Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere

On 08/22/2010 02:12 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 08/20/2010 09:39 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> It looks like sa-milt is getting a-hold of the message first, and
>> marking it as [SPAM] with a score of 6.2. Then it looks like its
>> getting run again????
>
> Yeah, I'm not terribly sure. Honestly, I haven't run Sendmail on a mail
> server in close to a decade. I use Courier and pythonfilter (actually,
> I wrote pythonfilter) these days. After looking through this milter
> stuff, I'm really glad that I do. Courier and pythonfilter are far simpler.

I've been using sendmail since long before there was milter support for
it. Once in a while it drives me nuts, but, its familiar to me.
OTOH, configuring these milters correctly is like shooting in the dark. B^)

> I installed the spamass-milter package from EPEL, assuming that's what
> you use, to look at it more closely. As far as I can tell, the milter
> is running before Sendmail adds its Received: header, which means that
> you can't use whitelist_from_rcvd (or at least, that it's not effective
> early on). Furthermore, I'm not sure if spamc is being run a second
> time because the milter is called again after alias expansion, or if
> you're simply calling spamc from your procmailrc.

Hmmm, yes, /etc/procmailrc runs it through spamc ....

> spamass-milter has an option to exclude IP ranges from filtering.
> You'll probably want to configure that *in addition to* the rules you've
> already set up. You should be adding those options in
> /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter.

OK, I'll play with the -i flag a bit. Thanks.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 08/22/2010 01:49 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Hmmm, yes, /etc/procmailrc runs it through spamc ....

If that's the case, then the milter only really needs to reject messages
with a suitably high score. You should probably also configure it not
to modify the body or headers.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 08/23/2010 12:17 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 08/22/2010 01:49 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, yes, /etc/procmailrc runs it through spamc ....
>
> If that's the case, then the milter only really needs to reject messages
> with a suitably high score. You should probably also configure it not
> to modify the body or headers.

It currently rejects any message with a score of 10 or greater (the
package default was 15 or greater). I guess I should put the -m flag
back as well.

BTW, these changes seem to have worked, I'm getting all my hour messages
again.

Thanks for your suggestions. If nothing else, they are causing me to
read and re-read the man pages for these commands looking at the command
line options again and again. B^)