Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Sendmail on a LAN - SOLVED

On 08/18/2010 09:08 PM, JD wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 04:20 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 15:52 -0700, JD wrote:
>>> Thanks to all who made important suggestions.
>>> It now works.
>> Adding SOLVED to the Subject kind of implies that you'll explain *how*
>> it was solved. That's the point.
>>
>> poc
>>
> Well, it was not just one thing, but of all the tweaks I had to do,
> only one turned out to be cruicial:
> I had to comment out one line in sendmail.mc:
>
> cd /etc/mail
>
> edit sendmail.mc
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> i.e. add dnl to the start of the line, and that comments it out:
>
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

You did read the comment just before this line, right?

> dnl #
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
> dnl #
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

The result is that if you were running sendmail with this in place, even
if your router *was* sending you packets to port 25, sendmail wouldn't
be listening for them on any device other than the loopback.

You must have some other DAEMONS_OPTIONS line uncommented in order for
it to listen to some port somewhere....

For years, RedHat has shipped sendmail with this line in place, and for
years, I have gone in and edited it to remove the "Addr=127.0.0.1"
portion so I could receive email from the Internet.

> The minor changes are the common sense things that most mail admins know:
>
> In sendmail.mc:
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`the.domain.name.that.resolves.to.yo ur.router's.public.ip.address')dnl
>
> You obtain one of these for free from dyndns.com
>
> Uncomment the line
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl (i.e. remove the leading # sign and
> leading dnl)
>
> Uncomment the line
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl

I also have a dynamic IP address (mine's from RCN, not AT&T though) and
I do not need to masquerade anything in order for sendmail to receive
email properly. But, I *do* have dyndns publish MX records for my
domains so that other mailers know where to send the emails to.

But, because RCN blocks port 25 *outgoing*, I have to send my email out
though RCN's email server using:

define(`SMART_HOST',`[smtp.mail.rcn.net]')

Other than that, sendmail works as shipped. I have added a few milters
to my configuration, and recently picked up an IPv6 address from
tunnelbroker.net, and proved that I can receive email via the IPv6
tunnel as well by adding an MTA-6 listener.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 18:08 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 04:20 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 15:52 -0700, JD wrote:
> >> Thanks to all who made important suggestions.
> >> It now works.
> > Adding SOLVED to the Subject kind of implies that you'll explain *how*
> > it was solved. That's the point.
> >
> > poc
> >
> Well, it was not just one thing, but of all the tweaks I had to do,
> only one turned out to be cruicial:
> I had to comment out one line in sendmail.mc:
>
> cd /etc/mail
>
> edit sendmail.mc
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> i.e. add dnl to the start of the line, and that comments it out:
>
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> The minor changes are the common sense things that most mail admins know:
>
> In sendmail.mc:
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`the.domain.name.that.resolves.to.yo ur.router's.public.ip.address')dnl
>
> You obtain one of these for free from dyndns.com
>
> Uncomment the line
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl (i.e. remove the leading # sign and
> leading dnl)
>
> Uncomment the line
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
>
> Then
>
> ./make
>
> service sendmail restart
>
> There are other files that need administration, but that is out of the
> scope of this.
----
FTR... you don't actually have to './make' as just restarting sendmail
service (service sendmail restart) will actually compile the sendmail.mc
file for you.

I never saw any need/reason to masquerade outbound mail but it's fairly
benign.

As for instructing sendmail to listen for connections from other than
localhost, that's a really big detail.

Gave up on sendmail years ago in favor of postfix. Nothing actually
wrong with sendmail but postfix was easier to get advanced features
worked out.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 AM
JD

On 08/18/2010 07:21 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> On 08/18/2010 09:08 PM, JD wrote:
>>> Adding SOLVED to the Subject kind of implies that you'll explain *how*
>>> it was solved. That's the point.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>
>> Well, it was not just one thing, but of all the tweaks I had to do,
>> only one turned out to be cruicial:
>> I had to comment out one line in sendmail.mc:
>>
>> cd /etc/mail
>>
>> edit sendmail.mc
>>
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>>
>> i.e. add dnl to the start of the line, and that comments it out:
>>
>> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> You did read the comment just before this line, right?
>
>> dnl #
>> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
>> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
>> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
>> dnl #
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> The result is that if you were running sendmail with this in place, even
> if your router *was* sending you packets to port 25, sendmail wouldn't
> be listening for them on any device other than the loopback.
>
> You must have some other DAEMONS_OPTIONS line uncommented in order for
> it to listen to some port somewhere....
>
> For years, RedHat has shipped sendmail with this line in place, and for
> years, I have gone in and edited it to remove the "Addr=127.0.0.1"
> portion so I could receive email from the Internet.
>
>> The minor changes are the common sense things that most mail admins know:
>>
>> In sendmail.mc:
>>
>> MASQUERADE_AS(`the.domain.name.that.resolves.to.yo ur.router's.public.ip.address')dnl
>>
>> You obtain one of these for free from dyndns.com
>>
>> Uncomment the line
>>
>> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl (i.e. remove the leading # sign and
>> leading dnl)
>>
>> Uncomment the line
>>
>> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
> I also have a dynamic IP address (mine's from RCN, not AT&T though) and
> I do not need to masquerade anything in order for sendmail to receive
> email properly. But, I *do* have dyndns publish MX records for my
> domains so that other mailers know where to send the emails to.
>
> But, because RCN blocks port 25 *outgoing*, I have to send my email out
> though RCN's email server using:
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`[smtp.mail.rcn.net]')
>
> Other than that, sendmail works as shipped. I have added a few milters
> to my configuration, and recently picked up an IPv6 address from
> tunnelbroker.net, and proved that I can receive email via the IPv6
> tunnel as well by adding an MTA-6 listener.
>
>> Then
>>
>> ./make
>>
>> service sendmail restart
>>
>> There are other files that need administration, but that is out of the
>> scope of this.
Look, It works.
I can send
and I can receive.
If that is not good enough for some people,
there is nothing I can do about it.