Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Albert Bonomo

Default Kernel-devel

Hi,
I'm trying to install an Asterisk server o a Fedora 11 server, 64 bit.
The process required from me to install the kernel-devel package.
I run 'yum install kernel-devel' and it tells me there is no kernel-devel packages.

[root@ns310181 include]# uname -r
2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64

[root@ns310181 include]# yum install kernel-devel
Setting up Install Process
No package kernel-devel available.
Nothing to do

[root@ns310181 include]# rpm -q kernel

package kernel is not installed

[root@ns310181 include]# rpm -q kernel-devel
package kernel-devel is not installed
[root@ns310181 include]#

I serch the internet and there is no 2.6.33.5....rpm package to install with rpm command.

I had the same problem with Fedora 13 so I decided to downgrade to Fedora11.

I did the same install in a Fedora 12 system, some time ago with no problem at all.

Is there something that I'm missing here? The Fedora 12 system in wich I succeeded to install

was managed by other people. I just did the job of installing de Asterisk.

There must be something that I'm missing that it is not letting me install de kernel-devel headers.

Thanks.
Albert.

--
@apetob at Tweeter

Those who understand binary and those who don't

Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 08/12/2010 02:04 PM, Albert Bonomo wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install an Asterisk server o a Fedora 11 server, 64 bit.
> The process required from me to install the kernel-devel package.
> I run 'yum install kernel-devel' and it tells me there is no
> kernel-devel packages.
>
> [root@ns310181 include]# uname -r
> 2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64
>
> [root@ns310181 include]# yum install kernel-devel
> Setting up Install Process
> No package kernel-devel available.
> Nothing to do
>
> [root@ns310181 include]# rpm -q kernel
> package kernel is not installed

This is the command I'd be worried about. You almost *have* to have a
kernel installed. What does:

rpm -qa kernel*

tell you? Do you have a PAE kernel installed? or some other?

the following should also work:

rpm -qa | grep 2.6.33.5

and tell you what kernel dependent packages you have installed.

kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us

Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Albert Bonomo

Kevin, my man, you know what you r talking about !!!
here you have the command output:

[root@ns310181 include]# rpm -qa kernel*
kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

or the other one ( shorter )
[root@ns310181 include]# rpm -qa | grep 2.6

kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
tar-1.22-6.fc11.x86_64
python-2.6-12.fc11.x86_64
nss-tools-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64
psmisc-22.6-9.fc11.x86_64
udev-extras-20090226-0.5.20090302git.fc11.x86_64

nss-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64
gnutls-2.6.6-3.fc11.x86_64
sudo-1.7.2p6-2.fc11.x86_64
gnutls-devel-2.6.6-3.fc11.x86_64
grep-2.6.3-1.fc11.x86_64
patch-2.6.1-1.fc11.x86_64
libtool-ltdl-2.2.6-11.fc11.3.x86_64

python-libs-2.6-12.fc11.x86_64
ssmtp-2.61-14.fc11.x86_64
iproute-2.6.29-2.fc11.x86_64
nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64

Now I see the real kernel. I'm running on 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
I can also see that I have header installed: kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

The question would be, where ?
So, I wonder why 'uname -r' gives me this crap: 2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 ????
And why 'yum install kernel-devel' doesn't work ?

Thanks for the answer.

you'r the man
Albert

Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM

-----------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [root@ns310181 include]# yum install kernel-devel
> Setting up Install Process
> No package kernel-devel available.
> Nothing to do

Fedora 11 is long dead. Support stopped one month after F13 came out
and that was around 2010-05-26. You have to upgrade to F13 (or at least
F12) if you want to install any new rpm's from the repositories.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ (IPv6-only)

Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 08/12/2010 03:10 PM, Albert Bonomo wrote:
> Kevin, my man, you know what you r talking about !!!
> here you have the command output:
>
> [root@ns310181 include]# rpm -qa kernel*
> kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
>
> or the other one ( shorter )
> [root@ns310181 include]# rpm -qa | grep 2.6
> *kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64*
> tar-1.22-6.fc11.x86_64
> python-2.6-12.fc11.x86_64
> nss-tools-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64
> psmisc-22.6-9.fc11.x86_64
> udev-extras-20090226-0.5.20090302git.fc11.x86_64
> nss-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64
> gnutls-2.6.6-3.fc11.x86_64
> sudo-1.7.2p6-2.fc11.x86_64
> gnutls-devel-2.6.6-3.fc11.x86_64
> grep-2.6.3-1.fc11.x86_64
> patch-2.6.1-1.fc11.x86_64
> libtool-ltdl-2.2.6-11.fc11.3.x86_64
> python-libs-2.6-12.fc11.x86_64
> ssmtp-2.61-14.fc11.x86_64
> iproute-2.6.29-2.fc11.x86_64
> nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64
>
> Now I see the real kernel. I'm running on 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

Ah, no, you are not. if uname says you are running on 2.6.33.5, you
have booted a 2.6.33.5 kernel. The question now becomes, where is it,
and where did it come from? If you have no kernel RPM installed, then
where did your kernel come from. I have both a kernel and a
kernel-headers package installed (in fact, I have a couple of kernels
installed) on most of my systems.

