futásidőben használt mappa: /home/zoltan/.pulse/87b15e3e2ba84de6c2bb975f00000010-runtime.
I: main.c: Az állapottároló mappa: /home/zoltan/.pulse.

I: main.c: A modulok mappája: /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.21/modules.
I: main.c: Futás rendszer üzemmódban: no
E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: main.c: A „pa_pid_file_create()” calling failed: no
--------------------------------------------EOF-------------------------------------------------------------

Â*

My best guess, if the pavucontrols look correct after running empathy,

but the microphone or speakers/headphones stop working, I'd suspect

Pulse Audio or Alsa or both. Â*If the volume controls are being changed,

I'd wonder what empathy is doing.

Nothing happens. Just the garbage noice gets louder on this side. Well - also I have given a chance also to an podcast recorder wich uses PA. It's called pulsecaster, but records only empty files, and very tiny noice....

Â*

I haven't tried empathy yet...I should.

I hope this info helps, but if the driver has failed around the chip then - it means - I couldn't do much.

Thanks for help,

Zoltan

--
PGP:Â* 06853DF7

Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Rick Sewill

On 08/20/2010 11:14 AM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:

> 2010/8/20 Rick Sewill <rsewill@gmail.com <mailto:rsewill@gmail.com>>
>
> On 08/19/2010 01:08 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> This is an smaller problem around pulseaudio. I couldn't explain
> why is
>> so, but I think this is an PA bug. Currently the playback works every
>> way but, recording not. When I try to use Empathy jabber voice call
>> option to my partner, then rings out with voice, but after pick up
> - for
>> an shiny brief moment - the mic works, after that no more - and
> pops out
>> an error that "couldn't link source" (maybe the thread makes itsef
>> suicide, perhaps?). After that I have made an second try - I have
>> attached an USB soundcard - what is widely usable on many linux
> (it uses
>> Cystal Sound chipset). The result was disappointing - here the mic
>> worked as should, but I heard no voice in my headphone, nor even at my
>> speakers.
>> Anybody could confirm this is an bug? Is there a known solution?
>

>> PS: If needed, I'm ready to debug.
>
>> Thanks,
>
>> Zoltan
>
>> --
>> PGP: 06853DF7

I have an idea about the microphone.

When running pavucontrol, under "Input Devices", do you have more than
one port? I discovered I have, "Microphone 1", "Microphone 2", and
"Line-In" when I look at Port: <one of those names>. Given where I
plugged in my microphone, I believe I need to have "Microphone 1"
selected as the port for my microphone to work.

Could you check if you have multiple ports, and try changing the port,
and see if the microphone works if a certain port is selected?
I would try this test without the second USB sound card.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

I think this will be the problem - I have only one input device called Analog Stereo. No line in or whatever...

Next?

Thanks,

Zoltan

Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Rick Sewill

On 08/20/2010 12:35 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> I think this will be the problem - I have only one input device called
> Analog Stereo. No line in or whatever...
>
> Next?

I'm stuck.

I expected to see, in pavucontrol, "Input Devices", something like,

"Internal Audio Analog Stereo", ... a button to mute, a button to lock
channels together, a button to set as fallback,

and then under that
Port: I have "Microphone 1" selected, other choices "Microphone 2", and
"Line-In"

And then
Front Left <volume slider>
Front Right <volume Slider>

and then a bar showing audio activity.

You might have something different than "Front Left" and "Front
Right"...I don't know.

I don't know how to proceed from here.

Can others answer if it's normal to not have a "Port:", if the card
doesn't support multiple ports?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Rick, here is the pavucontrol input devices picture.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8031/inputdevices.png

Zoltan

Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Rick Sewill

On 08/20/2010 01:06 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Rick, here is the pavucontrol input devices picture.
>
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8031/inputdevices.png
>
> Zoltan

It appears you have two input devices.

One is the RS880 Audio Device.
One is the Bels? hangforr?? Analog Stereo device.

Please accept my apology for using ? for non-English characters.
I don't know how to enter non-English characters.

I'm not sure what the "Monitor of ..." entries are for.
I ignore them (can someone tell us what they are for?).

When you run paman (from rpm -q -i paman), it should show
"Server Information" as the first tab, "Devices" as the second tab,
"Clients" as the third tab, "Modules" as the fourth tab, and finally
"Sample Cache"

For "Server Information", what is the "Default Sink" and what is the
"Default Source".

I have, for Default Sink, alsa_output.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo
Default Source, alsa_input.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo

For devices, I have
Sinks
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo Internal Audio Analog Stereo

Sources
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo.monior
Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo
alsa_input.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo Internal Audio Analog Stereo

This leads to my questions:
1) do you have alsa_input.xxx... for each microphone input source?
I would ignore the "Monitor of ..." entries.
2) On the "Server Information" tab, what is the default Source when
you do not have the USB sound card in, and what is the default Source
when you have the USB sound card.

I still suspect you have to select your default source and default sink.

I did another Internet search...don't know if it will help:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Allowing_Multiple_Programs_to_Play_Sound

Please search for "Random Lack of Sound":
"
Random Lack of Sound

If you randomly have no sound on startup, it may be because your system
has multiple sound cards, and their order may sometimes change on
startup. If this is the case, then change this section of /etc/asound.conf:

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card FOO
}

Replace FOO with the desired audio device, as reported in the
/proc/asound/cards file. An example of the file is shown below.

0 [U0x46d0x9a1 ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x9a1
USB Device 0x46d:0x9a1 at usb-0000:00:12.2-2, high
speed
1 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xf9ff4000 irq 16

Device 0 is the microphone built into a webcam, while device 1 is the
integrated sound card. If you've copied the /etc/asound.conf from above
as is, alsa will attempt to initialize the microphone as an audio output
device, but will fail and you will have no sound. Rather than setting
FOO to the number, you set it to the name next to the number, like so:

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card SB
}
"

Old 08-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Zoltan Hoppar

Rick,

Thank you for helping me - you don't know how grateful to you, but I think it work that solution that I have found in bugzilla - No. 620189. The user between us (Nick is: Electron - huge thanks) has purchased an very cool Asus motherboard. This Asus motherboard has the same vendor chipset (ALC892) as I have in my HP Probook 4515s - and I have used up the solution from him. I have ATi RS 880 Azalia / ST-ALC96xx chipset - driven by snd-intel-hda. I don't know that works on more other brother chipsets, but hopefully this eases many users life - and it needs to be tested widely on many ALC chipset where similar problem appears around this family. If this is the compatibility key in kernel, then somebody needs to pick up and commit my machine type too!

But the main thing is works. My machine has received back the line-in and the integrated mic. So:

Step 1: Create an new file called alsa-base.conf to /etc/modprobe.d
Step 2: Open as root

Step 3: Insert the following line without quotes:
* * * * * * " options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1"
Step 4: Save it - and close nautilus, or your fm - and restart the system!

Enjoy.

PS: I think this could be a full post for fedorasolved - for the current F13.

Thanks,

Zoltan