Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Default HowTo , Connecting wlan0 when in Single user mode

Fc12, X86_64

While in Single User mode, how do I start wlan0 to connect to a WEP
192.168.1.1 Router .

Eth0 is not available in this application.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 15:58 -0400, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Fc12, X86_64
>
> While in Single User mode, how do I start wlan0 to connect to a WEP
> 192.168.1.1 Router .
>
> Eth0 is not available in this application.
----
are you averse to the official documentation?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/User_Guide/index.html

Perhaps you should start there, especially the section on connecting to
the Internet/NetworkManager/Wireless

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Martin Airs

Hi there,

Go into your desktop of choice, and right click on the network manager
icon, then edit connections and edit the wireless connection you want
available in runlevel 3

then tick the box to "make available to all users"

then when you go into runlevel 3 that connection will still be connected
in runlevel 3

Martin Airs
http://www.airs.me.uk

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
JD

On 08/13/2010 12:58 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Fc12, X86_64
>
> While in Single User mode, how do I start wlan0 to connect to a WEP
> 192.168.1.1 Router .
>
> Eth0 is not available in this application.
service wpa_supplicant start
wait a few minutes for the wpa supplicant to sync up with router
then
service network start

That's it.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 PM
JD

On 08/13/2010 01:56 PM, Martin Airs wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Go into your desktop of choice, and right click on the network manager
> icon, then edit connections and edit the wireless connection you want
> available in runlevel 3
>
> then tick the box to "make available to all users"
>
> then when you go into runlevel 3 that connection will still be connected
> in runlevel 3
>

> Martin Airs
> http://www.airs.me.uk

Hi Martin,
the OP said single user mode,
so there is no desktop.
I have already responded to him
with exactly I do when in single user mode
and need wireless internet in that mode.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 14:42 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 12:58 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> > Fc12, X86_64
> >
> > While in Single User mode, how do I start wlan0 to connect to a WEP
> > 192.168.1.1 Router .
> >
> > Eth0 is not available in this application.
> service wpa_supplicant start
> wait a few minutes for the wpa supplicant to sync up with router
> then
> service network start
>
> That's it.

Wonderful. Now one responder told him to use NetworkManager and you've
just told him to use something incompatible with NM. Unless there's
clear evidence that NM is causing him problems, this is only going to
lead to headaches down the road.

poc

Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 14:42 -0700, JD wrote:
>> On 08/13/2010 12:58 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
>> > * *Fc12, X86_64
>> >
>> > While in Single User mode, how do I start wlan0 to connect to a WEP
>> > 192.168.1.1 Router .
>> >
>> > Eth0 is not available in this application.
>> service wpa_supplicant start
>> wait a few minutes for the wpa supplicant to sync up with router
>> then
>> service network start
>
> Wonderful. Now one responder told him to use NetworkManager and you've
> just told him to use something incompatible with NM. Unless there's
> clear evidence that NM is causing him problems, this is only going to
> lead to headaches down the road.

I missed the "use NM" email. Does NM work in single-user mode?!

wpa_supplicant isn't needed to wep anyway.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 PM
JD

> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 14:42 -0700, JD wrote:
>> On 08/13/2010 12:58 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
>>> Fc12, X86_64
>>>
>>> While in Single User mode, how do I start wlan0 to connect to a WEP
>>> 192.168.1.1 Router .
>>>
>>> Eth0 is not available in this application.
>> service wpa_supplicant start
>> wait a few minutes for the wpa supplicant to sync up with router
>> then
>> service network start
>>
>> That's it.
> Wonderful. Now one responder told him to use NetworkManager and you've
> just told him to use something incompatible with NM. Unless there's
> clear evidence that NM is causing him problems, this is only going to
> lead to headaches down the road.
>
> poc

No it is not.
As the OP states - he is in single user mode!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> service wpa_supplicant start
>>> wait a few minutes for the wpa supplicant to sync up with router
>>> then
>>> service network start
>>
>> Wonderful. Now one responder told him to use NetworkManager and you've
>> just told him to use something incompatible with NM. Unless there's
>> clear evidence that NM is causing him problems, this is only going to
>> lead to headaches down the road.
>
> I missed the "use NM" email. Does NM work in single-user mode?!
>
> wpa_supplicant isn't needed to wep anyway.

Forgot:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid <essid> key s:<asciikey>
dhclient wlan0

Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 PM
JD

On 08/13/2010 03:24 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> service wpa_supplicant start
>>> wait a few minutes for the wpa supplicant to sync up with router
>>> then
>>> service network start
>> Wonderful. Now one responder told him to use NetworkManager and you've
>> just told him to use something incompatible with NM. Unless there's
>> clear evidence that NM is causing him problems, this is only going to
>> lead to headaches down the road.
> I missed the "use NM" email. Does NM work in single-user mode?!
>
> wpa_supplicant isn't needed to wep anyway.
Back that up with a how to then!!
Usually it is wpa_supplicant which will drive the usual wext driver
to communicate with the underlying wifi chipset driver.
Unless the OP has specified a different driver in
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant.