-   -   all the possibilities for emulation/virtualization under fedora? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/41516-all-possibilities-emulation-virtualization-under-fedora.html)

"Robert P. J. Day" 01-19-2008 10:27 AM

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2008 10:18 AM, Brian Chadwick <brianchad@westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > > for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
> > > options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
> > > explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
> > > least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
> > > -- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
> > > and on and on.
> > >
> > > what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
> > > summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.
> > >
> > I havent used QEMU, though a lot of things are based around it. I used
> > to use VMWare. Then I found VirtualBox. FOSS and easy to use. I give it
> > full marks. Xen and KVM require (as far as i know) special CPU support,
> > and as I have an old Athloin XP3200+, I cant use them.
> >
> > But yeah ... put VirtualBox on your list for sure.
>
> Is VirtualBox superior to VMware Server?

i'm hoping someone else can handle that, as i've *just* started to
play with it, and i have the first part of the wiki for this. on the
main page:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

you can see the new section on "Emulation and virtualization" and a
page on VirtualBox, at least enough to get one started. beyond that,
i'll have to come back to it later. i'm currently knee deep in QEMU.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

John Summerfield 01-19-2008 11:14 AM

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
-- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
and on and on.

I had the idea that jumpbox is a tool for creating appliances.

what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.

bochs
plex86 (Was to supercede bochs, changed direction, may have lost direction)
user mode Linux. Implements a Linux kernel whose "hardware" is the host
Linux. The host sees and manages its processes.

Hercules. You would probably not want to host your webserver on it, but
you could. A complete emulation of IBM's S/360 through z/Series and
selected peripherals such as DASD. I have run MVS (an IBM OS from the
70s) on it, and reportedly runs the latest VM, VSE and MVS descendants.
And Linux, of course.

Google shows a selection of 8086 emulators, some commercial and some not.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

"Erik P. Olsen" 01-19-2008 12:14 PM

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
-- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
and on and on.

what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.

I have the need to run the ancient OS/2 system once or twice a year due to
business obligations and for that purpose I have such a system installed. It
would be nice to have a virtual machine for that purpose but I haven't been able
to find one which would do the job. VMware specifically states that they do not
support it and VirtualBox (Innotek) requires cpus with AMD-V or similar support.

Please if possible include such guest system limitations/requirements in the wiki.

--
Erik.

"Robert P. J. Day" 01-19-2008 01:31 PM

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> I have the need to run the ancient OS/2 system once or twice a year
> due to business obligations and for that purpose I have such a
> system installed. It would be nice to have a virtual machine for
> that purpose but I haven't been able to find one which would do the
> job. VMware specifically states that they do not support it and
> VirtualBox (Innotek) requires cpus with AMD-V or similar support.
>
> Please if possible include such guest system limitations/requirements in the
> wiki.

good point -- some of that is already mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

John Summerfield 01-19-2008 09:49 PM

Erik P. Olsen wrote:

I have the need to run the ancient OS/2 system once or twice a year due
to business obligations and for that purpose I have such a system
installed. It would be nice to have a virtual machine for that purpose
but I haven't been able to find one which would do the job. VMware
specifically states that they do not support it and VirtualBox (Innotek)
requires cpus with AMD-V or similar support.

Xen and KVM should both do it, with HV. Apparently the others play funny
bees with the object code.

Microsoft's Virtual PC allows one to choose an OS/2 profile, much to my
astonishment. Of course, that might mean Microsoft OS/2.

"Erik P. Olsen" 01-19-2008 10:06 PM

John Summerfield wrote:

Erik P. Olsen wrote:

I have the need to run the ancient OS/2 system once or twice a year
due to business obligations and for that purpose I have such a system
installed. It would be nice to have a virtual machine for that purpose
but I haven't been able to find one which would do the job. VMware
specifically states that they do not support it and VirtualBox
(Innotek) requires cpus with AMD-V or similar support.

Xen and KVM should both do it, with HV. Apparently the others play funny
bees with the object code.

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

Microsoft's Virtual PC allows one to choose an OS/2 profile, much to my
astonishment. Of course, that might mean Microsoft OS/2.

This is really strange. Microsoft purchased its Virtual PC from Innotek and that
version was capable of running OS/2 as guest without requiring AMD-V. Now
Innotek is back in business with a new virtual PC program which requires AMD-V!

--
Erik.

Brian Chadwick 01-20-2008 12:00 AM

Paul Smith wrote:

for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
-- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
and on and on.

what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.

I havent used QEMU, though a lot of things are based around it. I used
to use VMWare. Then I found VirtualBox. FOSS and easy to use. I give it
full marks. Xen and KVM require (as far as i know) special CPU support,
and as I have an old Athloin XP3200+, I cant use them.

But yeah ... put VirtualBox on your list for sure.

Is VirtualBox superior to VMware Server?

Paul

i am not qualified to say whether its superior, but in my experience it
is faster and easier to use ... and its FOSS

John Summerfield 01-20-2008 07:33 PM

Erik P. Olsen wrote:

This is really strange. Microsoft purchased its Virtual PC from Innotek
and that version was capable of running OS/2 as guest without requiring
AMD-V. Now Innotek is back in business with a new virtual PC program
which requires AMD-V!

Remember, MS OS/2 is 16-bit.