Old 08-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Greg Woods

Default Evolution: get rid of Junk buttons?

Is there any way to remove the Junk/Not Junk buttons from the top panel
in Evolution? I do not use these filters (I have others) and since the
junk button is right next to the delete button, I am forever hitting the
wrong one, then I have to go to the junk folder, unjunk the message,
remember which folder it would have gone back to, go back to that
folderk, THEN finally delete it. It is a colossal pain and I would just
like to remove the button that causes nothing but grief (for me).

--Greg

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 12:20 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> Is there any way to remove the Junk/Not Junk buttons from the top panel
> in Evolution? I do not use these filters (I have others) and since the
> junk button is right next to the delete button, I am forever hitting the
> wrong one, then I have to go to the junk folder, unjunk the message,
> remember which folder it would have gone back to, go back to that
> folderk, THEN finally delete it. It is a colossal pain and I would just
> like to remove the button that causes nothing but grief (for me).

Did you try a Google search? customize Evolution toolbar

It found this, from a link at the top of the list:

---------------- begin paste ------------------

I found a file /usr/share/evolution/2.22/ui/evolution-mail-message.xml.
At the bottom there is a section
Code:
<dockitem name="Toolbar">
<!-- ... toolbar buttons ... -->
</dockitem>
I manually added the button there (after making a backup of the original
file, of course). Unfortunately, Evolution does not load the icon,
although there is an icon of the needed size
in /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/actions.

But still, thank you. At least, one is able to remove buttons, without
any issues, this way.

----------------= end paste ------------------

If your version doesn't have that particular file, have a poke around
for other likely XML files.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 12:20 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> Is there any way to remove the Junk/Not Junk buttons from the top
> panel

I'll make that easier for you. Become the root user,

cd /usr/share/evolution/*/ui

You're going to modify this file, evolution-mail-message.xml, you might
want to back it up, but there's no real need with such a simple
modification.

Open it up in a text editor, and scroll down to the bottom of the file,
then scroll back up about four items, you'll find these entries:

<toolitem name="MessageMarkAsJunk" verb=""
_label="Junk"
pixtype="pixbuf"/>
<toolitem name="MessageMarkAsNotJunk" verb=""
_label="Not Junk"
pixtype="pixbuf"/>

Those are for the toolbar. If you look through the whole file, you'll
find other "junk" entries for the menus, and hotkeys.

Put a <!-- and --> XML comment markers around those items, so that
they're ignored comments, rather than parsed XML content. Thus:

<!--
<toolitem name="MessageMarkAsJunk" verb=""
_label="Junk"
pixtype="pixbuf"/>
<toolitem name="MessageMarkAsNotJunk" verb=""
_label="Not Junk"
pixtype="pixbuf"/>

-->

And when you next start up Evolution, those buttons will be gone.

For the more adventurous, perhaps you can add some buttons for some
functions that you keep on using. In the back of my mind I can hear
some list members muttering, "add to kill file, add to kill file."

Old 08-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 21:38 +0930, Tim wrote:
> And when you next start up Evolution, those buttons will be gone.

But you get to repeat the entire process every time you update
Evolution. Despite requests dating back many years, there's still no
per-user interface customization in Evo.

poc

Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 09:49 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> But you get to repeat the entire process every time you update
> Evolution. Despite requests dating back many years, there's still no
> per-user interface customization in Evo.

Yeah, annoying... And one of the reasons I don't do too much
customisation, and avoid KDE (the defaults always sucked, and it takes
ages to get it to a point that it doesn't seriously annoy me). Though,
shouldn't this, also, be one of those files that gets the .rpmsave
treatment?

Funny how almost anything requested as a change to Evolution is made
years and years ago...

Old 08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Genes MailLists

On 08/15/2010 08:08 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 12:20 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
>> Is there any way to remove the Junk/Not Junk buttons from the top
>> panel
>
> I'll make that easier for you. Become the root user,
>
> cd /usr/share/evolution/*/ui

Be better if prefs (gui or otherwise) were per usernot system wide.
What if some users want it and others dont.

