Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Donald Reader

Default FC8 Bluetooth/hcid initialization at boot

Howdy All

I have upgraded to FC8 to help solve some bluetooth issues
that I posted about earlier. But now I seem to have a few
issues with the start up of hcid at boot/reboot

1) For some reason the scanning modes are not activating
properly which is causing other issues I believe.
Although an easy work around is to just issue an
hciconfig hci0 reset command and they show up.
I am not sure if this is proper behavior or if it
happens to be a bug in which case I have not idea
how to report it LOL.
Now while investigating this issue I also noticed this

2) hcid is not finding a file called /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
I have googled and tried every other avenue I know of
to try and figure out if this is a missing file or if
I need to create it myself. I have been able to figure
out the functionality of the file but not how to do
any editing of it or what the structure of the file is.
3) Can't read class of device on hci0: Input/output error
Not sure this the real culprit of the issues or not.
but the log reads like this.
Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Can't read class of device on hci0:
Input/output error (5)
Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Getting name failed with status 0x0c
Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Can't read class of device on hci0:
Input/output error (5)
Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Getting scan enable failed with status
0x0c

Anyway I have included a txt file with log entries and some hciconfig
output along with the hcid.conf and rfcomm.conf file contents in it for
anyone to look at if they want to. I have kept the text file short as
possible by putting only the most pertinent info in it.

Once I do a hciconfig reset I do get sound out of my headset although
I still have an issue with the mic and audio capturing. From what I
have read online bluez has come up with an update in 3.24 so guess I
need to wait till fedora releases that update to actually use my
headset with skype but am getting closer.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Donald Reader

Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Donald Reader

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 19:22 -0800, Donald Reader wrote:
> Howdy All
>
> I have upgraded to FC8 to help solve some bluetooth issues
> that I posted about earlier. But now I seem to have a few
> issues with the start up of hcid at boot/reboot
>
> 1) For some reason the scanning modes are not activating
> properly which is causing other issues I believe.
> Although an easy work around is to just issue an
> hciconfig hci0 reset command and they show up.
> I am not sure if this is proper behavior or if it
> happens to be a bug in which case I have not idea
> how to report it LOL.
> Now while investigating this issue I also noticed this
>
> 2) hcid is not finding a file called /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
> I have googled and tried every other avenue I know of
> to try and figure out if this is a missing file or if
> I need to create it myself. I have been able to figure
> out the functionality of the file but not how to do
> any editing of it or what the structure of the file is.
> 3) Can't read class of device on hci0: Input/output error
> Not sure this the real culprit of the issues or not.
> but the log reads like this.
> Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Can't read class of device on hci0:
> Input/output error (5)
> Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Getting name failed with status 0x0c
> Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Can't read class of device on hci0:
> Input/output error (5)
> Jan 18 13:17:08 dads hcid[2124]: Getting scan enable failed with status
> 0x0c
>
> Anyway I have included a txt file with log entries and some hciconfig
> output along with the hcid.conf and rfcomm.conf file contents in it for
> anyone to look at if they want to. I have kept the text file short as
> possible by putting only the most pertinent info in it.
>
> Once I do a hciconfig reset I do get sound out of my headset although
> I still have an issue with the mic and audio capturing. From what I
> have read online bluez has come up with an update in 3.24 so guess I
> need to wait till fedora releases that update to actually use my
> headset with skype but am getting closer.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Donald Reader

Solved issue 1 by adding "options hci_usb reset=1" to /etc/modprobe.conf
at least now the scans activate.

Solved issue 2 by downloading the source and findind the audio.conf file
then just copying it over to the /etc/bluetooth directory

Solving those issues seems to have cleared up issue 3.

at one point I even had audio capturing working on my BT headset and
skype. although after a reboot I lost that.
Guessing I just have to wait for the 3.24 version and update as I
have heard that the the bluez project has addressed the issue of
audio capture.

I must thank everyone that has helped in resolving these issues

Donald Reader