Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Marvin Kosmal

Default Desktop problem

Hi

I am using Fedora 12 and something happen to the desk top

I no longer have the icons in the upper left corner of my desk top.

I had a firefox crash a couple days ago. I wonder if the two are connected..

Anyway, is there an easy way to get the menu back?

Firefox had its own icon so I can still do email.

I guess I could revert back to an earlier kernel and see if everything
is OK there?

TIA

Marvin

Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Marvin Kosmal

HI

One more thing..

I had just installed Google Earth before I developed this problem.

TIA

Marvin

Old 08-14-2010, 03:39 PM

On 08/14/2010 11:22 AM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using Fedora 12 and something happen to the desk top
>
> I no longer have the icons in the upper left corner of my desk top.
>
> I had a firefox crash a couple days ago. I wonder if the two are connected..
>
> Anyway, is there an easy way to get the menu back?
>
> Firefox had its own icon so I can still do email.
>
> I guess I could revert back to an earlier kernel and see if everything
> is OK there?
>
> TIA
>
> Marvin
It sounds like your using KDE-4.

Start over with your desktop by deleting .kde and logout than log back
in and reform your desktop.

When reforming your KDE Panel put the Task manager on first, System
Tray, Digital Clock, Notifier and so on,
and in that sequence.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Marvin Kosmal

Hi

Using default install..

Gnome desktop

Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Thomas Cameron

I have a shell script I use to "reset" my default desktop environment.
It keeps my important stuff like my ~/.ssh directory, mail directories
and so on. To use it, I log out of GNOME, run it, and log back in.

[tcameron@case ~]$ cat ~/bin/cleardots
#!/bin/bash
ls -ad .* | egrep -v
"bash|elluminate|evolution|gnupg|mozilla|pan2|proc mail|purple|rpmmacros|sig|ssh|skype|thunderbird|vp ngui"|xargs
rm -rf

Hope this makes sense to you. It resets my desktop back to defaults
while keeping my important dot files.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:55 AM
JD

On 08/14/2010 06:42 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> I have a shell script I use to "reset" my default desktop environment.
> It keeps my important stuff like my ~/.ssh directory, mail directories
> and so on. To use it, I log out of GNOME, run it, and log back in.
>
> [tcameron@case ~]$ cat ~/bin/cleardots
> #!/bin/bash
> ls -ad .* | egrep -v
> "bash|elluminate|evolution|gnupg|mozilla|pan2|proc mail|purple|rpmmacros|sig|ssh|skype|thunderbird|vp ngui"|xargs
> rm -rf
>
> Hope this makes sense to you. It resets my desktop back to defaults
> while keeping my important dot files.
>
> On 08/14/2010 12:56 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Using default install..
>>
>> Gnome desktop
>>
>> Thanks

>>> It sounds like your using KDE-4.
>>>
>>> Start over with your desktop by deleting .kde and logout than log back
>>> in and reform your desktop.
>>>
>>> When reforming your KDE Panel put the Task manager on first, System
>>> Tray, Digital Clock, Notifier and so on,
>>> and in that sequence.
>>> --

You must know that
.* matches
the directory .
and the directory ..

To wit:

$ echo .*
. .. .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl

Notice . and .. ???

If you want to pick up onlythe dot files, then use
.[a-zA-Z]*

$ echo .[a-zA-Z]*
.AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
I have a bazillion dot files in my home dir. I only copied and pasted a few.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Thomas Cameron

On 08/14/2010 08:55 PM, JD wrote:
> You must know that
> .* matches
> the directory .
> and the directory ..
>
> To wit:
>
> $ echo .*
> . .. .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
>
> Notice . and .. ???

Yup, and they are unaffected using this script.

> If you want to pick up onlythe dot files, then use
> .[a-zA-Z]*
>
> $ echo .[a-zA-Z]*
> .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
> I have a bazillion dot files in my home dir. I only copied and pasted a few.

Totally unnecessary, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

TC

Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Thomas Cameron

On 08/14/2010 08:55 PM, JD wrote:
> On 08/14/2010 06:42 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>> I have a shell script I use to "reset" my default desktop environment.
>> It keeps my important stuff like my ~/.ssh directory, mail directories
>> and so on. To use it, I log out of GNOME, run it, and log back in.
>>
>> [tcameron@case ~]$ cat ~/bin/cleardots
>> #!/bin/bash
>> ls -ad .* | egrep -v
>> "bash|elluminate|evolution|gnupg|mozilla|pan2|proc mail|purple|rpmmacros|sig|ssh|skype|thunderbird|vp ngui"|xargs
>> rm -rf
>>
>> Hope this makes sense to you. It resets my desktop back to defaults
>> while keeping my important dot files.
>>
>> On 08/14/2010 12:56 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Using default install..
>>>
>>> Gnome desktop
>>>
>>> Thanks

> You must know that
> .* matches
> the directory .
> and the directory ..
>
> To wit:
>
> $ echo .*
> . .. .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
>
> Notice . and .. ???
>
> If you want to pick up onlythe dot files, then use
> .[a-zA-Z]*
>
> $ echo .[a-zA-Z]*
> .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
> I have a bazillion dot files in my home dir. I only copied and pasted a few.

To be clear:

[tcameron@wintermute ~]$ cleardots
rm: cannot remove `.' or `..'
rm: cannot remove `.' or `..'

Old 08-15-2010, 02:34 AM
James McKenzie

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> On 08/14/2010 08:55 PM, JD wrote:
>
>> If you want to pick up onlythe dot files, then use
>> .[a-zA-Z]*
>>
>> $ echo .[a-zA-Z]*
>> .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
>> I have a bazillion dot files in my home dir. I only copied and pasted a few.
>>

> Totally unnecessary, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Why do folks insist on using . files rather than making them visible?
Makes troubleshooting hell.

James McKenzie

Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 AM
JD

On 08/14/2010 07:34 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> Thomas Cameron wrote:
>> On 08/14/2010 08:55 PM, JD wrote:
>>
>>> If you want to pick up onlythe dot files, then use
>>> .[a-zA-Z]*
>>>
>>> $ echo .[a-zA-Z]*
>>> .AbiSuite .adobe .alias .amaya .amazonmp3 .asoundrc .aspell.en.prepl
>>> I have a bazillion dot files in my home dir. I only copied and pasted a few.
>>>
>> Totally unnecessary, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.
>>
> Why do folks insist on using . files rather than making them visible?
> Makes troubleshooting hell.
>
> James McKenzie

I do not know the history of why they chose dot files AND make them
invisible to the shell.
But one thought comes to mind is perhaps to make ls (without -a) present
a less cluttered view?
Maybe someone with info on the first bell labs unix version 6 has more
detailed knowledge of this.