Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
kalinix

Default Fedora 13 Samba weirdness

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 13:36 +0100, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:

> Yes, provide the password via PASSWD environment variable

not feasible, as PASSWD env var is already used.
And anyway, by using it I have the same error:

[calin@calin ~]$ sudo mount //sambaserver/share /local/mountpoint -o
username=USER
mount: block device //sambaserver/share is write-protected, mounting
read-only
mount: cannot mount block device //sambaserver/share read-only

> or via a
> credentials file. man mount.cifs
>
> --
> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

Now this becomes weirder:

[calin@calin ~]$ man mount.cifs
No manual entry for mount.cifs

[calin@calin ~]$ yum search mount.cifs
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security
Warning: No matches found for: mount.cifs
No Matches found

man mount:

Mount options for cifs
See the options section of the mount.cifs(8) man page
(samba-client package
must be installed).

[calin@calin ~]$ yum list samba-client
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security
Installed Packages
samba-client.x86_64 3.5.4-62.fc13
@updates

Any ideea where I could find that man for mount.cifs?

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Eugene Jansen van Rensburg

1.* create a file anyware containing your credentials (I used /etc/.smbcreds) mybe use a place that only you can access
*** Formate it like this
*** username=yourusername
*** password=yourpassword

2.* run the mount command like this

*** mount -t cifs //server_ip/share /yourmountpoint/ -o credentials=/etc/.smbcreds

I use this on fedora 13 with no problems and no password in the mount command output

hope it helps
***

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:07, kalinix <calin.kalinix.cosma@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 13:36 +0100, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:

> Yes, provide the password via PASSWD environment variable

not feasible, as PASSWD env var is already used.

And anyway, by using it I have the same error:

[calin@calin ~]$ sudo mount //sambaserver/share /local/mountpoint -o

username=USER

mount: block device //sambaserver/share is write-protected, mounting

read-only

mount: cannot mount block device //sambaserver/share read-only

> or via a

> credentials file. man mount.cifs

> --

> Nux!

> www.nux.ro

Now this becomes weirder:

[calin@calin ~]$ man mount.cifs

No manual entry for mount.cifs

[calin@calin ~]$ yum search mount.cifs

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security

Warning: No matches found for: mount.cifs

No Matches found

man mount:

Mount options for cifs

* * * See *the *options *section *of the mount.cifs(8) man page

(samba-client package

* * * must be installed).

[calin@calin ~]$ yum list samba-client

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security

Installed Packages

samba-client.x86_64 * * * * * * * * * * * * * *3.5.4-62.fc13

@updates

Any ideea where I could find that man for mount.cifs?

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

Eugene
Jansen van Rensburg
eMail:
eugenejvr@gmail.com

"Quit is NOT an option"

Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM

kalinix writes:

> Today I saw a very weird behavior when mount samba shares.
> On F11, I used to mount samba shares with the following command:
>
> mount //sambaserver/share /local/mountpoint -o username=USER
>
> Then I was prompted for a password. This way, my password was never
> printed on the screen.
> Now on F13, when I tried the same scenario, I got an error message:
>
> share mount is write-protected, mounting read-only
> could not mount share in write protected mode.
>
> After I googled around, I found that, in order to solve the problem, i
> have also to pass the password as an option to mount, like:
>
> mount //sambaserver/share /local/mountpoint -o
> username=USER,passwd=PASSWORD
>
> Only thing is, by doing this the password will show up in 'mount'
> output:
>
> //sambaserver/share on /local/mountpoint type cifs
> (rw,user=USER,passwd=PASSWORD)
>
> and is not visible to me only, but to any user on that system that runs
> mount command.
>
> Does anyone knows how to avoid this?

Yes, provide the password via PASSWD environment variable or via a

Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 PM
kalinix

Actually, I discovered that I don't have cifs-utils package installed.
Now it works as it supposed to: prompting for a password at the console.

TYA

Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Bill Davidsen

Eugene Jansen van Rensburg wrote:
> 1. create a file anyware containing your credentials (I used
> /etc/.smbcreds) mybe use a place that only you can access
> Formate it like this
> username=yourusername
> password=yourpassword
>
> 2. run the mount command like this
> mount -t cifs //server_ip/share /yourmountpoint/ -o
> credentials=/etc/.smbcreds
>
> I use this on fedora 13 with no problems and no password in the mount
> command output
>
> hope it helps

Vastly, I haven't had the problem but I now have a pointer in my tips file, so
when someone asks I can look smart. ;-)

Many thanks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>