Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Karl Larsen

Default F8 is a problem

Yes I know Fedora is a testing ground. Yes I know most of you tigers
think I am stupid and for some good grounds. But I am a muli-million
dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or where the next
meal comes from.

But I DO worry why I can't get F8 to work. It works a few days and
then goes to hell. So I am back here on F7 which seems to work well. At
least the audio is good and I can do things I must.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Jim Cornette

Karl Larsen wrote:
Yes I know Fedora is a testing ground. Yes I know most of you tigers
think I am stupid and for some good grounds. But I am a muli-million
dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or where the next
meal comes from.

But I DO worry why I can't get F8 to work. It works a few days and
then goes to hell. So I am back here on F7 which seems to work well. At
least the audio is good and I can do things I must.

Karl

I still have an Fedora 7 system, not because one version is problematic
over another but because I downloaded the image and never burned a DVD
for the other computer yet.

I do now have a problem with the Fedora 7 computer where nmd or some
other factor related to names for the server to connect is busted but I
can still use the ip. The speed for transfers is faster than the windows
server for the same task, so I'll wait for a fix once I get the DVD
burned for an upgrade or just wait until Fedora 9 is released.

Basically, if one version works for you and is still supported with
updates, there is no great reason to rush for an upgrade in version. If
Fedora 7 works best for you, you have awhile before it becomes
unsupported. Fedora 9 is not yet in the alpha phase so time is not critical.

Regarding finances, I'm far from rich.

Jim

--
"But I don't like Spam!!!!"

Old 01-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Karl Larsen

Jim Cornette wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:
[...]

Hi Jim, well I really have had nothing but trouble with F8. I can
get zero help from this list so I will just relax and enjoy F7. As for
your problem, nmd what ever that is must be working :-)

On F8 the sound is failing and no known cause for this. I will soon
not be working on anything. I think it is a big problem.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Bruce Byfield

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 18:20 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> >> But I DO worry why I can't get F8 to work. It works a few days and
> >> then goes to hell. So I am back here on F7 which seems to work well.
> >> At least the audio is good and I can do things I must.

Other people have a problem here and there with Fedora 8, but you are
the only person I have encountered who has major problems every couple
of days. Possibly you have stablized your Fedora 7 install, but I seem
to remember you having similar rounds of problems with it. Your
problem-solving techniques seem very unsystematic, and you are far too
quick to declare that something is broken. I am not trying to put you
down, but all these observations suggest that the problem isn't with the
software most of the time, but with how you are exploring it.

You might have better luck if you asked questions before you tried
anything major. Also, you might consider making a backup of your system
before trying any major change so that you can restore your system when
disaster strikes, and keeping systematic notes of what you have done so
that people can help you better. These measures alone would make your
life (to say nothing of your interactions on this list) much less
angst-ridden.

Perhaps, too, you might start a thread abouts how to explore your
system, and see what other advice people can give.

Just a thought,
--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada

Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Brian Chadwick

Karl Larsen wrote:
Yes I know Fedora is a testing ground. Yes I know most of you
tigers think I am stupid and for some good grounds. But I am a
muli-million dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or
where the next meal comes from.

But I DO worry why I can't get F8 to work. It works a few days and
then goes to hell. So I am back here on F7 which seems to work well.
At least the audio is good and I can do things I must.

Karl

Fedora is not multi-million dollar idiot proof

Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 AM
max

Karl Larsen wrote:
Yes I know Fedora is a testing ground. Yes I know most of you tigers
think I am stupid and for some good grounds. But I am a muli-million
dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or where the next
meal comes from.

But I DO worry why I can't get F8 to work. It works a few days and
then goes to hell. So I am back here on F7 which seems to work well. At
least the audio is good and I can do things I must.

Karl

You make a habit of running as root, dont you?

-Max

Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 AM
"Michael Schwendt"

On 19/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim, well I really have had nothing but trouble with F8.

Doesn't surprise me. I also reinstalled F8 on Sun 09 Dec 2007, but
after more problems than losing only pulseaudio and related gstreamer
components. Too many untested or poorly tested updates are published
for F8. It is a moving target.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 AM
"Colin Brace"

On Jan 19, 2008 1:38 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Yes I know Fedora is a testing ground. Yes I know most of you tigers
> think I am stupid and for some good grounds. But I am a muli-million
> dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or where the next
> meal comes from.

Have you tried Ubuntu yet? It may be more your speed. No pulse audio either.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 01-19-2008, 04:14 AM
Ed Greshko

Karl Larsen wrote:
Yes I know Fedora is a testing ground. Yes I know most of you
tigers think I am stupid and for some good grounds. But I am a
muli-million dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or
where the next meal comes from.

The fine folks at the fedora project will graciously accept a donation.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:38:11 -0700
Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> But I am a muli-million
> dollar person who worries not about gasoline prices or where the next
> meal comes from.

Karl, you don't have to keep on bringing this up.

It proves nothing about anything because there is no direct correlation between
making or having lots of money and common sense and general intelligence. A
large number of fools have managed to acquire substantial amounts of cash
through luck, connections, and the like. On the other hand, a large number of
highly intelligent people are quite poor, due to anything from lack of
ambition or an interest in things acquiring money, and sometimes due to poor
decisions or simple bad luck.

Bringing "I've got millions of dollars" into every possible occasion simply
makes you look conceited. A fool with money is still a fool.