Old 08-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Upcoming Fedora 14 Linux Release

> May I know whether the upcoming F14 release will include support for Xen
> pv-ops Dom0 kernel?

You can check the fedora 14 feature list at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/FeatureList

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:07:47 +0800
"Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) of Singapore"
<space.time.universe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> May I know whether the upcoming F14 release will include support for
> Xen pv-ops Dom0 kernel?
>
> Thank you very much.

No, I don't think so.

There is an experemental dom0 kernel available however from:
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/myoung/dom0-kernel/

There's a feature:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0
which is NOT in f14.

You may want to mail myoung@fedoraproject.org directly for more
details.

kevin

Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
M A Young

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) of Singapore wrote:

> May I know whether the upcoming F14 release will include support for Xen
> pv-ops Dom0 kernel?

No. The Fedora policy isn't to include dom0 support until it makes it into
the upstream kernel. Some pieces have made it into 2.6.36 pre-rc but more
are required before dom0 will work. It might be in f15 if 2.6.37 is out in
time and if dom0 support is in it, though f16 or later is more likely.

Note that in the f14 and rawhide xen package xm and possibly xend
are currently broken due to python 2.6->2.7 changes in xmlrpc.

Michael Young

Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 AM
"Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) of Singapore"

Dear Tom Horsley,

Thank you for your information.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Citizenship: Singapore Citizen/Singaporean
Facebook account:http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000750083982
Location: Bedok Reservoir Road, Singapore 470103
My Open Letter (Plea for Medical Help/Assistance) to World Leaders:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-August/380213.html

Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Kevin Kofler

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) of Singapore wrote:
> I will stick to Fedora 11 at the moment until Fedora 16 or later.

Uh, Fedora 11 is not supported anymore and it also never had a Xen Dom0
kernel, pvops or otherwise. The last Fedora release to ship a Xen Dom0
kernel was Fedora 8, and that was from the old Xen codebase which was
rejected upstream. The Fedora kernel team stopped shipping the classic Xen
at that point because they didn't want to spend their time porting non-
upstream patchsets to the current upstream kernel (and in fact F8's kernel-
xen lagged significantly behind the main kernel). Xen pvops DomU support was
ready for F9, but Dom0 support is taking its time to get upstreamed (and the
Fedora kernel team does not want to use non-upstream patchsets for the same
reasons they stopped shipping classic Xen). So I'd suggest to use a
currently supported Fedora release (12 or 13) with the unofficial Dom0
kernel RPMs out there (built for F12, I don't know if they work on F13).

Kevin Kofler

Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 PM
M A Young

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> So I'd suggest to use a
> currently supported Fedora release (12 or 13) with the unofficial Dom0
> kernel RPMs out there (built for F12, I don't know if they work on F13).

The kernel seems to work okay on F13 and even F14, though I haven't tested
it extensively.

Michael Young

Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Bill Davidsen

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) of Singapore wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> May I know whether the upcoming F14 release will include support for Xen
> pv-ops Dom0 kernel?

If the F14 release contains 2.6.36 or later it will have the features recently
added for dom0. See the LKML for details, I saw the announcement this morning
that dom0 was going in mainline (to some extent, at least).

I really would like a xen option, but there are a lot of alternate kernels with
xen, see the xen mailing list.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>