Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default all the possibilities for emulation/virtualization under fedora?

for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
-- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
and on and on.

what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Brian Chadwick

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
-- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
and on and on.

what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

I havent used QEMU, though a lot of things are based around it. I used
to use VMWare. Then I found VirtualBox. FOSS and easy to use. I give it
full marks. Xen and KVM require (as far as i know) special CPU support,
and as I have an old Athloin XP3200+, I cant use them.

But yeah ... put VirtualBox on your list for sure.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Jan 19, 2008 10:18 AM, Brian Chadwick <brianchad@westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > for the sake of a presentation i'm giving, i want to list all of the
> > options for emulation and virtualization under fedora. i won't be
> > explaining them all in horrendous detail (it's only an hour), but i at
> > least want to hit the high points, so i'm just trying to create a list
> > -- stuff like QEMU, VirtualBox, VMwarePlayer, JumpBox, KVM, Xen ...
> > and on and on.
> >
> > what's worth having on that list? after it's all over, i'll post a
> > summary (and perhaps a few simple recipes) to the wiki. thanks.
> >
> I havent used QEMU, though a lot of things are based around it. I used
> to use VMWare. Then I found VirtualBox. FOSS and easy to use. I give it
> full marks. Xen and KVM require (as far as i know) special CPU support,
> and as I have an old Athloin XP3200+, I cant use them.
>
> But yeah ... put VirtualBox on your list for sure.

Is VirtualBox superior to VMware Server?

Paul