Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 AM
JD

Default Sendmail on a LAN - SOLVED

> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 15:52 -0700, JD wrote:
>> Thanks to all who made important suggestions.
>> It now works.
> Adding SOLVED to the Subject kind of implies that you'll explain *how*
> it was solved. That's the point.
>
> poc

Well, it was not just one thing, but of all the tweaks I had to do,
only one turned out to be cruicial:
I had to comment out one line in sendmail.mc:

cd /etc/mail

edit sendmail.mc

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

i.e. add dnl to the start of the line, and that comments it out:

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

The minor changes are the common sense things that most mail admins know:

In sendmail.mc:

MASQUERADE_AS(`the.domain.name.that.resolves.to.yo ur.router's.public.ip.address')dnl

You obtain one of these for free from dyndns.com

Uncomment the line

FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl (i.e. remove the leading # sign and
leading dnl)

Uncomment the line

FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl

Then

./make

service sendmail restart

There are other files that need administration, but that is out of the
scope of this.