Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Steve Searle

Default Accessing a DNS server fails on an alternate IP address

I have a DNS server running on a physical server 192.168.126.1. However
I like to split all my services onto their own IP addresses for ease of
migration, so I logically assign 192.168.126.154 to this server using
the following lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.126.154
route add -host 192.168.126.154 dev eth0:2

This makes it more straightforward if I ever want to move the service to
a different physical server - I just reassign the logical IP address.

However I cannot access the server using the alternate address. In other
words:

$ dig @192.168.126.1 capercaillie

works as expected, but:

$ dig @192.168.126.154 capercaillie

returns a "no servers could be reached" message. This happens even if I
take down the firewall on the server.

I have got round it by getting the dhcp server to give out the ...126.1
address, but would prefer to get the ...126.154 address working.

The client machines are running Fedora 13, but the server is running
CentOS 5.5.

Any thoughts?

Steve

--

Website: www.stevesearle.com
Twitter: @ReddishShift

13:23:46 up 50 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.04

Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Steve Searle <steve@stevesearle.com> wrote:
> I have a DNS server running on a physical server 192.168.126.1. However
> I like to split all my services onto their own IP addresses for ease of
> migration, so I logically assign 192.168.126.154 to this server using
> the following lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> *ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.126.154
> *route add -host 192.168.126.154 dev eth0:2
>
> This makes it more straightforward if I ever want to move the service to
> a different physical server - I just reassign the logical IP address.
>
> However I cannot access the server using the alternate address. In other
> words:
>
> *$ dig @192.168.126.1 capercaillie
> works as expected, but:
>
> *$ dig @192.168.126.154 capercaillie
> returns a "no servers could be reached" message. This happens even if I
> take down the firewall on the server.

Add a "listen-on" directive in bind.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
JB

Steve Searle <steve <at> stevesearle.com> writes:

> I have got round it by getting the dhcp server to give out the ...126.1
> address, but would prefer to get the ...126.154 address working.

Hi,
is this still valid ?
If you are configuring an Ethernet device to have an alias, neither the device
nor the alias can be configured to use DHCP. You must configure the IP addresses
manually.
JB

Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Searle <steve <at> stevesearle.com> writes:
>> I have got round it by getting the dhcp server to give out the ...126.1
>> address, but would prefer to get the ...126.154 address working.
>
> is this still valid ?
> If you are configuring an Ethernet device to have an alias, neither the device
> nor the alias can be configured to use DHCP. You must configure the IP addresses
> manually.

His device and alias do have static ip addresses.

His dhcp server is handing out the .1 dns server to dhclient requests.