Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default FC13 network install using local repos

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 19:12 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I'm trying to do an install from a network export of the install DVD and
> a repo created from /var/cache/yum which has every upgrade and install
> RPM I've ever pulled off the network. I tried putting the copy of
> /var/cache/yum in a subdirectory and running 'createrepo' (worked AFAIK)
> but I can't seem to export the correct thing to get the repo used. I
> thought the relative path was in the repodata subdir, but that doesn't
> seem to be getting used.

If it's any use, here's my /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo file:

name=Fedora Local Repo
failovermethod=priority
baseurl=file:///Repo
enabled=1

While /Repo contains:

$ ls /Repo
EFI isolinux repodata RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-13-SPARC RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc64
GPL media.repo RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386 RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64
images Packages RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-13-primary RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc TRANS.TBL

(It's just a copy of the distro DVD, so YMMV).

poc

Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 19:12 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I'm trying to do an install from a network export of the install DVD and
>> a repo created from /var/cache/yum which has every upgrade and install
>> RPM I've ever pulled off the network. I tried putting the copy of
>> /var/cache/yum in a subdirectory and running 'createrepo' (worked AFAIK)
>> but I can't seem to export the correct thing to get the repo used. I
>> thought the relative path was in the repodata subdir, but that doesn't
>> seem to be getting used.
>
> If it's any use, here's my /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo file:

Thanks, my problem is getting the cached RPMs to work. Let me try to explain a
bit more.

In the past, the /var/cache/yum had directories for repos, like 'updates,'
'rawhide,' and 'updates-testing.' Now the structure is pushed down and looks
like this.
/var/cache/yum
|-- i386
| `-- 12
| |-- adobe-linux-i386
| |-- fedora
| |-- fedora-debuginfo
| |-- installed
| |-- rawhide
| |-- rawhide-debuginfo

I can't seem to export that in a way that the network installer will use it when
I specify it as an additional repo. Note this was a handy example, I'm actually
using FC13, both 32 and 64 bit.

I don't know if the fault lies in the export or the createrepo, but it would
speed upgrades no end if I could do things this way.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 09:40 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > If it's any use, here's my /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo file:
> >
> Thanks, my problem is getting the cached RPMs to work.

Without going into the sordid details, this might be easier:

yum install yum-plugin-local

That will automatically cache all downloaded packages in a local repo,
which seems to be what you're trying to do.

poc

Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 09:40 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> If it's any use, here's my /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo file:
>>>
>> Thanks, my problem is getting the cached RPMs to work.
>
> Without going into the sordid details, this might be easier:
>
> yum install yum-plugin-local
>
> That will automatically cache all downloaded packages in a local repo,
> which seems to be what you're trying to do.

I think my first post was pretty clear, I have the packages, all install or
update RPMs since initial install. I want to export that as a repo so I don't
have to download them on every new machine. I have no trouble saving the
pacakges, or creating a repo, but at FC12 the format of /var/cache/yum changed,
and I need to find info on exporting the packages, since the process I used with
FC9 lo longer works.

I already have a local repo, created by setting keepcache, but there's no doc I
can find as to the trick in getting it *used*. Another way to create the local
repo doesn't solve the problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>