Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default why is beta 2 so much smaller?

slightly off-topic but i don't have the heart to subscribe to yet
another mailing list -- i want to download the latest beta (2?) of
RHEL 6, and i've ended up here:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/6Server-beta2/x86_64/iso/

where i can see the two ISO images:

RHEL6.0-20100622.1-Server-x86_64-DVD1.iso 3.9GB
RHEL6.0-20100715.2-Server-x86_64-DVD1.iso 3.2GB

based on the datestamps in the filenames, i would think that second
ISO is the latest x86_64 image, but it looks odd that it's
significantly smaller than the earlier one. or am i misinterpreting
what i'm looking at? thanks.

rday

p.s. the above is for the server version. over at the workstation
version:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/6Workstation-beta2/x86_64/iso/

things look more reasonable. or at least what i might have expected.

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/15/2010 07:52 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> slightly off-topic but i don't have the heart to subscribe to yet
> another mailing list -- i want to download the latest beta (2?) of
> RHEL 6, and i've ended up here:

While you may be adverse to subscribing to another mailing list...if you
plan to install and test RHELv6-Beta then you should reconsider. Not
only is the list specific to that version and its problems the list is
inhabited by folks not necessarily on this list and some of them are the
actual RH folks working on the project.

I don't know about you....but I would feel more comfortable with answers
on that list than answers on this list when it comes to RHELv6-Beta.... :-)

--
Mistrust first impulses; they are always right. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八
德路四段

Old 08-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Andy Blanchard

On 15 August 2010 11:52, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *based on the datestamps in the filenames, i would think that second
> ISO is the latest x86_64 image, but it looks odd that it's
> significantly smaller than the earlier one. *or am i misinterpreting
> what i'm looking at? *thanks.

Fedora is switching to LZMA compression for RPM files which offers
better compression that the current format (BZ2, IIRC). I'd guess
that Red Hat has just moved some or all of the RPMs in RHEL over to
the new format.

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Robert P. J. Day writes:

> slightly off-topic but i don't have the heart to subscribe to yet
> another mailing list -- i want to download the latest beta (2?) of
> RHEL 6, and i've ended up here:
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/6Server-beta2/x86_64/iso/
>
> where i can see the two ISO images:
>
> RHEL6.0-20100622.1-Server-x86_64-DVD1.iso 3.9GB
> RHEL6.0-20100715.2-Server-x86_64-DVD1.iso 3.2GB
>
> based on the datestamps in the filenames, i would think that second
> ISO is the latest x86_64 image, but it looks odd that it's
> significantly smaller than the earlier one. or am i misinterpreting
> what i'm looking at? thanks.

Curious case indeed. Although it's a bit offtopic for this list, feel free
to reply with your findings :-)

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Bill Davidsen

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/15/2010 07:52 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> slightly off-topic but i don't have the heart to subscribe to yet
>> another mailing list -- i want to download the latest beta (2?) of
>> RHEL 6, and i've ended up here:
>
> While you may be adverse to subscribing to another mailing list...if you
> plan to install and test RHELv6-Beta then you should reconsider. Not
> only is the list specific to that version and its problems the list is
> inhabited by folks not necessarily on this list and some of them are the
> actual RH folks working on the project.
>
> I don't know about you....but I would feel more comfortable with answers
> on that list than answers on this list when it comes to RHELv6-Beta.... :-)

I see an RHEL5 list, where do you find the beta list?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>