Old 01-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Da Rock

Default Xdmxp login to remote machine via gdm

Guys, I know that the current version of gdm on fedora has a serious lack of support for remote xdmcp login, but I need a workaround! I want to login from a crappy machine using XP to relieve a bottleneck of systems using VMWare and a fc8 appliance. (Upon repair under warranty this mc will be scrapped and loaded with FC8 native as all my other mc's- bloody windows!)

As far as I understand the new gdm 2.2.2.1 offers some relief. So is there a rpm for this or hasn't it been looked into yet? If not then, if I install from source how do I make an rpm?

*

Cheers

Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:40:29 +0000
Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Guys, I know that the current version of gdm on fedora has a serious lack of support for remote xdmcp login, but I need a workaround! I want to login from a crappy machine using XP to relieve a bottleneck of systems using VMWare and a fc8 appliance.

I have found that sticking with gdm-2.20.1-7.fc8 works well with my LTSP
setup. You can download that from any of the mirrors.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Da Rock

I tried gdm-2.20.1-5 but I still couldn't get it to work- but then maybe I had already screwed the system up with all my changes.

*

Out of curiosity how did you get it to show the chooser? Was it under the action menu with the power button icon? I tried editing the config file directly and enabled the xdmcp, chooser, and set the chooser program. Is this correct? Or is there another setting I need to enable?

*

Also I did this in editing the /usr/share/gdm/default.conf file - am I editing the right file?

*

Thanks for the info.

> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:06:46 -0600
> From: theatre@sasktel.net
> Subject: Re: Xdmxp login to remote machine via gdm
> To: fedora-list@redhat.com
> CC: rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com
>
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:40:29 +0000
> Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Guys, I know that the current version of gdm on fedora has a serious lack of support for remote xdmcp login, but I need a workaround! I want to login from a crappy machine using XP to relieve a bottleneck of systems using VMWare and a fc8 appliance.
>
> I have found that sticking with gdm-2.20.1-7.fc8 works well with my LTSP
> setup. You can download that from any of the mirrors.

Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:38:19 +0000
Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I tried gdm-2.20.1-5 but I still couldn't get it to work- but then maybe I had already screwed the system up with all my changes.

Quite likely.

> Out of curiosity how did you get it to show the chooser? Was it under the action menu with the power button icon? I tried editing the config file directly and enabled the xdmcp, chooser, and set the chooser program. Is this correct? Or is there another setting I need to enable?

ltspadmin sets that up for you if you want it to.

> Also I did this in editing the /usr/share/gdm/default.conf file - am I editing the right file?

No you are not editing the right file.

/etc/gdm/custom.conf

Old 01-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Brian Chadwick

Frank Cox wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:40:29 +0000
Guys, I know that the current version of gdm on fedora has a serious lack of support for remote xdmcp login, but I need a workaround! I want to login from a crappy machine using XP to relieve a bottleneck of systems using VMWare and a fc8 appliance.

I have found that sticking with gdm-2.20.1-7.fc8 works well with my LTSP
setup. You can download that from any of the mirrors.

What serious lack of support? XDMCP works fine here ...

System > Administration> Login Window > Remote > Style > Same as Local.

You just have to restart X

no probs with it

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 AM
Da Rock

Just to address the last post on this subject - Where my problem lies is not in allowing others accessing this computer by remote x but this computer accessing others by remote. A search on google produced several docs stating that only certain gdm versions will allow you to choose to access a remote x server.

*

I checked out ltsp but it seems more based on allowing remote access in this computer then setting up this computer to access others (I could be wrong though, but I can't see where it is). I just updated the software and went from gdm-2.20.1-5 to gdm-2.20.2-2. No good. I've edited the custom file but no change. I'll just uninstall this version and try and locate the version you have mentioned to me- maybe its the key to it all...

*

Thanks all.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Da Rock

Ok. So I've now got the right gdm - the version info mentions the remote x explicitly as fixed. I believe my problem is now in the custom.conf.

*

I've edited the /etc/gdm/custom.conf and added the following lines:

[chooser]

Chooser=/usr/libexec/gdmchooser

*

[greeter]

ChooserButton=true

*

*

None of this has worked. I must be cursed here or something...

*

So I tried setting ChooserButton to enable- NG.

*

I ran gdmchooser from the commandline and it worked so its not that. What have I missed?

