Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 AM
"Mick M."

Default OT: soundcard Oscilloscope.

Hi;
I am trying to get a soundcard software scope to work in F13.
So far no luck, dependency hell or missing libraries.

I found some windows based ones.
I have XP in Virtualbox, but it cannot talk to the sound card.

I will be getting a DSO Nano soon, so this is a temporary fix.
This is a FOSS device from Dangerous Prototypes and Seeed Studios.

So if you have managed to get one working - please share.

Mick M

Standard guarantee applies - 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.

# find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} ;

Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 08/16/2010 10:55 AM, Mick M. wrote:
> Hi;
> I am trying to get a soundcard software scope to work in F13.
> So far no luck, dependency hell or missing libraries.
>
> I found some windows based ones.
> I have XP in Virtualbox, but it cannot talk to the sound card.
>
> I will be getting a DSO Nano soon, so this is a temporary fix.
> This is a FOSS device from Dangerous Prototypes and Seeed Studios.
>
> So if you have managed to get one working - please share.
>
> Mick M

There's xoscope:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xoscope/

Not the prettiest but builds and runs on recent distributions (not
packaged in Fedora afaik).

And FFTExplorer:

http://www.arachnoid.com/FFTExplorer/

Which is going to be less familiar if you're looking for something that
acts like a traditional analog scope but has some neat features for
looking at the spectral components of a signal. Java app but seems to
run fine on OpenJDK.

There's a few other projects out there that I've never played with:

Osquoop:
http://gitorious.org/osqoop

glScope:
http://luke.no-ip.org/code/

QOscC:
http://flup.homelinux.org/qoscc.html

If you are used to Velleman scopes (and maybe have one at home..
there's also QtDSO an interface for the PCS64i series of digital scopes.
No idea if it's in any way useful without the hardware:

http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdso.html

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
"Mick M."

> From: Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@redhat.com>
>
> There's xoscope:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xoscope/
>
> Not the prettiest but builds and runs on recent
> distributions (not
> packaged in Fedora afaik).

Hi Bryn;
thanks for the email.
I tried then all, no luck.
The closest was xscope, it ./configured but would not make.

Mick M.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Larry Brower

Mick M. wrote:

> Hi Bryn;
> thanks for the email.
> I tried then all, no luck.
> The closest was xscope, it ./configured but would not make.
>
> Mick M.

What were the errors when attempting to build it ?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Rick Stevens

On 08/16/2010 04:37 PM, Larry Brower wrote:
> Mick M. wrote:
>
>> Hi Bryn;
>> thanks for the email.
>> I tried then all, no luck.
>> The closest was xscope, it ./configured but would not make.

xscope is NOT xoscope.

> What were the errors when attempting to build it ?

Latest release is over a year old (June 2009), so it's bound to be
a bit out of date.

I just tried to build it and there are a number of references to
deprecated GTK calls such as "GTK_WIDGET_VISIBLE" and
"GTK_WIDGET_STATE" (all deprecated since GTK V2.2). These can be
gotten around by running "./configure", then editing

~/xoscope-2.0/gtkdatabox-0.6.0.0/gtk/Makefile

and deleting the "-DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED" line in that file. Then
run "make" and it'll build.

It's a bit odd to specifically disallow the use of the deprecations in
the Makefile, but require them in the code.

Ah, well.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 AM

On 08/16/2010 09:55 AM, Mick M. wrote:
> Hi;
> I am trying to get a soundcard software scope to work in F13.
> So far no luck, dependency hell or missing libraries.

being that sourceforge link did not help you;

this is what i have in my bookmarks under

'computer / test & measurement / xoscope'.

00.search: oscope "soundcard"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=oscope&as_epq=soundcard&as_oq=&a s_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch= &as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_ nhi=&safe=images&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dlinux=

00.search: oscope "usb"
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&site=linux&res trict=linux&output=linux&q=oscope+%22usb%22&btnG=S earch

00.search: xoscope "soundcard"
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&site=linux&res trict=linux&output=linux&q=xoscope+%22soundcard%22 &btnG=Search

00.search: xoscope "usb"
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&site=linux&res trict=linux&output=linux&q=xoscope+%22usb%22&btnG= Search

BITSCOPE = PC OSCILLOSCOPES AND ANALYZERS
http://www.bitscope.com/

FFTExplorer
http://www.arachnoid.com/FFTExplorer/

flup.homelinux.org: QoscC
http://flup.homelinux.org/qoscc.html

Luke Campagnola - Code
http://luke.no-ip.org/code/

oscilloscope soundcard Download
http://software.informer.com/getfree-linux-oscilloscope-soundcard/

Osqoop - Gitorious
http://gitorious.org/osqoop

i do not recall exactly what is in google searches, other than 'name',
but above links came, i believe from 'xoscope - soundcard'.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
**
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
"Mick M."

> From: Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com>
> xscope is NOT xoscope.
typo

> > I just tried to build it and there are a number of
> references to
> deprecated GTK calls such as "GTK_WIDGET_VISIBLE" and
> "GTK_WIDGET_STATE" (all deprecated since GTK V2.2).*
> These can be
> gotten around by running "./configure", then editing
>
> ***
> ~/xoscope-2.0/gtkdatabox-0.6.0.0/gtk/Makefile
>
> and deleting the "-DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED" line in that
> file.* Then
> run "make" and it'll build.

Yes - that is the make error that I ran into.
When you run it you have 3 choices for input:
File -> device->SoundCard, ProbeScope and BitScope.

Soundcard gives 'opening /dev/dsp "no such file or directory"'

/dev is totally different now, there is no /dev/dsp.
There is a /dev/snd directory, with no obvious correlation to /dev/dsp.

Mick M

Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 08/17/2010 12:36 PM, Mick M. wrote:
>> From: Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com>
>> xscope is NOT xoscope.
> typo
>
>>> I just tried to build it and there are a number of
>> references to
>> deprecated GTK calls such as "GTK_WIDGET_VISIBLE" and
>> "GTK_WIDGET_STATE" (all deprecated since GTK V2.2).
>> These can be
>> gotten around by running "./configure", then editing
>>

>> ~/xoscope-2.0/gtkdatabox-0.6.0.0/gtk/Makefile
>>
>> and deleting the "-DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED" line in that
>> file. Then
>> run "make" and it'll build.
>>

> Yes - that is the make error that I ran into.
> When you run it you have 3 choices for input:
> File -> device->SoundCard, ProbeScope and BitScope.
>
> Soundcard gives 'opening /dev/dsp "no such file or directory"'
>
> /dev is totally different now, there is no /dev/dsp.
> There is a /dev/snd directory, with no obvious correlation to /dev/dsp.

Make sure you have pulseaudio-utils installed and run it with the padsp
wrapper to intercept access to the soundcard:

$ padsp /path/to/xoscope

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
"Mick M."

> Make sure you have pulseaudio-utils installed and run it
> with the padsp wrapper to intercept access to the soundcard:

yum says itis the latest

> $ padsp /path/to/xoscope

> Regards,
> Bryn.

[mick@localhost xoscope-2.0]$ padsp ./xoscope
No valid data sources found... exiting

(xoscope:15952): GLib-WARNING **: giounix.c:406Error while getting flags for FD: Bad file descriptor (9)

I also tried sudo padsp ./xoscope

With the same result.
Thanks for trying Bryn.

I went ahead and ordered the DSO Nano.