Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

Default Talloc

It seems a little odd to remove ALL symbols from a shared
library the linker had a bit of trouble using the installed talloc.

I don't see any strip or install -s lines in the makefiles or in
the spec.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:48:39 -0400, Kevin wrote:

> It seems a little odd to remove ALL symbols from a shared
> library

"ALL"? That hasn't been done. See nm -D ...

> the linker had a bit of trouble using the installed talloc.

How exactly?

> I don't see any strip or install -s lines in the makefiles or in
> the spec.

It's stripped as part of rpmbuild's -debuginfo package generation.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

> Can you explain what trouble the linker had with the installed talloc?

I run the nightly tests of VTK and ParaView built with nightly Mesa
(software rendering).

It's sort of an early warning system that tells me if there will be
problems with the next versions.

Mesa git just merged it's glsl2 branch which pulled in a talloc requirement.

Mesa builds fine if have libtalloc-devel installed but then VTK fails to
build the tests with :

/home/kevin/mesa/lib/libGL.so: undefined reference to `talloc_strdup'
/home/kevin/mesa/lib/libGL.so: undefined reference to `_talloc_array'
/home/kevin/mesa/lib/libGL.so: undefined reference to `_talloc_free'
and on and on...

Maybe mesa isn't adding -ltalloc

All of this building from git/cvs repositories has me actually checking
that nm will show me the symbols and I've never encountered a library
for which nm said there were no symbols.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

> "ALL"? That hasn't been done. See nm -D ...

Oh, nm -D does show me a lot of mostly unreadable text. Thank you.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM
"Kevin H. Hobbs"

>> "ALL"? That hasn't been done. See nm -D ...
>
> Oh, nm -D does show me a lot of mostly unreadable text. Thank you.

Gahhhhh!

All is good if I type :

nm -D /usr/lib64/libtalloc.so.2.0.0

instead of :