On my 1 F11 system, I have:

> # rpm -q -a kernel*
> kernel-headers-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586
> kernel-devel-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586
> kernel-doc-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.noarch
> kernel-firmware-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.noarch
> kernel-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586
> kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586

and I'm running:

> # uname -r
> 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586

As you can see, I also have kernel-2.6.29.4-167 installed, but I'm not
booting it.

You need to look at your /etc/grub.conf file (or where it really lives
in /boot/grub/grub.conf) and see what kernels you system can boot from.
Perhaps that will shed some light on where your 2.6.33.5 kernel has come
from. You haven't installed anything from another non-RPM source have you?

BTW, the following are current F13 kernels:

> rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.33.5-124.fc13.i686
> kernel-2.6.33.6-147.fc13.i686
> kernel-2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686

You, obviously, are running on x86_64 hardware.

> I can also see that I have header installed:
> *kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
> *The question would be, where ?*
> *So, I wonder why 'uname -r' gives me this crap:
> 2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 ????
> And why 'yum install kernel-devel' doesn't work ?

I can't answer that without seeing more of your yum output (where is it
looking for kernels, etc). But, if you are running a non-rpm kernel,
building/installing other software is going to give you miles and miles
of grief. And finding/installing RPMs is going to be next to impossible
in cases like this.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Albert Bonomo

Kevin, I'm using a server from a company in spain that rents dedicated servers.
At first, the server was setup with Fedora 13. Clean, no other stuff in it.
I started the process of installing Asterisk the same way I did with another server that we have

but with Fedora 12. This other server was already 'prepered' by someone else. They let
me the server after using it for a while and I successfully installed Asterisk on it with no problems at all.
yum install kernel-devel and everything else worked fine.

So, when I started to have problems on the new server with Fedora 13, I decided to downgrade to Fedora 12.
The problem is that the company that rents me the server, don't support Fedora 12 anymore.
They have Fedora 11 or 13. So I choose Fedora 11x64. And here I'm.

With fedora 13 I couldn't install gcc either. Some dependencies were looking for kernel > 2.2.1 or
something like it. So I decided to downgrade to 12.( that became 11 becouse the didn't have 12 )

Someone here told me Fedora 11 is no longer supported. Is that true ? No more repos available ?

So far the only thing that I can not do is to install kernel-devel.
Can I install some other version of kernel-devel and compile anyway ? Can I trick it by changing the dir name ?

Asterisk needs this headers to 'make' it so ...

Here you have the /etc/grub.conf
[root@ns310181 etc]# more grub.conf
default=0
timeout=5

*** title linux fedora11_64
*** kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 root=/dev/md1* ro

*** root (hd0,0)

Looks like a "special" Fedora version ( some xxxx there ), not a free one you can download from internet.
May be the guys that let me the other server, installed a new kernel. Can I do that ?

Can you give me some tips ( tips, guides, urls ) on how to do it ? I see that you are kind of an expert on linux.
Obviously I'm not. But not afraid to try new things.

u'r d man !!!

Thanks.
Albert.

2010/8/12 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>

On 08/12/2010 03:10 PM, Albert Bonomo wrote:

> Kevin, my man, you know what you r talking about !!!

> here you have the command output:

> [root@ns310181 include]# rpm -qa kernel*

> kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

> or the other one ( shorter )

> [root@ns310181 include]# rpm -qa | grep 2.6

> *kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64*

> tar-1.22-6.fc11.x86_64

> python-2.6-12.fc11.x86_64

> nss-tools-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64

> psmisc-22.6-9.fc11.x86_64

> udev-extras-20090226-0.5.20090302git.fc11.x86_64

> nss-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64

> gnutls-2.6.6-3.fc11.x86_64

> sudo-1.7.2p6-2.fc11.x86_64

> gnutls-devel-2.6.6-3.fc11.x86_64

> grep-2.6.3-1.fc11.x86_64

> patch-2.6.1-1.fc11.x86_64

> libtool-ltdl-2.2.6-11.fc11.3.x86_64

> python-libs-2.6-12.fc11.x86_64

> ssmtp-2.61-14.fc11.x86_64

> iproute-2.6.29-2.fc11.x86_64

> nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.6-1.2.fc11.x86_64

> Now I see the real kernel. I'm running on 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

