Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
JD

Default flashplugin cpu hog

$ ps -wwef | grep 'plugin-containe'
jd 6519 6483 42 13:30 ? 00:01:16
/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/plugin-container
/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so 6483 plugin

Line grabbed from top:

6519 jd 20 0 292m 100m 22m S 51.4 5.0 2:06.64
plugin-containe

I have latest flash plugin from adobe.com installed:

flash-plugin-10.1.82.76-release.i386

Also, this cpu load by the flashplugin was there in spite of the fact I
had no flash playing on firefox.

So, I killed the process (not firefox).
I then played a youtube video, sure enough, cpu usage sckyrocketed to 79%.
I stopped the playback in FF and flashplugin now looked reasonable, but
still
using the cpu:

6645 jd 20 0 221m 39m 18m S 7.6 2.0 1:20.51
plugin-containe

So, Iwhat in blazes is it doing when I have nothing playing?
7.6% of cpu is a whole lot of cpu for doing nothing!
Does Adobe read this list??? They should take note!!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 13:57 -0700, JD wrote:
> $ ps -wwef | grep 'plugin-containe'
> jd 6519 6483 42 13:30 ? 00:01:16
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/plugin-container
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so 6483 plugin
>
> Line grabbed from top:
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 6519 jd 20 0 292m 100m 22m S 51.4 5.0 2:06.64
> plugin-containe
>
> I have latest flash plugin from adobe.com installed:
>
> flash-plugin-10.1.82.76-release.i386
>
> Also, this cpu load by the flashplugin was there in spite of the fact I
> had no flash playing on firefox.
>
> So, I killed the process (not firefox).
> I then played a youtube video, sure enough, cpu usage sckyrocketed to 79%.
> I stopped the playback in FF and flashplugin now looked reasonable, but
> still
> using the cpu:
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 6645 jd 20 0 221m 39m 18m S 7.6 2.0 1:20.51
> plugin-containe
>
> So, Iwhat in blazes is it doing when I have nothing playing?
> 7.6% of cpu is a whole lot of cpu for doing nothing!
> Does Adobe read this list??? They should take note!!
----
Recognize that Flash is not provided by Fedora which makes this pretty
much off-topic. I think it's safe to assume that Adobe does not read
this list.

Your commentary about flash/hog seems pretty much in line with Steve
Jobs reasoning for not allowing it to be ported to the iPhone (rooted
iPhones can now install a flash port but that is way, way, way OT). By
the way, it seems to work fairly well on my Android (Froyo).

My suggestion to you is that if you don't want to waste the cycles,
uninstall it.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 PM
JD

On 08/11/2010 03:56 PM, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> Recognize that Flash is not provided by Fedora which makes this pretty
> much off-topic. I think it's safe to assume that Adobe does not read
> this list.
>
> Your commentary about flash/hog seems pretty much in line with Steve
> Jobs reasoning for not allowing it to be ported to the iPhone (rooted
> iPhones can now install a flash port but that is way, way, way OT). By
> the way, it seems to work fairly well on my Android (Froyo).
>
> My suggestion to you is that if you don't want to waste the cycles,
> uninstall it.
>
> Craig

So, what's better (i.e. much less of a hog)?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 AM
James McKenzie

JD wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 03:56 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
>> ----
>> Recognize that Flash is not provided by Fedora which makes this pretty
>> much off-topic. I think it's safe to assume that Adobe does not read
>> this list.
>>
>> Your commentary about flash/hog seems pretty much in line with Steve
>> Jobs reasoning for not allowing it to be ported to the iPhone (rooted
>> iPhones can now install a flash port but that is way, way, way OT). By
>> the way, it seems to work fairly well on my Android (Froyo).
>>
>> My suggestion to you is that if you don't want to waste the cycles,
>> uninstall it.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> So, what's better (i.e. much less of a hog)?

{Off topic warning applied}

Staying away from sites that insist that you use Flash to view them?

Other than that, you are going to have to put up with the 'hoggeness' of
having that plugin running while Firefox is up.

James McKenzie