Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM
"Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore)"

Default forwarding Syslog messages on localhost:514

Hello,

I have following problem with respect to syslogd on fedora13.

With the following configuration in the /etc/syslog.conf i should be able to receive all syslog messages on localhost:514 port.

*.* @localhost

I am not getting anything on localhost:514. However if additionally i give following in conf file.

*.* @localhost
*.* @remoteIP

In the I am receiving syslog messages on remoteIP:514 server. I tried to see straces and in strace it does not show any hint about sending data to localhost:514.

Is this the normal behavior of syslogd or I am missing something in configuration?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Gavin Spurgeon

On 08/18/2010 12:48 PM, Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have following problem with respect to syslogd on fedora13.
>
> With the following configuration in the /etc/syslog.conf i should be able to receive all syslog messages on localhost:514 port.
>
> *.* @localhost
>
> I am not getting anything on localhost:514. However if additionally i give following in conf file.
>
> *.* @localhost
> *.* @remoteIP
>
> In the I am receiving syslog messages on remoteIP:514 server. I tried to see straces and in strace it does not show any hint about sending data to localhost:514.
>
> Is this the normal behavior of syslogd or I am missing something in configuration?

Just a very quick suggestion, did you try:-

*.* @127.0.0.1

Or try :-

*.* @<IP ADDRESS OF THE MACHINE>

I'm not saying it *will* work, but just a very quick suggestion that may
be worth trying...

You may also need to add the "-r" option to syslogd's service config file...

Again, just a thought....

- --
Gavin Spurgeon.
gspurgeon@redhat.com
Red Hat GLS Instructor EMEA
Red Hat UK Ltd
64 Baker Street
4th Floor, London, W1U 7DF
Mob: +44 7841 231160
Desk: +44 0207 009 4429 (Direct)
Tel: +44 1252 362709
Fax: +44 1252 548116

Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Bill Davidsen

Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have following problem with respect to syslogd on fedora13.
>
> With the following configuration in the /etc/syslog.conf i should be able to receive all syslog messages on localhost:514 port.
>
> *.* @localhost
>
> I am not getting anything on localhost:514. However if additionally i give following in conf file.
>
> *.* @localhost
> *.* @remoteIP
>
> In the I am receiving syslog messages on remoteIP:514 server. I tried to see straces and in strace it does not show any hint about sending data to localhost:514.
>
> Is this the normal behavior of syslogd or I am missing something in configuration?

I don't have any idea what you are trying to do, but are you aware that you can
send syslog to a fifo (named pipe) and read from that?

My mail server pipes error messages to a fifo read by a perl program which plays
with iptables rules for evil incoming connections.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 AM
"Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore)"

@Bill,
I am running one more server which is processing the system messages. Server is being recompiled on fedora and I don't want to change the parsing and other logic just for fedora flavor of my server. Other wise using named pipe is good option.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 AM
"Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore)"

I have also tried to give an ip instead of localhost. What I observed is.

any IP configured on the machine doesn't work.
If I give IP which does not exist at all and after bringing up syslogd I create alias of any interface with the IP given will work.