Even system wide should distinguish local preferences from default prefs.

Is there really no clean way to configure these kind of per user
preferences ?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 02:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 09:49 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > But you get to repeat the entire process every time you update
> > Evolution. Despite requests dating back many years, there's still no
> > per-user interface customization in Evo.
>
> Yeah, annoying... And one of the reasons I don't do too much
> customisation, and avoid KDE (the defaults always sucked, and it takes
> ages to get it to a point that it doesn't seriously annoy me). Though,
> shouldn't this, also, be one of those files that gets the .rpmsave
> treatment?
>
> Funny how almost anything requested as a change to Evolution is made
> years and years ago...
----
actually, Evolution is GNOME through and through and I've always felt
the opposite - that KDE's defaults are generally quite good and
customization was rather simple to accomplish and GNOME (and associated
GNOME apps) was annoying to customize.

That said, I have the same issues with Evolution as the OP and never was
bothered enough to figure out how to customize and will do so now (and
save a copy for the inevitable moment when Evolution updates and wipes
out my changes.

FTR - KDE 4 is quite a different beast from earlier versions as it was a
complete re-write.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Greg Woods

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 21:11 +0930, Tim wrote:

> Did you try a Google search? customize Evolution toolbar

I always try to find it myself first, but I'm not the greatest Googler.
In this case I did not know that was called the 'toolbar' so I didn't
know exactly what to look for.

I did modify /usr/share/evolution/2.28/ui/evolution-mail-message.xml and
comment out the definitions of the Junk and NotJunk buttons, and it
worked like a champ. I did save a copy of my changed file since it is
likely that the next update will override my changes.

Since I am the only user on my desktop systems, it should be no problem
just changing it system wide.

Thanks for the help!

--Greg

Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 02:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 09:49 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > But you get to repeat the entire process every time you update
> > Evolution. Despite requests dating back many years, there's still no
> > per-user interface customization in Evo.
>
> Yeah, annoying... And one of the reasons I don't do too much
> customisation, and avoid KDE (the defaults always sucked, and it takes
> ages to get it to a point that it doesn't seriously annoy me). Though,
> shouldn't this, also, be one of those files that gets the .rpmsave
> treatment?

If the change were system-wide, then conceivably yes. Per-user changes,
not so much.

Actually all Evo needs to do is include a hook to read a per-user config
XML file while starting up. Doesn't sound hard, but for some reason
no-one has got round to implementing it. If so, it might be case of the
best being enemy of the good, i.e. "it's too much work to implement
config dialogues for the UI, and making the user edit XML files doesn't
conform to the HIG standards, so tough luck". I'm speculating of course.

> Funny how almost anything requested as a change to Evolution is made
> years and years ago...

The operative word is "almost". Once in a while a good idea gets
through.

poc

Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 09:44 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> actually, Evolution is GNOME through and through

I know. I was making the point about customising. I hadn't bothered
customising Evolution, because I dislike having to tweak the wazoo out
of each new installation. Be that half a dozen applications, or lots
and lots of desktop of options (such as with KDE).

> I've always felt the opposite - that KDE's defaults are generally
> quite good and customization was rather simple to accomplish and GNOME
> (and associated GNOME apps) was annoying to customize.

I've usually found the Gnome defaults to be reasonably good, with the
exception of the fonts all being a bit too big. Leaving me with very
few things to tweak on a Gnome desktop (replace the background, set the
fonts, and maybe the screen resolution if the system picks an oddball
one from the available choices).

KDE, on the other hand, has a gazillion and one things to fiddle with,
and I dislike many of the defaults. KDE sits up there with Windows,
with endless faffing around with the desktop, rather than actually
making use of the computer to do work.

> That said, I have the same issues with Evolution as the OP and never
> was bothered enough to figure out how to customize and will do so now
> (and save a copy for the inevitable moment when Evolution updates and
> wipes out my changes.

Me too, but I had one of those moments, and decided to fiddle around.