Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Felipe Furini Soares

Default Boot Fedora from USB

Hello,
I have Ubuntu 10.04 and i would like to create a USB live to try Fedora, does any one know a programme that can help me to boot Fedora from my USB sticker?
Thanks

Felipe

Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:00:50 -0500,
Felipe Furini Soares <felipefurini@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Ubuntu 10.04 and i would like to create a USB live to try Fedora,
> does any one know a programme that can help me to boot Fedora from my USB
> sticker?

Install livecd-tools. You can then use /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk to convert live iso
images to work with usb devices. You can also have an encrypted home directory
and some space for doing updates to the OS if you want.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Mikkel

On 08/19/2010 11:14 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 12:05 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:00:50 -0500,
>> Felipe Furini Soares <felipefurini@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have Ubuntu 10.04 and i would like to create a USB live to try Fedora,
>>> does any one know a programme that can help me to boot Fedora from my USB
>>> sticker?
>
>> Install livecd-tools. You can then use /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk to convert live iso
>> images to work with usb devices. You can also have an encrypted home directory
>> and some space for doing updates to the OS if you want.
>
> Even easier would be to use (as root):
>
> dd if=/path/to/livecd.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=2k
>
> (Substitute the appropriate path to the ISO and the correct device for
> your *unmounted* USB stick). Note that this is a destructive process and
> will completely rewrite your USB stick.

Have you actually done this successfully? I thought the boot loader
location was different on a CD and a hard drive. Or will your BIOS
let you define a USB stick as a USB CD-ROM drive?

Mikkel

Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 AM

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:

Linux Toys