Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Default Wifi Monitor

Is there a Wifi Monitor in the Fedora Repo ?

Don't want any KDE Plasmoids , they suck .

Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM
JD

On 08/17/2010 09:25 AM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Is there a Wifi Monitor in the Fedora Repo ?
>
> Don't want any KDE Plasmoids , they suck .
Why kind of monitor are you looking for?

Some time ago, in an older version of kde, it used to be
bundled with kwifimanager which gave you a gui
showing the signal level vs. the noise level and some
very basic config.
It is no longer in the kde releases.

Currently, there is kwlan - I built it for F13, but it did not give me
what I wanted:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/26/dist/46/size/1267829/name/kwlan-0.6.3-3.1.src.rpm
or
http://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD/SRPMS/RPMS/kwlan-0.6.3-1.src.rpm

In eiher case, you will find that some macros in the spec file are not
supported by fedora's rpmbuild package.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 PM

binarynut@comcast.net writes:

> Is there a Wifi Monitor in the Fedora Repo ?

Good old gkrellm? There even is a gkrellm-wifi package available in Fedora.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 12:25 -0400, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Is there a Wifi Monitor in the Fedora Repo ?
>
> Don't want any KDE Plasmoids , they suck .

There used to be but I can't find it anymore.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net>

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Dick Roark

How about NetworkManager?* Works fine for me:* http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 AM
Genes MailLists

On 08/17/2010 10:19 PM, Dick Roark wrote:
> How about NetworkManager? Works fine for me:

Dont think it shows all the AP's and their MAC addresses, nor their
current quality etc - i dont even think it shows the mac for the AP
you're currently connected to - it certainly doesn't show you all the
available AP's for the same SSID.

It does work fairly well these days .. but still lacks some of the
info as above ... as far as I know.

gene

Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Bill Davidsen

Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 10:19 PM, Dick Roark wrote:
>> How about NetworkManager? Works fine for me:
>

> Dont think it shows all the AP's and their MAC addresses, nor their
> current quality etc - i dont even think it shows the mac for the AP
> you're currently connected to - it certainly doesn't show you all the
> available AP's for the same SSID.
>
> It does work fairly well these days .. but still lacks some of the
> info as above ... as far as I know.

I date back to the days when things were done by hand (and you had to build your
own kernel to get ipw2200) and used to use "iwlist scan" from command line.
There are options to do what you want.

And thank you for jogging my memory, that trick could well be useful under
Android as well.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>