Just to address the last post on this subject - Where my problem lies is not in allowing others accessing this computer by remote x but this computer accessing others by remote. A search on google produced several docs stating that only certain gdm versions will allow you to choose to access a remote x server.
*
I checked out ltsp but it seems more based on allowing remote access in this computer then setting up this computer to access others (I could be wrong though, but I can't see where it is). I just updated the software and went from gdm-2.20.1-5 to gdm-2.20.2-2. No good. I've edited the custom file but no change. I'll just uninstall this version and try and locate the version you have mentioned to me- maybe its the key to it all...
*
Thanks all.

> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:32:32 +1000
> From: brianchad@westnet.com.au
> To: fedora-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Xdmxp login to remote machine via gdm
>
> Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:40:29 +0000
> > Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Guys, I know that the current version of gdm on fedora has a serious lack of support for remote xdmcp login, but I need a workaround! I want to login from a crappy machine using XP to relieve a bottleneck of systems using VMWare and a fc8 appliance.
> >>

> > I have found that sticking with gdm-2.20.1-7.fc8 works well with my LTSP
> > setup. You can download that from any of the mirrors.
> >

> What serious lack of support? XDMCP works fine here ...
>
> System > Administration> Login Window > Remote > Style > Same as Local.
>
> You just have to restart X
>
> no probs with it

Find it at www.seek.com.au Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it!
Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

Just to address the last post on this subject - Where my problem
lies is not in allowing others accessing this computer by remote x
but this computer accessing others by remote. A search on google
produced several docs stating that only certain gdm versions will
allow you to choose to access a remote x server.

I checked out ltsp but it seems more based on allowing remote

access in this computer then setting up this computer to access
others (I could be wrong though, but I can't see where it is). I
just updated the software and went from gdm-2.20.1-5 to
gdm-2.20.2-2. No good. I've edited the custom file but no change.
I'll just uninstall this version and try and locate the version
you have mentioned to me- maybe its the key to it all...

Thanks all.

> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:32:32 +1000
> From: brianchad@westnet.com.au
> To: fedora-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Xdmxp login to remote machine via gdm
>
> Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:40:29 +0000
> > Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Guys, I know that the current version of gdm on fedora has a
serious lack of support for remote xdmcp login, but I need a
workaround! I want to login from a crappy machine using XP to
relieve a bottleneck of systems using VMWare and a fc8 appliance.

> > I have found that sticking with gdm-2.20.1-7.fc8 works well
with my LTSP
> > setup. You can download that from any of the mirrors.
> >

> What serious lack of support? XDMCP works fine here ...
>
> System > Administration> Login Window > Remote > Style > Same as
Local.

> You just have to restart X
>
> no probs with it

Find it at www.seek.com.au Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then
be it!
<http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/?tracking%3Dsk:het:sk:nine:0:hot:text&_t=764565661 &_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT>

Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.
<http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=832&referral=hotma iltaglineOct07&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/roguetraders>

edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf

add this section

[xdmcp]

Enable=true

then restart X

Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Da Rock

Surprisingly enough this didn't work. From what the docs say this is not necessary for connection to a remote server. I've just gone through the docs again for gdm (on the gnome site this time), and tried setting SystemMenu=true under [greeter] but that didn't work either. Nothing seems to change this gdm- am I changing the right one? /etc/gdm/custom.conf?

*

We now know that I have the right gdm version to permit this, I'm supposedly adjusting the right conf file- what am I missing here?

*

KDM offers a chooser, but the system spits the dummy for some reason when I connect and won't work properly.

*

I've opened the xdmcp ports (177) on the firewall for both tcp and udp as well.

*

I've never had this much trouble setting up this on any other mc.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Brian Chadwick

Da Rock wrote:
> [...]

> > Local.
> > >
> > > You just have to restart X
> > >
> > > no probs with it
> > >
> > > --

> > Find it at www.seek.com.au Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then
> > be it!

<http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/?tracking%3Dsk:het:sk:nine:0:hot:text&_t=764565661 &_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT>

> > Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

<http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=832&referral=hotma iltaglineOct07&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/roguetraders>

> edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf
>
> add this section
>
> [xdmcp]
>
> Enable=true
>

> then restart X

Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

have you restarted X? ... you have to get right out of X and restart the
server. I do this by opening a terminal, typing as root telinit 3

then log in to the console and type telinit 5.