Ah, no, you are not. *if uname says you are running on 2.6.33.5, you

have booted a 2.6.33.5 kernel. *The question now becomes, where is it,

and where did it come from? *If you have no kernel RPM installed, then

where did your kernel come from. *I have both a kernel and a

kernel-headers package installed (in fact, I have a couple of kernels

installed) on most of my systems.

On my 1 F11 system, I have:

> # rpm -q -a kernel*

> kernel-headers-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586

> kernel-devel-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586

> kernel-doc-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.noarch

> kernel-firmware-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.noarch

> kernel-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586

> kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586

and I'm running:

Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 08/12/2010 04:15 PM, Albert Bonomo wrote:
> Kevin, I'm using a server from a company in spain that rents dedicated
> servers.
> At first, the server was setup with Fedora 13. Clean, no other stuff in it.
> I started the process of installing Asterisk the same way I did with
> another server that we have
> but with Fedora 12. This other server was already 'prepered' by someone
> else. They let
> me the server after using it for a while and I successfully installed
> Asterisk on it with no problems at all.

I'm confused. Fedora has an Asterisk RPM in their repositories. How
hard can it be?

> yum install kernel-devel and everything else worked fine.

Which bring us back to the question of what kernel RPMs were
installed/available on your server system.

> So, when I started to have problems on the new server with Fedora 13, I
> decided to downgrade to Fedora 12.
> The problem is that the company that rents me the server, don't support
> Fedora 12 anymore.
> They have Fedora 11 or 13. So I choose Fedora 11x64. And here I'm.

I'd go back to Fedora 13 at this point.

What problems did you have with Asterisk?

> With fedora 13 I couldn't install gcc either. Some dependencies were
> looking for kernel > 2.2.1 or
> something like it. So I decided to downgrade to 12.( that became 11
> becouse the didn't have 12 )

gcc is also available in RPMs. You should not be having these problems.
I suspect you are not installing software properly.

> Someone here told me Fedora 11 is no longer supported. Is that true ? No
> more repos available ?

Fedora 11 hit End-Of-Life 1-2 months after Fedora 13 was made available
for general release (May 25, 2010), which would have been between June
25-July 25, 2010. So, Yes. Fedora 11 is no longer supported.

The repos from Fedora are still available, they just aren't getting any
more updates. Certain 3rd party repos are still updating their copies
of Fedora 11 software, but not all are. It really is recommended that
you update to either Fedora 12, Fedora 13, or the yet unreleased Fedora
14 (currently in ALPHA).

> So far the only thing that I can not do is to install kernel-devel.

>From what I've seen, you are *not* running a Fedora 11 kernel, therefore
you will have problems installing software that has particular kernel
dependencies. And guess what? kernel-devel needs a proper kernel RPM
to be installed.

> Can I install some other version of kernel-devel and compile anyway ?

You will need the proper kernel-headers for the version of the kernel
that you are building your software to run on. I strongly suggest that
you back to a vanilla Fedora 13 install (*with a proper F13 kernel*) and
install the Fedora RPM for asterisk.

> Can I trick it by changing the dir name ?

RPM dependencies arise from looking at the RPM database. You'd have to
trick that. Makefile dependencies can be tricked with symlinks.
Personally, I wouldn't trust any software built by tricking
dependencies. You are just asking for trouble when things don't match
up in your running kernel.

> Asterisk needs this headers to 'make' it so ...

Install the already built asterisk package from Fedora.

> Here you have the /etc/grub.conf
> [root@ns310181 etc]# more grub.conf
> default=0
> timeout=5
>
> title linux fedora11_64
> kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 root=/dev/md1 ro
> root (hd0,0)
>
> Looks like a "special" Fedora version ( some xxxx there ), not a free
> one you can download from internet.
> May be the guys that let me the other server, installed a new kernel.
> Can I do that ?
> Can you give me some tips ( tips, guides, urls ) on how to do it ? I see
> that you are kind of an expert on linux.
> Obviously I'm not. But not afraid to try new things.

Back to basics until you rise above the newbie stage.

> u'r d man !!!

Good Luck. (And please! Learn how to use a spell checker!)