Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default KMail mailing list

I'm using the current (4.4.5) KMail under Fedora-13.
There is an option Messages=>New Message to Mailing-List ,
but as far as I can see, no way to set up a mailing list?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 13:06 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm using the current (4.4.5) KMail under Fedora-13.
> There is an option Messages=>New Message to Mailing-List ,
> but as far as I can see, no way to set up a mailing list?

I don't use it, but see if this gets you started:
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdepim/kmail/faq.html#id2571704

It would appear that you need to set up a folder as belonging to a
mailing list (e.g. the fedora user list), then that menu item does
something special when you're inside it. I'd see what options you can
set for your message folders.

Are you thinking that it would send a post to a list of addresses in
your address book?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Timothy Murphy

Tim wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 13:06 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I'm using the current (4.4.5) KMail under Fedora-13.
>> There is an option Messages=>New Message to Mailing-List ,
>> but as far as I can see, no way to set up a mailing list?
>
> I don't use it, but see if this gets you started:
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdepim/kmail/faq.html#id2571704

Thanks for your response.
But I think maybe I was using the wrong term when I spoke
of a mailing list.

> Are you thinking that it would send a post to a list of addresses in
> your address book?

Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking of.
I think the term is used in KMail/Message to refer to
an external mailing list like the fedora user list, as you say [below].

> It would appear that you need to set up a folder as belonging to a
> mailing list (e.g. the fedora user list), then that menu item does
> something special when you're inside it. I'd see what options you can
> set for your message folders.

I think what I am looking for belongs to KAddressBook.
I've actually done this before on another laptop
(I'm currently away from home, and using my second-best laptop).
I set up a distribution list,
and could add contacts to it.
Then I could send email to the list -
the email addresses were just concatenated in the To: header.

But either I've forgotten how to do this,
or the facility has been removed from the current KAddressBook.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> Are you thinking that it would send a post to a list of addresses in
>> your address book?
>
> Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking of.
> I think the term is used in KMail/Message to refer to
> an external mailing list like the fedora user list, as you say [below].
>
>> It would appear that you need to set up a folder as belonging to a
>> mailing list (e.g. the fedora user list), then that menu item does
>> something special when you're inside it. I'd see what options you can
>> set for your message folders.
>
> I think what I am looking for belongs to KAddressBook.
> I've actually done this before on another laptop
> (I'm currently away from home, and using my second-best laptop).
> I set up a distribution list,
> and could add contacts to it.
> Then I could send email to the list -
> the email addresses were just concatenated in the To: header.
>
> But either I've forgotten how to do this,
> or the facility has been removed from the current KAddressBook.

I see now that I had indeed forgotten how to do this.
Inside KAddressBook one creates a new Group,
by going to File=>New=>New Group
giving the Group a name, say Foo, and clicking on OK.
Now Foo appears as an entry in the contacts list (under Name),
with a different icon to normal entries.

Double clicking on Foo opens a small window,
and one can add entries in this window.
The procedure is slightly non-intuitive, to my mind.
There is a blank entry which it is easy to miss.
One enters part of a name, say "B", here
and the contacts in the contact list starting with "B"
are listed.
You highlight the correct name, and click on OK,
and the contact is added to the group.

A new blank entry appears under this entry.
One clicks on this and fills it in similarly,
and in this way builds up the Group.
Finally one clicks on OK,
the window closes and the group with its entries
appears on the right-hand-side.

Now one can send email to those in the group
by giving the name Foo under To: in New Message.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 16:16 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I think the term is used in KMail/Message to refer to
> an external mailing list like the fedora user list, as you say
> [below].

Indeed. I presume Kmail can use the List-* headers to post messages to
mailing lists, same as Evolution and other MUAs. Nothing to do with
contact lists which is what you're looking for.

poc

Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 10:32 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I presume Kmail can use the List-* headers to post messages to
> mailing lists, same as Evolution and other MUAs.

That options is always greyed out on my Evolution, on any list mail that
I've tried it with (this list, and several others).

Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 02:10 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 10:32 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I presume Kmail can use the List-* headers to post messages to
> > mailing lists, same as Evolution and other MUAs.
>
> That options is always greyed out on my Evolution, on any list mail that
> I've tried it with (this list, and several others).

Whereas I use it all the time in Evolution, e.g. to post this message.
Take a look at the message source and make sure the List-* headers are
present. If Kmail doesn't recognize them, it sounds like a bug.

poc