Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Mats Rauhala

Default Freeze during booting when ACPI enabled

This problem has been occuring for a longer time and with multiple
kernels. During booting _most_ of the time, not always the computer
freezes during early stages. With other distros the the booting has
stopped after giving out a couple of "HT MSI Mapping" lines, but with
fedora (noquiet) I can only see some power button information. This
happens only when ACPI is enabled.

I could theoretically leave acpi off but it's PITA to manually shut down
the computer from the power button every time.

MSI K9n ultra.

--
Mats Rauhala
sip:MasseR@ekiga.net

Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/12/2010 10:00 AM, Mats Rauhala wrote:
> This problem has been occuring for a longer time and with multiple
> kernels. During booting _most_ of the time, not always the computer
> freezes during early stages. With other distros the the booting has
> stopped after giving out a couple of "HT MSI Mapping" lines, but with
> fedora (noquiet) I can only see some power button information. This
> happens only when ACPI is enabled.
>
> I could theoretically leave acpi off but it's PITA to manually shut down
> the computer from the power button every time.
>
> MSI K9n ultra.

Make sure the BIOS on the motherboard is current. Many have iffy or
non-standard ACPI implementations which the kernel doesn't like.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Mats Rauhala

Was afraid of that as I don't own a floppy drive. I'll look into some
other ways of updating though.

--
Mats Rauhala
sip:MasseR@ekiga.net