Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM
JD

Default Sendmail on a LAN

I read the wiki for setting up and configuring sendmail
http://www.wikihow.com/Configure-Sendmail

Clearly, a full setup of DNS server for your domain
must be set up, per this wiki, along with mx records ...etc.

Does this prevent one from settiing up and using sendmail
on a LAN to send and receive email to/from the outside world?

The main router is set up to forward all necessary ports
(smtp, pop, pop3, ....etc) to the machine which would run
sendmail. The firewall on the machine is set up to allow
packets to/from these ports.

I understand that some things need to be set up so that sendmail
sends headers that use a routable IP address as the source of
the message. Is it possible to make sendmail use my router's
public IP address in the message headers? How?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Gregory Woodbury

*I read the wiki for setting up and configuring sendmail

http://www.wikihow.com/Configure-Sendmail

Clearly, a full setup of DNS server for your domain

must be set up, per this wiki, along with mx records ...etc.

Does this prevent one from settiing up and using sendmail

on a LAN to send and receive email to/from the outside world?

In a word, no.

Get a dyndns.com name for your router public ip address and set up at
dyndns to get mail delivered to that name.* Set your router to forward incoming SMTP

to the appropriate machine and go from there.
*

The main router is set up to forward all necessary ports

(smtp, pop, pop3, ....etc) to the machine which would run

sendmail. The firewall on the machine is set up to allow

packets to/from these ports.

I understand that some things need to *be set up so that sendmail

sends headers that use a routable IP address as the source of

the message. Is it possible to make sendmail use my router's

public IP address in the message headers? How?

Sendmail doesn't use IPs *per se* but using the name you get is necessary.
For example (some names changed to protect the guilty):

my machine "masquerades" as wolves.durham.nc.us with the MX for that domain

pointing to my router's name via dyndns.com. The router port forwards 25 to the
appropriate machine and the conversations carry on as usual.

Outgoing, I have sendmail using gmail as my smart host, with appropriate

authconfig settings for my gmail account.

The key is to "MASQUERADE AS" in the sendmail.mc file.
* * * * MASQUERADE_AS(`wolves.example.net')dnl

******* FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
This tells sendmail to use the name you want.

Hope this Helps
--
G.Wolfe Woodbury